Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Food

RochesterRob

18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Anyone do any canning?

When we were in Cape Cod, I got some delicious maple apple drizzle.  Now all gone.  Found recipes online I'm going to try...but they would require sealing in to Ball jars, which I've never done.  Any advice or "gotchas" to watch out for?

Some of the biggest mistakes I see people make and how to avoid

Clean and sterilize the jars. I don't care if they are brand new because they are most likely nasty. 

Tighten lid too tight... Just snug it up. As it is heated the expansion will actually leak out the lid. As the jar cools again it them creates that vacuum you want for the seal

Leave salt (or vinegar) out of a recipe... If it calls for it use it. Tried and true it's going to be necessary for proper PH balance that will again, affect your seal

If your directions tell you to use SS, glass, or plastic, do it because again, tried and true it probably has to do with the PH

Don't fill it too full. Most directions tell you a half inch from the top, I prefer a little more, perhaps 3/4 to an inch.

Bits and pieces need to be covered by the liquid their in. Whether beans or beef, doesn't have to be too much. but at least a MM below the liquid. Chance are real good during the bath they will float again but that's fine, just have to start covered

Put the lids you will use in water and heat them on the stove to a low boil themselves. This softens the ring and helps wit the seal.

Work all air bubbles you can out if the jars, make sure the top or the jar is clean before putting the lid on

You will need a pot and lid big enough that your jars are covered by water in the bath. This will also be decided by the size of the jars will will be using.

You want a simmering boil, not rolling that has you jars bouncing around in the pot. 

Sounds like your doing fruit so a water bath is fine and maybe preferred. Of hundreds of fruits over the years including apple sauce and apple butter, only ever had one or 2 jars not seal doing that method and won't cost a lot to start like a pressure canner would

Doesn't sound like you will be doing a lot so just invest in a low cost canning utensil set like this and i think most of the items are self explanatory though the lid tightener in this one is useless. 

image.png.b9cbf90d1e2934c77b6e0791ad44bde1.png

Hope that helps!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • FANtastic 1

17 hours ago, Cinga said:

Some of the biggest mistakes I see people make and how to avoid

Clean and sterilize the jars. I don't care if they are brand new because they are most likely nasty. 

Tighten lid too tight... Just snug it up. As it is heated the expansion will actually leak out the lid. As the jar cools again it them creates that vacuum you want for the seal

Leave salt (or vinegar) out of a recipe... If it calls for it use it. Tried and true it's going to be necessary for proper PH balance that will again, affect your seal

If your directions tell you to use SS, glass, or plastic, do it because again, tried and true it probably has to do with the PH

Don't fill it too full. Most directions tell you a half inch from the top, I prefer a little more, perhaps 3/4 to an inch.

Bits and pieces need to be covered by the liquid their in. Whether beans or beef, doesn't have to be too much. but at least a MM below the liquid. Chance are real good during the bath they will float again but that's fine, just have to start covered

Put the lids you will use in water and heat them on the stove to a low boil themselves. This softens the ring and helps wit the seal.

Work all air bubbles you can out if the jars, make sure the top or the jar is clean before putting the lid on

You will need a pot and lid big enough that your jars are covered by water in the bath. This will also be decided by the size of the jars will will be using.

You want a simmering boil, not rolling that has you jars bouncing around in the pot. 

Sounds like your doing fruit so a water bath is fine and maybe preferred. Of hundreds of fruits over the years including apple sauce and apple butter, only ever had one or 2 jars not seal doing that method and won't cost a lot to start like a pressure canner would

Doesn't sound like you will be doing a lot so just invest in a low cost canning utensil set like this and i think most of the items are self explanatory though the lid tightener in this one is useless. 

image.png.b9cbf90d1e2934c77b6e0791ad44bde1.png

Hope that helps!

Now that you mention it mom was always a stickler for not overtightening twist on lids.  Also, that non liquids were always below the level of the liquid in the jar.  Mom always washed jars ahead of the actual filling.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 10/12/2024 at 9:11 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Anyone do any canning?

When we were in Cape Cod, I got some delicious maple apple drizzle.  Now all gone.  Found recipes online I'm going to try...but they would require sealing in to Ball jars, which I've never done.  Any advice or "gotchas" to watch out for?

Go to your local ag extension around the corner from you. They can help with some of the basics. Also they're supposed certify your pressure cooker and make sure the petcock works.

A lot of good advice already given but need to reiterate to clean the shit out of everything. Boil your jars before you start, even. 

• Like 2