Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

New NFL TV Contracts Are In: $10 Billion Per Year

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 hours ago, Ann said:

'Cause that's what I really want during the NFL season.  More buffering.

Fansince88
19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

'Cause that's what I really want during the NFL season.  More buffering.

Well, honestly,  those are two games I could find myself boycotting. 

How much does it cost to be an NFL fan in the streaming era? We did the math.

Six months of YouTube TV, five months of Prime Video and one month each of Peacock, ESPN+ and Netflix comes out to a grand total of $506.86, before taxes.

And for fans who root for an out-of-market team or simply want access to the league’s entire slate of regular-season games, that will mean an additional $349 (so long as you’re a YouTube TV subscriber) for the Sunday Ticket package, bringing an NFL fan’s season total cost to at least $855.86 per season.

</snip>

• Angry 2
  • Wow 1

devnull
On 5/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, Taro T said:

Bummer.  Saw the post's headline & thought they were going to show games from ~60 years ago during the doldrums.  Guess not.

That would've been sweet.

anBn

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
On 5/12/2024 at 9:39 AM, Ann said:

Six months of YouTube TV, five months of Prime Video and one month each of Peacock, ESPN+ and Netflix comes out to a grand total of $506.86, before taxes.

And for fans who root for an out-of-market team or simply want access to the league’s entire slate of regular-season games, that will mean an additional $349 (so long as you’re a YouTube TV subscriber) for the Sunday Ticket package, bringing an NFL fan’s season total cost to at least $855.86 per season.

</snip>

In that case get a VPN and TSN and it will cost you much less overall.

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

In that case get a VPN and TSN and it will cost you much less overall.

Or watch Red Zone, and get NFL+ and watch the full games a couple hours late for $100/year.

• Like 1

Fansince88
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Or watch Red Zone, and get NFL+ and watch the full games a couple hours late for $100/year.

When you watch them later is it on demand or are you still tied to a schedule?

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

When you watch them later is it on demand or are you still tied to a schedule?

On demand.  Lately, the games are available within minutes of them ending.

• Like 1

Ninety-4
On 5/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, Ann said:

</snip>

For the games not on national TV, $500 buys a good number of beef on wecks and beer at the nearby Anchor Bar in Illinois.  

• Like 2

Nouseforaname
22 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I can’t watch the bills lose to the chiefs in the playoffs after the game is completed .

• 3 weeks later...
Spartacus

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sunday-ticket-trial-with-up-to-21-billion-at-issue-gets-started

The Wall Street Journal recently took a closer look at what this case could mean. With up to $7 billion in damages, and given that the antitrust law requires damages to be tripled, the league could be looking at a $21 billion judgment, or $656.25 million per team.

The plaintiffs contend that the NFL, DirecTV, CBS, and Fox worked together to make Sunday Ticket more expensive than it had to be. The NFL, represented by Beth Wilkinson (whose investigation of the Commanders greased the skids for Dan Snyder’s exit) claims it’s all about consumers having full access to content.

“The case is about choice,” Wilkinson told the jury. “This is a valuable, premium product. Think about all the choices available to fans. We want as many people as possible to watch the free broadcasts.”

That’s the issue, in a nutshell. The NFL wants Sunday Ticket to carry a price point that strikes the balance between generating significant revenue for its “premium product” while not diluting the audiences who would otherwise watch the Sunday afternoon games on their local network affiliates.

YouTubeTV was just meh last year.

If the Bills were on "local TV" we had to watch it locally and couldn't get it on YouTube. The problem? The "local" FOX station doesn't come in in our area (it is out of Mobile, CBS comes in fine, not FOX), even though it is "local TV."  That means we had to "search" for the Bills game elsewhere, or go to a local bar, all while paying the high YouTube TV price. 

Just let me get all the games (available locally or not) on YouTube, or let me pick my team to get all the games ( available locally or not) on an app.

Apparently, MLB and the NBA let you pick your team. Why is the NFL not doing it, too?

11.jpg.1aa74762bd6a7bee2f8f833fe858fb74.jpg

• Like 1

devnull
On 6/16/2024 at 11:39 AM, Ann said:

YouTubeTV was just meh last year.

If the Bills were on "local TV" we had to watch it locally and couldn't get it on YouTube. The problem? The "local" FOX station doesn't come in in our area (it is out of Mobile, CBS comes in fine, not FOX), even though it is "local TV."  That means we had to "search" for the Bills game elsewhere, or go to a local bar, all while paying the high YouTube TV price. 

Just let me get all the games (available locally or not) on YouTube, or let me pick my team to get all the games ( available locally or not) on an app.

Apparently, MLB and the NBA let you pick your team. Why is the NFL not doing it, too?

11.jpg.1aa74762bd6a7bee2f8f833fe858fb74.jpg

NFL doesn't offer team specific packages because they are a cartel.  Opening up this option would cut into the profitability of several franchises, including the Bills

We all hate the Cowboys, but they do kinda subsidize the Bills