Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

Taro T
7 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Thanks y'all; confirmed she broke both ankles. Appt with the surgeon in 12 days to see if surgery is necessary on the left one.

You both will be in our prayers.  Glad it wasn't worse.

You sure seem to be due some good luck pdq.  Hoping it does.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
IDBillzFan

Far and away my favorite time of year. Having fawns born and raised in our backyard is an incredible blessing to witness each year.

20240619_063009.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The Guy In Pants

This heat is so crazy right now. I am over it. Ready for fall already. Wife has surgery tomorrow. Work has been crazy and lots of internal turmoil with leadership and the minions of which I am not surprised. The previous leadership let people get away with anything. Now there is a call for accountability and many are pushing back. As a middle manager, I am getting the shit from both directions. I'm just over here like "perhaps everyone should have been doing the right thing all along". I suppose that is the responsible adult in me. Even when no one is looking, the right thing to do is the right thing to do. Now I have dozens of whiny adult babies in need of diaper changes on one side and conceited "my way is always better" leadership on the other. Trying really hard to figure out a way to ditch this entire corporate America bullshit but thanks to the corruption of the state............ it's damn near impossible unless I want to be a worthless drunk who lives off of others or want to pretend I have a debilitating disease that prevents me from working. I don't want to stop working; I just want to do what I enjoy.....farming, craftsman stuff. 

Alas; the garden is thriving in this heat. I water every other day. Seems like it's working. I made a mistake and didn't pull early flowers off the tomato plants and now they've decided to be all bushy. They are doing so I'll just let them go. Below is a box of stuff I plucked the other day. I haver made many batches of spicy refrigerator pickles :). I love them. My wife likes the zucchini baked so I do that too. I like to pick the tomato right after blushing and let them ripen in the house. Less losses that way. As you can see, missed a couple small ones that went red way too quick. 

Anyway; wife added 2 more projects to the list that she would like. First; we bought a pool last year on Prime Day. She ended up not liking it. So, I am listing it for sale. She's decided on a hot tub. I found a nice used one from a friend. I will build a low floating deck for it right off the patio and then she wants me to put up a pergola. Cheaper if I just build one instead of buying. Way too damn expensive. I put together a material and cut list from a few videos on YouTube. She wants to help so that is all put off a couple weeks while she recovers. This weekend, I am going to build a storage rack in the garage for all the totes. Now that all my tooling is in the work shop, we have a garage.

Oh damn; let me add a picture of what we did in there. I was just going to build the tables. My wife found a deal on the Lowes cabinets. They had a closeout counter top locally too. The center table is 4'x16' and there is under table storage for all my wheeled saws and stuff so its out of the way. We threw some cheap gray paint on the and boom, done. I added some cheap black drawer pulls from Amazon last Sunday morning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ee0bdf6b64ff3dfa516e4197d22af2b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.674435260026137d0359ffbc90ba0efe.jpeg

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 2
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Wife has surgery tomorrow.

I hope everything goes well for her and she heals quickly and well.  :hug:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Fansince88
11 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Thank you all very much! 

How are things with the bride?

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

How are things with the bride?

Surgery took about an hour and went well. She had an issue with her blood pressure being high so we had to stay a little longer than we thought for recovery. She has to see her primary care for that. 

Home and doing well, thanks to everyone again. 

Update on her Crohns stuff; so her inflammation numbers were up over 1000 again and they don’t want to stop the Skyrizi because apparently it doesn’t work if the inflammation is still there. They put her on another steroid last week to try and knock out the inflammation. The lowest they’ve been able to get her inflammation numbers this whole time I believe is 600. I don’t even know what those numbers mean but that’s high I guess as they are shooting for less than 120. 

Took this sweet boy to the vet this afternoon for a biopsy on a growth he’s got and his annual. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4d8637a70eb881718d0626f321704ca1.jpeg

Overall, you know it could always be worse and for some out there it is. We are upright and breathing. That’s pretty good.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Surgery took about an hour and went well. She had an issue with her blood pressure being high so we had to stay a little longer than we thought for recovery. She has to see her primary care for that. 

Home and doing well, thanks to everyone again. 

Update on her Crohns stuff; so her inflammation numbers were up over 1000 again and they don’t want to stop the Skyrizi because apparently it doesn’t work if the inflammation is still there. They put her on another steroid last week to try and knock out the inflammation. The lowest they’ve been able to get her inflammation numbers this whole time I believe is 600. I don’t even know what those numbers mean but that’s high I guess as they are shooting for less than 120. 

Took this sweet boy to the vet this afternoon for a biopsy on a growth he’s got and his annual. 

Overall, you know it could always be worse and for some out there it is. We are upright and breathing. That’s pretty good.

I am glad to hear things went well today. I wish her a speedy recovery. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants
Posted (edited)

Apologize for my recent trend of being overwhelmed with some stuff. 

Update on the fight to stop the subdivision: Two recent zoning meetings with the county planning board and the commissioners has resulted in rezoning of much of the previously considered primary and secondary growth areas to the rural preservation program. Last night was the planning boards amendment for my area. It passed and goes to the commissioners for a vote on Aug 5. I spoke at both and have seemingly made enemies with some; like the local president for the association of realtors. Oh well. 

He spoke last night about "rights of landowners". I countered that by letting the audience know that when the president of an organization made up of people who profit off of land development tells you that their first priority is protecting the rights of land owners, you can translate that into an effort to protect their gravy train. 

My wife came up with an awesome idea for our back patio area. I'll share photos. Working on getting that done for her. She is very excited. Charlies biopsy is not cancerous. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Heh. We are avoiding our neighbor right now. He's growing a lot of zucchini and likes to share.

(This is not him, i just found it funny)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ann said:

Heh. We are avoiding our neighbor right now. He's growing a lot of zucchini and likes to share.

(This is not him, i just found it funny)

Those are honkers, way too big. They are much better when they're smaller.

Crap Throwing Clavin
49 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Zucchini's much better when smaller, diced, seasoned with just a little salt and vinegar, then thrown out.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Zucchini's much better when smaller, diced, seasoned with just a little salt and vinegar, then thrown out.

No, no no no no. I love summer squash. Though I am currently to busy to do much cooking, there are plenty of ways to make it.

Slice it lengthwise into 1/4" strips, throw them on the grill and baste with Italian dressing. Slice it into ribbons, along with yellow Squash and some pasta. Alfredo sauce goes well with it. Hell... throw in some grape tomatoes while your at it, delish. Slice some patties, bread'em, pan fry. Cover with a marinara and mozzarella if you like. 

I could name many more ways...

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

No, no no no no. I love summer squash. Though I am currently to busy to do much cooking, there are plenty of ways to make it.

Slice it lengthwise into 1/4" straps, throw them on the grill and baste with Italian dressing. Slice it into ribbons, along with yellow Squash and some pasta. Alfredo sauce goes well with it. Hell... throw in some grape tomatoes while your at it, delight. Slice some patties, breaded, pan fry. Cover with a marinara and mozzarella if you like. 

I just hate zucchini.  I'm allowed.

Like cucumbers, though.  De gustibus non est disputandum.  (Except when it comes to ranch vs. bleu cheese.)

• Cheers 2

My garden produces for 3 months of the year. I honestly just love being out in it, don't have to do anything, just being there is heaven.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
8 hours ago, Foxx said:

Anything’s a dildo if you’re brave enough.

• O Rly 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 4

Fansince88
On 7/17/2024 at 9:22 PM, Foxx said:

Slice it lengthwise into 1/4" strips, throw them on the grill and baste with Italian dressing. Slice it into ribbons, along with yellow Squash and some pasta. Alfredo sauce goes well with it. Hell... throw in some grape tomatoes while your at it, delish. Slice some patties, bread'em, pan fry. Cover with a marinara and mozzarella if you like. 

Squash pie? Do it right and it taste much like pumpkin. My bride and her two siblings loved when their mom made squash. None of them liked it but knew it was going to become pie when it was left over. 

• Like 2