Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I never wanted to leave Sarasota for Atlanta. Now, after watching some videos from this storm season, I’m not sure how much I’d want to go back. They have never had a year like this (with 3 HUGE storm events) in at least 30 years. If our son and his family move back we will have some presence there, but not too close to the water. 

Rarely do I quote myself but…..we had a 2 year old’s BDay party today and I talked with my son’s in-laws. They have friends who have lived on Siesta Key forever and live on a “high” parcel of land. They said the last time they got wet was 35 years ago, but they were just flooded twice. 

It’s not just along the coasts, either. When we moved to Atlanta in 2010 they were recovering from a “500 year flood”. In some areas every house had a dumpster in the driveway. My wife’s favorite restaurant has a white line painted on the brick wall showing how high the water rose along with the date of the flood. Look out the window and see how far away the river is and it seems unimaginable. 

You wouldn’t expect that again for 500 years, right? Yeah, I know that’s not the way it works. They just flooded again in a big way. Not nearly as bad, but this is becoming more common and more extreme. 

• Sad 5

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Leslie was a week ago, and never got anywhere near land.  That tweet is complete bullshit.

There's a low pressure system off Cape Verde that has a 50-50 chance of becoming a tropical storm next weekend, but still won't be anywhere near land.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Report from Florida east coast, Indian River County, south of Melbourne.  We arrived Tuesday and had almost zero traffic coming through Florida southbound and eastbound.  Home is brand new this year built to 140/150MPH spec.  Wednesday afternoon and evening we had torrential rain, 10 inches or so measured at nearby airport and several tornadoes in the area, some about a mile away.  The tornado warnings were frequent and overlapping and several were after it got dark.  One of the few times in my life that I was very nervous about the weather.  Thursday, we got wind gusts over 80 MPH I'm told.  The house never even wiggled and had we not looked outside we wouldn't have had any idea the winds were that high.  Water-wise some surrounding properties in the subdivision had yards partially submerged.  We followed advice from builder and had the lot grade increased by about a foot above the neighbors and ours didn't show any accumulated water.  Impressed with the construction.  Other locations in town weren't so lucky.  Severe tornado damage over stretches of miles.  

Our power was mostly off for 2.5 days.  That sucked.  I got lucky and found a new shipment of generators at a Home Depot, and by the time I arrived home yesterday afternoon, the power was back on.  

We had friends from Fort Myers over here to get further from storm landfall.  Their place over there just got power restored today.   

West Coast of FL is quite storm weary over the past couple years.  They deserve a break.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Love 1

Here's a link I've bookmarked to watch storm development and forecasts.  It shows the low pressure area CTC mentioned.  Click X or roll mouse over the cone and you get more info.   Once something is named a storm, a lot more info is available.  At times this season there have been 3-4 storms/disturbances showing.  

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Leslie was a week ago, and never got anywhere near land.  That tweet is complete bullshit.

There's a low pressure system off Cape Verde that has a 50-50 chance of becoming a tropical storm next weekend, but still won't be anywhere near land.

1 hour ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Don't think Leslie is doing anything like that in fact think it fizzled out. But if a storm did some shit like that I think Florida would be done in. Two to three passes at Cat 5... :quake:

My bad. I thought it was a joke. Obviously, a hurricane would not cross Fla. three times.

And yes, Leslie comes before Milton, but sometimes 'canes that form after, do hit later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jabba The Hutt
6 hours ago, Foxx said:

My bad. I thought it was a joke. Obviously, a hurricane would not cross Fla. three times.

And yes, Leslie comes before Milton, but sometimes 'canes that form after, do hit later.

I lol'd but there have been zombie canes before where they circle back twice, with the records being set it probably isn't all that farfetched unfortunately. I just hope it doesn't happen anytime this century. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2