Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The coeds HAVE to spend 1/2 the movie topless, right?

If so, this movie has some potential.

Apparently not.

I mean...it's not like I'm going to watch it to make sure, but the reviews and parental rating sites I've seen say it's pretty chaste (aside from...y'know...bikini jiggling.)

• Sad 1

devnull
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Holy shit, this movie is a thing.

Posting here because...well, still better than The Acolyte.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11650674/

You see, the swimming pool where the summon the shark is symbolic of the systemic restraints that The Patriarchy places upon womyn.

The ghost is representative of the specter of America's original sin

And of course the villain is a white shark

Nouseforaname
14 hours ago, Ann said:

:wacko:

Some of the hate this show is getting is ridiculous.  This is Star Wars we’re talking about.  It’s always been cheesy and lame. 

• Boo 1

Deranged Rhino
On 6/25/2024 at 3:10 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

The trailer.... 

devnull
7 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

Some of the hate this show is getting is ridiculous.  This is Star Wars we’re talking about.  It’s always been cheesy and lame. 

True, Star Wars has always been cheesy and lame.  But now it's cheesy, lame, and preachy.

If people wanted cheesy, lame, and preachy, they'd just go to church

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
24 minutes ago, devnull said:

True, Star Wars has always been cheesy and lame.  But now it's cheesy, lame, and preachy.

If people wanted cheesy, lame, and preachy, they'd just go to church

What’s preachy about it?

Edited by Nouseforaname
  • Doh! 1

2 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

What’s preachy about it?

IMO Rogue One is the 3rd best Star Wars movie (I still like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back better). It is a female lead. WTF are they doing with lesbians, the force getting someone pregnant, using a light saber for a haircut, etc.? Men will pay to see a strong female Science Fiction lead (Terminator, Aliens, etc), but not stupid shit.

Women do not watch Star Wars in large enough numbers to fund a series or a movie. And, to be quite frank... as someone who saw Star Wars as a kid in Boston (I dragged my aunt with me as I was too young to go myself and believe me, she had no interest and sat there bored while I was thrilled) before it was in wide release, I am an anomaly - women just are not interested. Who is the audience for this? 

Men are the sex that spends to see Science Fiction movies. If men want to see lesbians performance "art" they will watch fantasy pr0n. I know this, and I am not male! 

I have no idea what Disney is doing. At some point they are going to lose enough money that even the institutions that hold stock can no longer support this drivel. The day can't come soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

Nouseforaname
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

IMO Rogue One is the 3rd best Star Wars movie (I still like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back better). It is a female lead. WTF are they doing with lesbians, the force getting someone pregnant, using a light saber for a haircut, etc.? Men will pay to see a strong female Science Fiction lead (Terminator, Aliens, etc), but not stupid shit.

Women do not watch Star Wars in large enough numbers to fund a series or a movie. And, to be quite frank... as someone who saw Star Wars as a kid in Boston (I dragged my aunt with me as I was too young to go myself and believe me, she had no interest and sat there bored while I was thrilled) before it was in wide release, I am an anomaly - women just are not interested. Who is the audience for this? 

Men are the sex that spends to see Science Fiction movies. If men want to see lesbians perform, they will watch fantasy pr0n. I know this, and I am not male! 

I have no idea what Disney is doing. At some point they are going to lose enough money that even the institutions that hold stock can no longer support this drivel. The day can't come soon enough.

Lesbians? Are you referring to the witches of dathomir ?

As far as I can tell, the lead villain is a man and the lead good guy who is hiding something is also a man (squid game guy).  

IMO as wooden as the acting is and the plot lacking, obi wan series was infinitely worse and no one seems to be complaining with the same passion as acolyte. 

If you look at the content released by Disney over the last ten years, daisy Ridley, Asokha and the girl from acolyte are the only female leads as far as I can remember.  Mandalorian, andor, boba fett, obi wan and the rest have been male leads.  

Deranged Rhino
2 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

Lesbians? Are you referring to the witches of dathomir ?

As far as I can tell, the lead villain is a man and the lead good guy who is hiding something is also a man (squid game guy).  

IMO as wooden as the acting is and the plot lacking, obi wan series was infinitely worse and no one seems to be complaining with the same passion as acolyte. 

If you look at the content released by Disney over the last ten years, daisy Ridley, Asokha and the girl from acolyte are the only female leads as far as I can remember.  Mandalorian, andor, boba fett, obi wan and the rest have been male leads.  

Because Obi Wan was the second (? - not counting the Mando/ Boba spinoff) Star Wars property + turned into a show, and while "the message" was already known and being pushed by some of the core audience, no one knew just how badly infected with the mind virus Kennedy's captains, lieutenants, and chosen showrunners were. Plus, the first two seasons of Mando were a hit - and the audience was willing to forgive (or not be as vocal about their misgivings) when it came to Obi Wan. But it still took heat. 

Almost three years later (and two full new shows released in that time, which is a lot - one not so bad, Andor, and one terrible in Ashoka), a very clear pattern has emerged. Outside of Andor and S1-2 of Mando, each show has gotten progressively worse overall on every level (production, story, acting, directing, editing, effects, AND levels of preaching - see: the rest of Mando for more), but instead of course correcting to address the concerns of the fans, Disney's taken to using Rage Bait as their marketing strategy and get out of jail free card. As long as they frame it as a "send up" of the traditional, male audience (see: The Boys), then every critical review of the show isn't the fault of the makers, but the bigoted, narrow mindedness of the "traditional male audience" who they were trying to skewer. This allows them to plug their ears and close their eyes and keep making shows without doing a lick of self reflection about some of the valid criticisms they're taking. 

So it's not a surprise people are more vocal about this one than Obi Wan. They've had more distance to see the strategy with the IP and they're not happy. And since Disney isn't going to take their concerns seriously, and worse, blame the audience for their own shortcomings as writers, actors, directors, and producers - then the fans reviews and discussions are only going to get more vitriolic until Disney's wrung every last dime out of the IP and it gets tossed aside.

• Cheers 5

Nouseforaname
51 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Because Obi Wan was the second (? - not counting the Mando/ Boba spinoff) Star Wars property + turned into a show, and while "the message" was already known and being pushed by some of the core audience, no one knew just how badly infected with the mind virus Kennedy's captains, lieutenants, and chosen showrunners were. Plus, the first two seasons of Mando were a hit - and the audience was willing to forgive (or not be as vocal about their misgivings) when it came to Obi Wan. But it still took heat. 

Almost three years later (and two full new shows released in that time, which is a lot - one not so bad, Andor, and one terrible in Ashoka), a very clear pattern has emerged. Outside of Andor and S1-2 of Mando, each show has gotten progressively worse overall on every level (production, story, acting, directing, editing, effects, AND levels of preaching - see: the rest of Mando for more), but instead of course correcting to address the concerns of the fans, Disney's taken to using Rage Bait as their marketing strategy and get out of jail free card. As long as they frame it as a "send up" of the traditional, male audience (see: The Boys), then every critical review of the show isn't the fault of the makers, but the bigoted, narrow mindedness of the "traditional male audience" who they were trying to skewer. This allows them to plug their ears and close their eyes and keep making shows without doing a lick of self reflection about some of the valid criticisms they're taking. 

So it's not a surprise people are more vocal about this one than Obi Wan. They've had more distance to see the strategy with the IP and they're not happy. And since Disney isn't going to take their concerns seriously, and worse, blame the audience for their own shortcomings as writers, actors, directors, and producers - then the fans reviews and discussions are only going to get more vitriolic until Disney's wrung every last dime out of the IP and it gets tossed aside.

And yet, nothing about the show in terms of the actual story is preachy.  Maybe the people writing and being cast can be seen as DEI hires and I could get that argument but the actual storyline so far is pretty much in line with most Star Wars lore, assuming you’ve watched clone wars and played TOR.

Final point, why does lesbian witches feel preachy while middle aged men taking children from their families to teach them new powers not raise any questions ?

Deranged Rhino
9 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

And yet, nothing about the show in terms of the actual story is preachy.  Maybe the people writing and being cast can be seen as DEI hires and I could get that argument but the actual storyline so far is pretty much in line with most Star Wars lore, assuming you’ve watched clone wars and played TOR.

Final point, why does lesbian witches feel preachy while middle aged men taking children from their families to teach them new powers not raise any questions ?

The entire show was advertised, gleefully, by Disney, as being the "gayest Star Wars ever". That was the mandate at the start of pre-production from Leslie and Kathleen. I'd argue that if you don't see the preachiness in episodes 1-3 (all I've seen, can't speak for the rest) it's maybe because you've become numb to the preachiness as a whole which would be understandable (because it's everywhere and in everything mainstream Hollywood makes now).  

It's not the inclusion of lesbian witches that makes it preachy (the pro-communist talking point witch chant aside), it's how every character is shaded and drawn. It's in the plot machinations. It's in the dialogue itself. 

(couldn't find a clip of just the interview - I don't know who the commentator is or care, just posting for the Leslie's comments)

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The entire show was advertised, gleefully, by Disney, as being the "gayest Star Wars ever". That was the mandate at the start of pre-production from Leslie and Kathleen. I'd argue that if you don't see the preachiness in episodes 1-3 (all I've seen, can't speak for the rest) it's maybe because you've become numb to the preachiness as a whole which would be understandable (because it's everywhere and in everything mainstream Hollywood makes now).  

It's not the inclusion of lesbian witches that makes it preachy (the pro-communist talking point witch chant aside), it's how every character is shaded and drawn. It's in the plot machinations. It's in the dialogue itself. 

(couldn't find a clip of just the interview - I don't know who the commentator is or care, just posting for the Leslie's comments)

I’ve seen this and yet nothing with respect to the content is really pushing any message that is really any different than classic Star Wars.

And you ignored my second point, isn’t it sketchier that a beloved show “preached” young children being taken away from their families to be “trained” by strangers ?

Deranged Rhino
1 minute ago, Nouseforaname said:

I’ve seen this and yet nothing with respect to the content is really pushing any message that is really any different than classic Star Wars.

And you ignored my second point, isn’t it sketchier that a beloved show “preached” young children being taken away from their families to be “trained” by strangers ?

(Was adding this to the above post but then you responded so adding it here)

For added reference: I've never worked on a Star Wars property, but I worked on a show where half the writers in the room came over directly from Clone Wars after it ended. These were die hard Star Wars guys, and really brilliant writers - most of whom wanted to move to + to work on one of the Star Wars shows. These are guys who got Emmy nominations, and whose episodes are lauded by fans still today.

Yet, everyone of them was denied even an interview or a chance to submit for the new + shows because they were middle aged white men and + was specifically telling agents and managers not to submit any male, white writers to these shows because they wouldn't be hired. These were guys who wrote some of the best Star Wars IP stuff in the past decade imo - but they weren't even allowed in the room because they didn't fit the "look" Disney wanted for Star Wars going forward. And, at least two of them that I'm friendly with, are as left leaning as it comes politically. Still didn't matter.

It's wild.

Let's be clear - I don't think it's "sketchy" to push woke ideology or pro gay ideology. I don't have a moral objection to it. I just think it's bad business to keep pushing any political ideology at the expense of the brand. My objections with Disney's approach is all about making better movies and shows, not politics. They're the ones who are making it political, intentionally so by who they're hiring to carry the flag. And I think that's a mistake from a fan service point of view (which is what these shows should be above all else, fan service). But instead of servicing fans, Kennedy's mandate is actively and intentionally antagonizing wide swaths of their fanbase because they feel a moral obligation to preach to the unenlightened in their eyes. 

That's never worked well for Hollywood. The number 1 rule in screenwriting since the medium was born was to "show, don't tell". In the past 10 years that rule has been turned on its head as studios turned to activists to make content for them rather than lovers of film and television. 

All that aside, the notion of young kids being taken away from their families to be trained has been a staple of fantasy and sci-fi novels and storytelling since its inception. Even more so in Asian cinema where Lucas took a lot of his original inspiration. From Star Wars, to X-Men, to Ender's Game, to Harry Potter - it's a well worn trope. It's weird, and certainly can be problematic in some forms - but it predates either of our existence on this planet in terms of its usage in fiction.

Certainly more so than space witches using the "string" to create life without requiring a stupid, dangerous, and evil man. 

• Like 1

Keukasmallie

Whew, glad I missed the Star Wars movies...there were more than one, eh?

Crap Throwing Clavin

Do we really have to argue about the preachiness of The Acolyte when we can all just agree that a campfire in space already makes it the pinnacle of stupidity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
51 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

If you're judging Star Wars by Episode 1, you've pretty much lost the argument already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

Ever heard of medieval knights? How do you think they were trained? At home? Nope. They went off to train in other households.  I donno, Jedi knights may have something in common with that. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ann said:

Ever heard of medieval knights? How do you think they were trained? At home? Nope. They went off to train in other households. 

Or apprentices of almost any sort. (and that word is a direct tie-in to the Star Wars universe).

I can't think of any modern day examples though (aside from up and coming athletes, like gymnasts or figure skaters) without it being slave labor...or worse.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino

What's funny about this (to me) is not the story or the notion that this lady is trying to get repped by a Hollywood agent - it's how obvious it is that someone who works at UTA wrote that community note. No one in town thinks of UTA as "Tinseltown's most powerful firm". No one. :classic_laugh: 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

What's funny about this (to me) is not the story or the notion that this lady is trying to get repped by a Hollywood agent - it's how obvious it is that someone who works at UTA wrote that community note. No one in town thinks of UTA as "Tinseltown's most powerful firm". No one. :classic_laugh: 

I am so sincerely happy that I have absolutely no &#%$ing idea what this meme's about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2