Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Food

RochesterRob

RochesterRob
9 minutes ago, Ann said:

She should  decline and say she'll bring a dessert as she does not have a tried and true recipe for that dish.

She wants to try and if we get behind my aunt has a pretty good recipe.  Just thinking that somebody here has a sure fire recipe.  All that aside her sister wanted to take care of desserts.  

• Cheers 2

On 7/19/2024 at 5:50 PM, RochesterRob said:

The wife has been asked to bring scallop potatoes to a family function in September.  Baking and not casseroles is her thing.  Not a hard dish but can be a little tricky in terms of a sauce that is not soupy and does not turn to paste.  A couple of her relatives don't eat cheese so that is out as an ingredient.  Just looking for ideas from our illustrious cooks here.  Online recipes look OK until you read comments about being too soupy or paste like.  I'd hate to think that we cannot pull it off with a little planning ahead of time.  2 cups milk to 1/2 cup floor seems to be the most common ratio.  I know high quality onions can make a difference.  

Never heard of someone not eating cheese unless they are lactose intolerant and if they are, they probably shouldn't be eating the scallops anyway.

That said, I use kefir milk that i ferment myself from kefir grains I have. Perhaps another story for another time but while I know the cooking kills the beneficial probiotics it it, the taste adds great flavor. Point is, it is thicker than milk naturally so I don't get that runny thing you're talking about, but honestly, part of that is how long you cook it too as it thickens as the liquid in it evaporates if you leave it uncovered.

So, after all that you could try heavy cream or even sour cream instead of milk and again I think either one will add flavor to the scallops. If you research and decide you want to try kefir PM me your address and I'd be happy to send you some grains to make your own. Cool part of them is the grains feed on the lactose in the milk so done right, anyone lactose intolerant like my nephew can still eat anything with this in it.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Uncle Joe
On 7/19/2024 at 2:50 PM, RochesterRob said:

The wife has been asked to bring scallop potatoes to a family function in September.  Baking and not casseroles is her thing.  Not a hard dish but can be a little tricky in terms of a sauce that is not soupy and does not turn to paste.  A couple of her relatives don't eat cheese so that is out as an ingredient.  Just looking for ideas from our illustrious cooks here.  Online recipes look OK until you read comments about being too soupy or paste like.  I'd hate to think that we cannot pull it off with a little planning ahead of time.  2 cups milk to 1/2 cup floor seems to be the most common ratio.  I know high quality onions can make a difference.  

Hopefully you found a recipe. For some old time comfort food I would revert to my old cookbooks, namely Fannie Farmer and the The Fireside to mention a couple (although finding a cheese substitute will be tricky) .

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

RochesterRob

There are all kinds of recipes that do not use cheese.  Using some heavy cream in place of milk sounds like a good idea.  Also, lengthening the cooking time is another approach which would use less flour/ corn starch.  As said before it is actually simple other than getting the sauce to an ideal thickness.  The wife said she would make something in the next week as a test run to make any adjustments in the recipe she uses.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

bdutton

I got an electric smoker last year and really only used it a couple of times with mixed results.  This weekend I am hosting a Junior Rifle Team BBQ party and decided to try my first pork butt.  Here it is right around the stall...

NKKUelc.jpeg

I just pulled it out and wrapped in foil and its back in waiting until it gets to ~200-205f.

Edited by bdutton
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

bdutton
5 hours ago, bdutton said:

I got an electric smoker last year and really only used it a couple of times with mixed results.  This weekend I am hosting a Junior Rifle Team BBQ party and decided to try my first pork butt.  Here it is right around the stall...

NKKUelc.jpeg

I just pulled it out and wrapped in foil and its back in waiting until it gets to ~200-205f.

I got tired of waiting for it to hit 200 and pulled it out at 194.  I let it rest and then had a bit.  OMFG.. so good.

Xo9omgk.jpeg

I'll refrigerate overnight then pop it into the oven in the morning at about 250-275 to warm it up then shred and serve on sweet Hawaiian slider rolls with choice of sauce.

• Like 5
  • Cheers 2

Uncle Joe
2 hours ago, bdutton said:

I'll refrigerate overnight then pop it into the oven in the morning at about 250-275 to warm it up then shred and serve on sweet Hawaiian slider rolls with choice of sauce.

and cole slaw?

• Like 5

bdutton
22 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

and cole slaw?

I had to call a friend coming to the party to pick some up... thanks!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
KD in CA
2 hours ago, Ann said:

heh

It ain’t five dollar guys!

I’ve only been to a Five Guys a few times. It’s good, but not any better than Shake Shack, In N Out, etc.  And certainly wasn’t worth the high price — and that was pre-Biden inflation.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
MothersMilk
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Follow me for more recipes.

:classic_cool:

img_8047-1.jpg?w=526&ssl=1

This makes sense, it's sort of like making open face turkey sandwiches with dressing, homemade or stovetop mix, instead of bread. Those I have done and they turn out excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

Anyone do any canning?

When we were in Cape Cod, I got some delicious maple apple drizzle.  Now all gone.  Found recipes online I'm going to try...but they would require sealing in to Ball jars, which I've never done.  Any advice or "gotchas" to watch out for?

19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Anyone do any canning?

When we were in Cape Cod, I got some delicious maple apple drizzle.  Now all gone.  Found recipes online I'm going to try...but they would require sealing in to Ball jars, which I've never done.  Any advice or "gotchas" to watch out for?

What type of canner do you have, pressure or water boil?

I prefer pressure but you need to be careful with your lid an seal.

Also I have a single propane burner that I use outside. 

IIRC Back when my kids were young we used to make applesauce in water boil canner and it was fairly simple. 

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

What type of canner do you have, pressure or water boil?

I prefer pressure but you need to be careful with your lid an seal.

Also I have a single propane burner that I use outside. 

IIRC Back when my kids were young we used to make applesauce in water boil canner and it was fairly simple. 

My mom did applesauce with the water boil canner.  Unfortunately, I have no advice to pass along to CTC or anybody else.  I was going to see if my sister was going to can tomatoes this year but she decided she lacked the time.  Maybe next year.  

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:46 PM, Ann said:

heh

On 8/16/2024 at 10:12 PM, KD in CA said:

It ain’t five dollar guys!

I’ve only been to a Five Guys a few times. It’s good, but not any better than Shake Shack, In N Out, etc.  And certainly wasn’t worth the high price — and that was pre-Biden inflation.

Back in the 2000/2010s, Hardees had a signature sandwich called "The $5 Burger" that was advertised as restaurant fancy quality at a fast food price

Now a burger that costs $5 is a step above fast food value menu