Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

News and Opinions

Ann

Fansince88
31 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Well, this is some horseshit...

Yes, because all of the US was shooting off at the same time.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
40 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Whoops 

This is...actually not all that surprising.  This is the second of this class of ship to capsize in port (and they managed to run a third aground in port.)  The Iranian Navy has a pretty pathetic track record.

Even the Iranian state media is saying it was an accident - ship was ballasted wrong, rolled over (supposedly a recent refit made it top-heavy.)  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

This is...actually not all that surprising.  This is the second of this class of ship to capsize in port (and they managed to run a third aground in port.)  The Iranian Navy has a pretty pathetic track record.

Even the Iranian state media is saying it was an accident - ship was ballasted wrong, rolled over (supposedly a recent refit made it top-heavy.)  

Do Navy ships use the Plimsoll line?

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 hours ago, snafu said:

I've never seen one painted on a USN ship...but it's not like I've inspected many directly; most of my knowledge would come from pictures.

My best guess?  They don't, because that's sensitive information related to damage control, so why give it away to everyone who can see?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

devnull
14 hours ago, snafu said:

They did until Hunter Biden tried to snort one

• Facepalm 2
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 1

There are a lot of interesting aspects to the French snap election and their results.

Mainly, it appears that this is the first time that one party didn't control a majority of the French legislature (or this hasn't happened in a very long time).  The reason why that's interesting is I heard it today that the French don't have a history of forming coalitions.  So this would be the same thing as if we had a new third party in Congress, and the votes were roughly split into thirds.

And then you get the "be careful what you wish for" result.  Feels like what happened in 2020 when Biden had to lick the Sanders-led Progressive's nuts in order to secure their support to fend off a "far right Fascist".  Only, in France, it appears that this Melanchon fellow makes Bernie Sanders look like Barry Goldwater.  And everyone said that Macron didn't have to call the election.  In any event, he did.  And there are definite shades of the recent past and current US Presidential elections in the French story.

France’s hard-Left could soon bring down the eurozone (msn.com)

"The populist threat has been crushed. The “far-Right” has been blocked from forming a government, and a financial crisis has been averted. With the surprising results from the French elections last night showing Marine Le Pen’s National Rally dropping to third place in the new Parliament, it would be easy to assume that the country was getting back to normal. But hold on. The election massively strengthened the far-Left – and it is the Marxist extremists that pose the real threat to the survival of the single currency."

"In reality, the Popular Front’s manifesto makes Jeremy Corbyn look like a moderate. It promised 150 billion euros in extra public spending, increasing public sector salaries by 10 per cent immediately, making transport free, and lowering the retirement age back to 62, with longer term plans to hire more teachers and healthcare workers and invest more in green energy. It would pay for all of that with higher corporate taxes, with a wealth tax, and by borrowing more money."

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Nouseforaname
6 hours ago, snafu said:

There are a lot of interesting aspects to the French snap election and their results.

Mainly, it appears that this is the first time that one party didn't control a majority of the French legislature (or this hasn't happened in a very long time).  The reason why that's interesting is I heard it today that the French don't have a history of forming coalitions.  So this would be the same thing as if we had a new third party in Congress, and the votes were roughly split into thirds.

And then you get the "be careful what you wish for" result.  Feels like what happened in 2020 when Biden had to lick the Sanders-led Progressive's nuts in order to secure their support to fend off a "far right Fascist".  Only, in France, it appears that this Melanchon fellow makes Bernie Sanders look like Barry Goldwater.  And everyone said that Macron didn't have to call the election.  In any event, he did.  And there are definite shades of the recent past and current US Presidential elections in the French story.

France’s hard-Left could soon bring down the eurozone (msn.com)

"The populist threat has been crushed. The “far-Right” has been blocked from forming a government, and a financial crisis has been averted. With the surprising results from the French elections last night showing Marine Le Pen’s National Rally dropping to third place in the new Parliament, it would be easy to assume that the country was getting back to normal. But hold on. The election massively strengthened the far-Left – and it is the Marxist extremists that pose the real threat to the survival of the single currency."

"In reality, the Popular Front’s manifesto makes Jeremy Corbyn look like a moderate. It promised 150 billion euros in extra public spending, increasing public sector salaries by 10 per cent immediately, making transport free, and lowering the retirement age back to 62, with longer term plans to hire more teachers and healthcare workers and invest more in green energy. It would pay for all of that with higher corporate taxes, with a wealth tax, and by borrowing more money."

In other words, business as usual in France 

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino

If a republican had said "am I speaking English" to a POC, we'd never hear the end of it for two weeks on the news cycle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Popcorn 2

RochesterRob

Normally, I would just let it go on the OT but a tornado warning has been issued by the NWS for some portions of counties in WNY.  Sounds like a possible once in a 50 year event potentially.  Keep an eye to the sky and have an appropriate place to take shelter.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Normally, I would just let it go on the OT but a tornado warning has been issued by the NWS for some portions of counties in WNY.  Sounds like a possible once in a 50 year event potentially.  Keep an eye to the sky and have an appropriate place to take shelter.

Sounds like the warning is for Geneva - Seneca Castle - Lyons.  But surrounding areas have a watch.  We had wild rain for about 3 minutes and now it is fully sunny and the air is completely still.  Kind of wild.  (And we are not in the warning zone.)

Thanks for the PSA.  🍺

• Like 3

Deranged Rhino

Everyone who voted for him at ATOP swore he was going to "restore normalcy" to our alliances and global stability. In fact, he's done the exact opposite. Which was entirely predictable since the man has a history of being wrong on every single foreign policy decision he's ever weighed in on - and that was before he turned into a walking corpse. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

IDBillzFan
5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Everyone who voted for him at ATOP swore he was going to "restore normalcy" to our alliances and global stability. In fact, he's done the exact opposite. Which was entirely predictable since the man has a history of being wrong on every single foreign policy decision he's ever weighed in on - and that was before he turned into a walking corpse. 

I almost feel like his press conference tonight is designed to be the final nail in his re-election campaign. But then I remember his Chief of Staff is also his wife, and she probably thinks he can pull it off.

To be honest, I'm afraid to actually watch it.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I almost feel like his press conference tonight is designed to be the final nail in his re-election campaign. But then I remember his Chief of Staff is also his wife, and she probably thinks he can pull it off.

To be honest, I'm afraid to actually watch it.

Seems like the D's in the House and the Senate all said: "oh yeah, prove it".  

And his campaign said:  "okay, we will have a press conference".

I don't think anyone believes he will come out looking good -- but there's still a likelihood that he comes out "good enough" so that he continues to run.  He's digging the D's a really deep hole, whether he's the candidate or not.  It couldn't happen to a bigger, dumber, more arrogant a$$hole.

• Like 5

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, snafu said:

Seems like the D's in the House and the Senate all said: "oh yeah, prove it".  

And his campaign said:  "okay, we will have a press conference".

I don't think anyone believes he will come out looking good -- but there's still a likelihood that he comes out "good enough" so that he continues to run.  He's digging the D's a really deep hole, whether he's the candidate or not.  It couldn't happen to a bigger, dumber, more arrogant a$$hole.

I'm racking my brain for any precedent for this in the world history of electoral politics...and I just can't think of one.  This is a phenomenal cluster&#%$.

• Like 1