Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Immigration

Foxx

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 hours ago, Ann said:

Of course.  What do I keep saying?  Democrats keep supporting and promoting illegal immigration because "they do the jobs Americans don't want to do."  Illegal immigrants are an exploitable underclass with no protections for the Democrats to enslave.  Literal slavery.

The Democratic Party: promoting slavery for 200 years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Democrats keep supporting and promoting illegal immigration because "they do the jobs Americans don't want to do." 

Like voting for Democrats

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

You'd think Democrats would be more upset about this. Dead pregnant woman left by the water to rot.

But apparently not.

Why would Democrats be upset when they just blame Republicans for making it so difficult to walk hundreds of miles across a desert to break the law?

I may not vote Republican, but I will never, ever vote Democrat.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Just now, Foxx said:

Why doesn't Meloni send a blockade or ship them back. Is she another who talks a good game but is on board with the Globalist Agenda?

She did something (i need to look up what it was when i get back to my desk). Heck, the EU did something (again... desk). Clearly not enor working. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ann said:

She did something (i need to look up what it was when i get back to my desk). Heck, the EU did something (again... desk). Clearly not enor working. 

Nope, they didn't do anything:  See two posts below.

Giorgia Meloni: I won’t allow Italy to become Europe’s refugee camp
Prime minister says Italy ‘under incredible pressure’ from large number of arrivals from north Africa

</snip>

The majority of refugees arriving in Lampedusa are transferred to overcrowded reception centres in Sicily. On Monday, hundreds escaped from a centre in Porto Empedocle in a desperate search for food.

</snip>

During a visit to Lampedusa on Sunday, Meloni, who took power last October vowing to stop illegal immigration, said “the future of Europe is at stake” unless EU countries worked together to come up with “serious solutions”.

Meloni was the key protagonist of a controversial £105m deal signed in July between the EU and Tunisia, from where the vast majority of people are setting off, to stem irregular migration. However, no money has yet changed hands and the number of people crossing to Italy has risen by almost 70% since the deal was signed.

Last week, a group of MEPs were refused entry to Tunisia, raising fresh concerns about the Tunisian president Kais Saied’s commitment to address concerns over human rights abuses. He has previously declared that Tunisia would not be Europe’s border guard.

Earlier this week, it emerged that EU member states had expressed “incomprehension” over the circumstances surrounding the Tunisia pact. In a letter, the EU’s chief diplomat, Josep Borrell, said EU states had raised their concerns verbally and in writing in July but had not gone public because of the political sensitivity of the issue.

On Wednesday, the European commissioner for neighbourhood and enlargement, Olivér Várhelyi, said the deal was a good one. “You can’t expect to break down the smugglers’ network in two months,” he told La Stampa in Italy.

Várhelyi said that fruits of the pact were beginning to emerge despite 114,000 arrivals in the first eight months of the year. “In 2022 the Tunisian coastguard intercepted 9,376 migrants, this year we are already at 24,000. Last year, they also rescued 32,459 people at sea, and this year already 50,000. They more than doubled their efforts but unfortunately the traffickers quadrupled them or even more,” he said.

Meloni also rejected criticism of the deal, telling the UN assembly that “it is a model to use with other nations too”.

Italy and the EU have a similar deal with Libya, where people have reported severe human rights abuses in detention camps, including being beaten, tortured and raped. Others have reported murder in the camps and, as one young man from Sudan told the Guardian in Lampedusa, people dying of disease and hunger.

The European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, who accompanied Meloni during the visit to Lampedusa, where they both pledged the swift deportation of those turned down for asylum, urged EU member states to make use of a mechanism enabling them to voluntarily take in migrants to help ease the burden on Italy.

But none have so far been forthcoming, with the French interior minister, Gérald Darmanin, saying on Tuesday that while France was ready to assist with deporting people to their countries of origin, it “will not welcome” people arriving in Lampedusa.

</snip>

EU chief promises ‘action plan’ as Italy sees surge of asylum seekers

EU chief emphasises need for surveillance via sea and land as island of Lampedusa reports record arrivals.

The European Union has presented a plan for Italy to help it handle arrivals of migrants and refugees after a record number of people landed on its island of Lampedusa over the past week.

The surge in asylum seekers arriving on the Italian island has rekindled a fierce debate in Europe on how to share responsibility for the tens of thousands reaching the continent each year.

“Irregular migration is a European challenge and it needs a European answer,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said during a visit to Lampedusa on Sunday, offering a 10-point “action plan” to help Rome deal with the crisis.

She stressed that the better the EU gets at managing legal migration, the “stricter” it can be with irregular migration.

“We will decide who comes to the European Union and under what circumstances, and not the smugglers and traffickers,” von der Leyen said at a joint news conference with Italian Prime Minister Georgia Meloni.

The EU chief said she had already spoken to several EU leaders about the plan and was confident of their support.

</snip>

• Facepalm 2

An unthinkable act of war!? What do they think all these illegals are?

Italy changes tack on EU naval mission, repurposed as blockade

Three years ago, when EU naval mission "Sophia" was shut down after rescuing 45,000 migrants in the central Mediterranean, Italian opposition leader Giorgia Meloni was jubilant.

Now, as prime minister, she wants to bring it back — but this time she is calling for the European Union ship to focus on blocking migrant departures from North Africa rather than saving lives at sea, something experts on migration and international law say is unfeasible.

Meloni's change of tack comes after seeing her right-wing government's election promises to stop sea arrivals from North Africa undercut by landings on the island of Lampedusa. Last week well over 10,000 migrants reached the Italian island — whose permanent population is about 6,000.

</snip>

"It (the Sophia mission) is exactly the proposal I intend to bring to the next European Council when we talk about immigration," Meloni said in a television interview Sunday, hours after visiting Lampedusa with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

"Sophia," like previous EU and Italian naval missions, was opposed by Meloni and other right-wing politicians because they said it encouraged migrants to sail to Europe, often on flimsy boats, in the likelihood they would be rescued.

Critics say her idea of redeploying the ships to block departures is against the law and impracticable.

"Trying to put together a naval blockade would be an illegal, unthinkable act of war ... that would have devastating effects," said Ferruccio Pastore, head of the International and European Forum for Research on Immigration (Fieri).

</snip>

@Foxx wait, this is what I originally read:

Italy approves new migrant detention as talk turns to naval blockade to prevent launching of boats

The Italian government approved new measures to crack down on migration Monday, after the southern island of Lampedusa was again overwhelmed by a wave of arrivals setting off from Tunisia and the migration issue returned to centre stage in Europe with talk of a naval blockade.

The measures approved by the Cabinet focused on migrants who don’t qualify for asylum and are slated to be repatriated to their home countries. The government extended the amount of time such people can be detained to the EU maximum of 18 months. It also plans to increase the number of detention centers to hold them, since capacity has always been insufficient and many of those scheduled to be returned home manage to head farther north.

</snip>

Crap Throwing Clavin
43 minutes ago, Ann said:

@Foxx wait, this is what I originally read:

Italy approves new migrant detention as talk turns to naval blockade to prevent launching of boats

The Italian government approved new measures to crack down on migration Monday, after the southern island of Lampedusa was again overwhelmed by a wave of arrivals setting off from Tunisia and the migration issue returned to centre stage in Europe with talk of a naval blockade.

The measures approved by the Cabinet focused on migrants who don’t qualify for asylum and are slated to be repatriated to their home countries. The government extended the amount of time such people can be detained to the EU maximum of 18 months. It also plans to increase the number of detention centers to hold them, since capacity has always been insufficient and many of those scheduled to be returned home manage to head farther north.

</snip>

Lampeduse is about the size of my office desk.  

Italy would be better off evacuating it and ceding it.  Let someone else deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2