Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Immigration

Foxx

Billsandhorns
12 hours ago, Ann said:

What took them so long?

They actually have been working on it for about 6 months. There was some hang ups because the Feds would not let them use already purchased wall segments that were sitting on the ground since Pudding head took office. 

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The best part of this is going to be watching Democrats turn anti-union.

But they have been for years, only using them during election years. The unions are only now starting to realize it

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 5:49 PM, Uncle Joe said:

Seems to me like they're getting used to seeing the bigger bills come out.

Now if you have an EBT card you're golden. 🤬

More EBT (moved quote to immigration thread)...

Oregon lawmakers want to expand food stamps to all immigrants

A bill to expand food stamp eligibility to immigrant groups in Oregon goes further than similar existing measures in Washington and California, <SNIP>would use state funds to open access to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program to those who don’t meet federal citizenship requirements but are otherwise eligible, including undocumented immigrants. SNAP generally requires that beneficiaries be citizens or residents of the United States for five years.
Oprah You Get A GIFs | Tenor

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2023/02/oregon-lawmakers-want-to-expand-food-stamps-to-all-immigrants.html

• clown 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Wow 1
  • Boo 1

• 2 weeks later...

Biden's 'catch and release' border policy struck down by US judge

A federal judge in Florida on Wednesday agreed with the state's Republican attorney general that the policy of President Joe Biden's administration to release many people who illegally cross the U.S.-Mexican border rather than detaining them violates U.S. immigration law.

U.S. District Judge T. Kent Wetherell in Pensacola blocked the administration from continuing to implement a 2021 Department of Homeland Security (DHS) memo that had authorized "alternatives to detention" to ease overcrowding in detention facilities. These alternatives included ankle bracelets, phone monitoring or check-ins 

</snip>

• Applause 3

8 hours ago, Ann said:

Biden's 'catch and release' border policy struck down by US judge

A federal judge in Florida on Wednesday agreed with the state's Republican attorney general that the policy of President Joe Biden's administration to release many people who illegally cross the U.S.-Mexican border rather than detaining them violates U.S. immigration law.

U.S. District Judge T. Kent Wetherell in Pensacola blocked the administration from continuing to implement a 2021 Department of Homeland Security (DHS) memo that had authorized "alternatives to detention" to ease overcrowding in detention facilities. These alternatives included ankle bracelets, phone monitoring or check-ins 

</snip>

This is a start anyway, not that Biden is going to follow a judge order anyway. It is ruled against the claim Obama started of using prosecutorial discretion ands states what we have here. That policy is meant for case by case, not a blanket amnesty act

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 hours ago, Foxx said:

Reminds me of an interesting story I don't know if I ever shared.  

Back in the first half of the Trump administration, during the whole "separating kids from 'parents'" hand-wringing, there was a story out of Newark about a mother who had her son separated from her and didn't get custody back from CBP for six months.  Some screaming and hand-wringing in local papers, not a lot of national attention.

What I was doing at the time, I had that case come across my desk (not involved, just aware, as IT).  Interesting truth to it: the woman, a legal immigrant, did not have her son in the US with her.  Rather than file the paperwork to bring him in legally as a dependent, she paid someone to smuggle him in (note that the legal route would have taken a little longer, but been much cheaper, by maybe a factor of 15-20.)  CPB caught them at the border, separated them, investigated, found the man he was with wasn't his father, or any family.

Truth was, the woman had unknowingly hired someone who was part of a human trafficking ring to bring her son into the country.  They made over fifty arrests.  The woman didn't get her son for six months because CPB and FBI took that long to roll up that trafficking ring, and to clear the woman of human trafficking herself - it's not uncommon for immigrants to sell one child to traffickers to pay for bringing the rest of their children in.  And she was ultimately cleared - just stupid, and bloody damned lucky.  

(And then, of course, there's the egg farms in Wisconsin that were found to be engaged in honest-to-god slavery.)

Not even Biden's reinstatement of Title 42, or reinstating family detention, is going to address that.  The people complaining about even those ineffective measures being "inhumane" are completely ignorant about how thoroughly &#%$ed up immigration is in the US. 

I actually agree in principle with the Biden administration: disincentivize illegal immigration and increase availability of legal immigration.  Their means, though...well, I'm pretty certain they'll exacerbate human trafficking, not reduce it.  Their definition of "humane immigration policies" is so disassociated with the reality of immigration it ends up being inhumane.

• Cheers 4

Can't wait to see all the networks carry this horrific story.

Oh, wait. I forgot where I was for a moment. Our media doesn't care about shit like this if it makes their leader look bad.

• Angry 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Can't wait to see all the networks carry this horrific story.

Oh, wait. I forgot where I was for a moment. Our media doesn't care about shit like this if it makes their leader look bad.

I saw it reported as "Coyote in serious condition after crash."  :facepalm: 🤡

• 1 month later...