Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

News and Opinions

Ann

Deranged Rhino
1 minute ago, Nouseforaname said:

828d56e4-d3dc-49af-89cd-3c406a8a1e10.jpeg

This would be my actual life if I worked in tech, I'm pretty sure. I'd be the one to mess something like that up on my first day, have no idea, and then brag about it. Pretty sure I'd even make that stupid face :classic_laugh: 

• Haha 4

Fansince88
4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This would be my actual life if I worked in tech, I'm pretty sure. I'd be the one to mess something like that up on my first day, have no idea, and then brag about it. Pretty sure I'd even make that stupid face :classic_laugh: 

EVERY TIME they do an overnight update at work on the system that controls the whole warehouse we have issues. EVERY TIME

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 2

Nouseforaname
7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I work in tech and literally every time there is a bug, the first question you ask is, « was there a deployment? ».

99% of the time that’s your answer.  Unless you’re @Spartacus and it’s some convoluted bullshit he pulls out of his ass.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I was flying today and a there were quite a few flight cancellations out of SFO (always are, but lots more than normal). We were lucky to not be affected. Arrived at a major hotel chain in the Orlando area and they said their computers were down from 1am-1pm.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Spartacus
37 minutes ago, Hedge said:

I was flying today and a there were quite a few flight cancellations out of SFO (always are, but lots more than normal). We were lucky to not be affected. Arrived at a major hotel chain in the Orlando area and they said their computers were down from 1am-1pm.

in their rush to get their systems back up after the botched update,

none of the impacted companies bothered to scrutinize the root directories  of their servers for hidden malware left behind from the update fiasco 

more fun to follow in the future

(maybe around election day)

Edited by Spartacus
  • clown 2
  • Haha 1

devnull
11 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

Crowdstrike deployed an update and it brought down Microsoft.

Reminds me of a company I worked for that used to deploy changes on Saturday and Monday morning nothing worked.

I worked somewhere with a "No change Friday" policy

If you make a change, you will be available the next two days if something goes wrong

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Spartacus
7 hours ago, devnull said:

If you make a change, you will be available the next two days if something goes wrong

that's pretty standard practice.

changes are usually rolled out early in the week to work out the bugs, unless all parties are to be engaged over the weekend.

Crowdstrike timing is suspect

Fansince88
36 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

that's pretty standard practice.

changes are usually rolled out early in the week to work out the bugs, unless all parties are to be engaged over the weekend.

Crowdstrike timing is suspect

Our company now has a change on "Friday over night policy". That way they can work out the bugs when it affects less people. Because it will affect people. 

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 hours ago, devnull said:

I just make sure my people test their shit and have a roll-back plan.

We've had one problematic roll-out in the past eleven months.  And the person responsible for that was fired.

• Like 1

Uncle Joe
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

We've had one problematic roll-out in the past eleven months.  And the person responsible for that was fired.

Why so Trumpian?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

devnull
4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I just make sure my people test their shit and have a roll-back plan.

Im assuming that person was a contractor.

If it had been a Federal worker, they would have been promoted to another position 

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, devnull said:

Im assuming that person was a contractor.

If it had been a Federal worker, they would have been promoted to another position 

Yes.  Worked for me.

Oddly enough, my last three contracts have had at least one fed either "promoted" to a lesser position or forcibly retired for incompetence.

Deranged Rhino

I know this can go in a number of threads but... 

If we're being technical about it, it's the second coup in as many Presidential terms. Run by pretty much the same group of people - almost none of whom hold an elected office. It's just that this time, the coup worked. 

A lot of people on the left feel scorned and slighted by this (as I'm finding out today via my phone exploding) - and a lot more who are happy about it (because: Orange Man Bad) are having their eyes opened to how the system really works. The system they have been blindly supporting for the past 8 years thinking they're "saving democracy" for their children. 

For everyone, regardless of your politics or personal opinions on Joe/Trump/whoever, this should be a scary moment. It's being flaunted, right in our faces, that we no longer live in a republic, or a democracy, of any kind. Even though I've come to realize this years ago at this point, the brazenness of it still ticks me off.

What about you?

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I know this can go in a number of threads but... 

If we're being technical about it, it's the second coup in as many Presidential terms. Run by pretty much the same group of people - almost none of whom hold an elected office. It's just that this time, the coup worked. 

A lot of people on the left feel scorned and slighted by this (as I'm finding out today via my phone exploding) - and a lot more who are happy about it (because: Orange Man Bad) are having their eyes opened to how the system really works. The system they have been blindly supporting for the past 8 years thinking they're "saving democracy" for their children. 

For everyone, regardless of your politics or personal opinions on Joe/Trump/whoever, this should be a scary moment. It's being flaunted, right in our faces, that we no longer live in a republic, or a democracy, of any kind. Even though I've come to realize this years ago at this point, the brazenness of it still ticks me off.

What about you?

Me too.  

And if it wasn't for the war between the Obamas and Clintons, it goes much more cleanly and smoothly, and they probably get away with it.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1