Deranged Rhino

Taro T
3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Anakin blew up the Death Star?  :classic_blink:

• I don't know 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Holy lord... 

Fire is nothing more than rapid exothermic oxidation...so sure, under the (very specific) right conditions you can have a "fire" in space.  Hell, there was one today...the Starliner launch.  Rocket engines produce "fire" in space.

Wouldn't look even remotely like that, though.  You need an atmosphere and gravity for it to even remotely look like a real fire.

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
46 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Fire is nothing more than rapid exothermic oxidation...so sure, under the (very specific) right conditions you can have a "fire" in space.  Hell, there was one today...the Starliner launch.  Rocket engines produce "fire" in space.

Wouldn't look even remotely like that, though.  You need an atmosphere and gravity for it to even remotely look like a real fire.

It's the sound that got me - they laid in campfire sounds of the fire burning :classic_laugh: 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's the sound that got me - they laid in campfire sounds of the fire burning :classic_laugh: 

I was in a meeting and didn't have the sound on.  That's hilarious.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

devnull
7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I was in a meeting and didn't have the sound on.  That's hilarious.  :classic_laugh:

Dude, Tom.

That brings back some memories of the "speed of sound in space" thread

That was one of the ATOP classics

• Haha 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 minutes ago, devnull said:

Dude, Tom.

That brings back some memories of the "speed of sound in space" thread

That was one of the ATOP classics

I was just thinking of that the other day.  The specific question was "Does sound travel faster than light in space."  I believe it was Puhonix that asked that.

You can guess my response.  

• Like 1

Gavin in Va Beach
19 hours ago, bdutton said:

They're right, it's a tipping point, but not in the way they think.

And Nathan Fillion? Come on dude, I can see the rest of those lib narcissistic buffoons signing up for this, but you're Canadian and Trudeau has turned your country into a shitshow. You should know better, Hope your soul was worth it.

• Like 3

I'm getting to the point where I want to cancel all my apps and watch old movies on DVD.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, Ann said:

I'm getting to the point where I want to cancel all my apps and watch old movies on DVD.

Now, get off my lawn.

Just wait another 6 months. The way everyone is bundling their streaming services, we'll be back to basic and premium cable subscriptions by then. 

It's wild. I don't know if it was a happy accident (I lean this way) or a bigger business plan all along, but thanks to the combination of the birth of streaming, COVID speeding up cord cutting in older demographics/traditional cable subscribers, then the WGA/SAG strikes shutting down production - the studios were able to almost completely remove all residuals to talent (for sure writers who aren't showrunners, and most actors/directors) - suddenly making "streaming" more profitable for the studios than the old network and cable models. 

Now, they're going to bundle them all up into essentially cable packages - sell ads on them like they used to on traditional TV/Cable - but they'll be classified in terms of WGA/SAG/DGA as "streaming" still, forcing them to use the residual models instead of the older, more profitable for artists, TV models. 

Oh, and they're on the verge of bringing this all back after having gutted the network exec level jobs (and programmer jobs) that had become super bloated. Meaning, less suits for the studios to have to split the profits with, less overhead to run the new "networks". 

One would hope this would mean the studios would then start putting more money into original programming since they have more money to go around. But somehow I suspect they'll be doubling down on "sure-thing", existing IP and end up making less content than in years past. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
44 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Just wait another 6 months. The way everyone is bundling their streaming services, we'll be back to basic and premium cable subscriptions by then. 

It's wild. I don't know if it was a happy accident (I lean this way) or a bigger business plan all along, but thanks to the combination of the birth of streaming, COVID speeding up cord cutting in older demographics/traditional cable subscribers, then the WGA/SAG strikes shutting down production - the studios were able to almost completely remove all residuals to talent (for sure writers who aren't showrunners, and most actors/directors) - suddenly making "streaming" more profitable for the studios than the old network and cable models. 

Now, they're going to bundle them all up into essentially cable packages - sell ads on them like they used to on traditional TV/Cable - but they'll be classified in terms of WGA/SAG/DGA as "streaming" still, forcing them to use the residual models instead of the older, more profitable for artists, TV models. 

Oh, and they're on the verge of bringing this all back after having gutted the network exec level jobs (and programmer jobs) that had become super bloated. Meaning, less suits for the studios to have to split the profits with, less overhead to run the new "networks". 

One would hope this would mean the studios would then start putting more money into original programming since they have more money to go around. But somehow I suspect they'll be doubling down on "sure-thing", existing IP and end up making less content than in years past. 

You know, regarding recycled IPs...I was just thinking the other day there was something we should look in to acquiring and re-doing.  But hell if I can remember what it is now.

• Popcorn 2

devnull
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'm old enough to remember when you were allowed to dislike Jar Jar Kinks instead of being required to celebrate C-3PLGBTQ Pride month

• Haha 3