Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

News and Opinions

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's not just catering to a fringe.  The quality of the reporting is excrement.

Go read NYT articles from the '70s and compare them to today.  Agree or disagree with them in the '70s, they were better written, more balanced, and less inflammatory.  

• Like 6
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Go read NYT articles from the '70s and compare them to today.  Agree or disagree with them in the '70s, they were better written, more balanced, and less inflammatory.  

Yup. Because of two things in my mind: 

1) the quality of education (especially when it comes to prose writing) has dropped off a cliff. 

2) they had to at least try to pretend to be unbiased to be taken seriously as a journalist back then. Today, you're only hired as a writer if you're not just biased, but an outspoken advocate of "the message". 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

1) the quality of education (especially when it comes to prose writing) has dropped off a cliff. 

2) they had to at least try to pretend to be unbiased to be taken seriously as a journalist back then. Today, you're only hired as a writer if you're not just biased, but an outspoken advocate of "the message". 

(1) particularly stands out.  The new batch of reporters just can't write.

• Like 2

IDBillzFan
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

(1) particularly stands out.  The new batch of reporters just can't write.

Your ability to write is inconsequential if you also water down the AP Stylebook. Granted, it was in the mid 80s when I was being paid to be a journalist, but the AP Stylebook was the journalist's bible. On every desk. Over time, standards were relaxed dramatically, and consequently, so were the products of journalism.

And that's for news journalists, where there is at least a pretense of best practices. Unlike sports journalism, where even alcoholic misogynist social justice warriors with a laptop can get a job.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Your ability to write is inconsequential if you also water down the AP Stylebook. Granted, it was in the mid 80s when I was being paid to be a journalist, but the AP Stylebook was the journalist's bible. On every desk. Over time, standards were relaxed dramatically, and consequently, so were the products of journalism.

And that's for news journalists, where there is at least a pretense of best practices. Unlike sports journalism, where even alcoholic misogynist cul-de-sac hating social justice warriors with a laptop can get a job.

Fixed.

By far, that was the weirdest hill I've ever seen anyone take a stand on.

• Haha 3

IDBillzFan
Just now, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Fixed.

By far, that was the weirdest hill I've ever seen anyone take a stand on.

Damn, I had forgotten that stupidity. I can't believe you remember it. Such an unhinged nutbag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Can I please just take your word for it? PLEASE??

Spartacus
14 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"journalists" don't have to write anything anymore

that's what AI is for 

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin

Boeing FINALLY launched the manned mission with their Starliner capsule.  The US government is SO damned slow with spacecraft development that SpaceX is just drinking their milkshake.

I'm watching the launch live right now, and I swear NASA stole the graphics straight from Kerbal Space Program.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

Brought a parent to their interview!? :jaw:

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
  • Doh! 2
  • Wow 1

Taro T
4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And remember Birx was the one that DIDN'T seem extreme (relatively).

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Medical community's been paranoid about bird flu for almost 30 years now.  It's an unusual combination of hemagglutinin and neuraminidase, and right now the damn thing has very low infectivity, but high mortality (about 50%, which is honestly catastrophic).  

But the infectivity rate is so low, the mortality rate is almost certainly artificially high.  And it's still a bird flu right now, it doesn't readily infect mammals.  In particular, I can't find a single instance of a cow getting sick from it - infected, yes.  Clinically ill, no.

The real fear is that it'll mutate, as flu viruses tend to do, and become more infective to humans.  But that's almost certainly not going to happen in cows (mutation usually happens between recombination through transmission between waterfowl and pigs, which is why most flus emerge in southeast Asia). 

The epidemiological community is warranted in their fear of H5N1...but panicking the general population is irresponsible.  

• Cheers 2