Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

News and Opinions

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
26 minutes ago, Ann said:

What i don't understand is it is a VERY blue area that has been hardest hit. With a democratic governor, why aren't the feds on this? So far, I saw DeSantis sent the Florida National Guard. What has been done on a federal level?

Feds have to be invited in by the state.  

For long-term relief...that's the program I work on.  Not started yet, because the "event" hadn't been declared as of Friday.  Probably will be first thing Monday.

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, devnull said:

Kinda like vampires

First thing they're going to do when they get there is audit the Hurricane Helene operating system.  

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

For long-term relief...that's the program I work on.  Not started yet, because the "event" hadn't been declared as of Friday.  Probably will be first thing Monday.

The governor didn’t request federal help!?

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Ann said:

The governor didn’t request federal help!?

He just did today.

Though honestly...Florida's services seem to have this well in hand.  The area will get money, but doesn't look like they need a whole lot else.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

What i don't understand is it is a VERY blue area that has been hardest hit. With a democratic governor, why aren't the feds on this? So far, I saw DeSantis sent the Florida National Guard. What has been done on a federal level?

Nat guard showed up last night. Saw a convoy of helicopters flying over Greensboro last night

Former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle is using himself and his helicopter to rescue people. A dozen helicopters are giving free rides today to people in the mountains to view the picturesque blue ridge views. They're using 3 airports, but primarily Taylorsville, NC iirc.

The NC cattlemens association is putting together a rescue relief system for livestock. One mans herd washed 30 miles down river without a loss.

My wife was alerted to be ready to go as a relief vet. Two zoos hit released their animals for safety reasons. 

My wife was talking about it and couldn't believe why it was so much worse than Katrina. The damage of raging water down the mountains vs simple flooding is significant. That this is a less populated area makes a difference but if anyone has ever traveled rural Appalachia than you know many houses are along the valleys which coincidentally are adjacent to waterways. Entire neighborhoods gone. Entire communities gone. A lot of Appalachia has the creeks and rivers through the center of town. It's impossible to get from one side to another - and a few towns were ripped apart down the middle. 

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The long term effects on this for long term relief will be interesting. How can you justify rebuilding a town of 200 people? How can you justify rebuilding a mom and pop diner, a local fix it store, and a small store that repairs quantum laser photon plasma rays?

I don't think all of this will ever be rebuilt. Some places like Swananoa outside of Ashville maybe, but Rumbling Bald or Nebo will not be rebuilt. 

• Sad 4

I will have to look into who to make a donation to, but i do know the Red Cross is not it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Ann said:

I will have to look into who to make a donation to, but i do know the Red Cross is not it.

Samaritan's purse. They are here in Greensboro. They are simply the best. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 hours ago, Ann said:

That's the #1 goal of the DEI department.  Which, while ridiculous, doesn't define the goals for FEMA as a whole.

• Like 1