Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Russia Russia Russia

RkFast

Jauronimo
On 8/8/2024 at 10:20 AM, RochesterRob said:

This will be a test of Putin's intentions.  I still believe he wants Ukraine for its resources including one of the largest tracts of agricultural land in the world.  If things keep going not according to plan will he take drastic measures up to and including a nuclear response?  

Nuking the farm land they hope to cultivate is an interesting strategy.  But Russia is always playing the long game.  And how long could a "half-life" be anyway in a country where people only live to be 47?  I could see thinking twice about it in a blue zone like Japan or the Mediterranean but Ukraine?!? Seems a rather arbitrary unit of measure the more I think about it.

Edited by Jauronimo

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deranged Rhino

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• Nouseforaname

• Foxx

RochesterRob
14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Nuking the farm land they hope to cultivate is an interesting strategy.  But Russia is always playing the long game.  And how long could a "half-life" be anyway in a country where people only live to be 47?  I could see thinking twice about it in a blue zone like Japan or the Mediterranean but Ukraine?!? Seems a rather arbitrary unit of measure the more I think about it.

That is not the point.  I was questioning that given the likely interest in Ukraine's farmland among other resources how long will Putin take the adult view and not engage in a childish temper tantrum?  Putin is quite used to getting what he wants and in a relatively short period of time.  I would imagine that waiting is not one of his virtues.  As I said down thread Ukraine would allow Putin to wield power via food like the US does.

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

That is not the point.  I was questioning that given the likely interest in Ukraine's farmland among other resources how long will Putin take the adult view and not engage in a childish temper tantrum?  Putin is quite used to getting what he wants and in a relatively short period of time.  I would imagine that waiting is not one of his virtues.  As I said down thread Ukraine would allow Putin to wield power via food like the US does.

Russia already exports twice as much agricultural production than Ukraine ever did.  And no one's nuking anyone else for farmland.

RochesterRob
Just now, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Russia already exports twice as much agricultural production than Ukraine ever did.  And no one's nuking anyone else for farmland.

That is because Ukraine historically has been inefficient in its production and for the most part its people has lacked incentive financial and otherwise to improve production.  I've sat through hours of lectures about world food production while in college many years ago.  If Ukraine could put its mind to it that country could blow the doors off of the US in terms of grain production.  Putin's goal would be to have American-like control over other countries via food plus cripple one of the dwindling industries the US is dominant at.  My central question is will Putin avoid having a childish response to a war not concluding in a short period of time?  I never said that using nukes was a good strategy to secure territory which would serve a purpose for the conquering nation.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
31 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Nuclear weapons give off much less fallout than people realize.  Look at it this way: Hiroshima and Nagasaki were re-settled within 10 years, and those first-generation bomb was comparatively dirty compared to modern weapons.  

Unless you use a weapon specifically designed to be dirty, or specifically deploy a weapon to maximize fallout (ground burst that puts a lot of neutron-activated soil elements into the air), you could nuke farmland and not lose more than a couple of years of production.

The bigger question is: why would you even do this?  What's the strategic benefit?  Why would you waste nuclear weapons on sunflowers?

4merper4mer
3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The bigger question is: why would you even do this?  What's the strategic benefit?  Why would you waste nuclear weapons on sunflowers?

Sunflowers are the new penguins?

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Sunflowers are the new penguins?

Sunflowers are the Tom Petty of oil seeds.

But hey...control the sunflowers, control the world.  

Jauronimo
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Nuclear weapons give off much less fallout than people realize.  Look at it this way: Hiroshima and Nagasaki were re-settled within 10 years, and those first-generation bomb was comparatively dirty compared to modern weapons.  

Unless you use a weapon specifically designed to be dirty, or specifically deploy a weapon to maximize fallout (ground burst that puts a lot of neutron-activated soil elements into the air), you could nuke farmland and not lose more than a couple of years of production.

The Japanese are built differently.  They have much higher tolerance for radiation than westerners and even other Asian-pacific islanders.  Its likely due to the elevated levels of mercury in their blood from excessive tuna consumption.  Its why you see people volunteer for Fukushima cleanup duty and live long productive lives afterward.  Its also why Japan is a hotspot for all manner of atomic monsters.

• Applause 2
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

Fansince88
4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

69.3 years is the average lifespan. How much more of your post is false infomation? You are the problem!

Nouseforaname
11 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

69.3 years is the average lifespan. How much more of your post is false infomation? You are the problem!

69.3 is in rubles. That’s 47 in American years.

• Haha 1

Jauronimo
2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Of a slav?!?  LOL!  I think not.  What mainstream IC fed fake news outlet gave you that fun talking point? 

Nice try, but I have a blue checkmark.  I own the truth.  

• Haha 1

Fansince88
3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Of a slav?!?  LOL!  I think not.  What mainstream IC fed fake news outlet gave you that fun talking point? 

Nice try, but I have a blue checkmark.  I own the truth.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/971100/life-expectancy-at-birth-in-russia-by-gender/#:~:text=Life expectancy at birth in Russia 2022%2C by gender&text=Contrastingly%2C 'life expectancy of men,ranked last%2C with 67.57 years.

This is another page.

ucanthandlethetruth-jack-nicholson.gif

NOT IMPRESSED BY THEIR LOGISTICS BUT I AM IMPRESSED BY THE DEPTH OF THEIR STORAGE:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Ann said:

The very obvious implication her is "We have to punish Russia because we think the American voter is irretrievably stupid."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The very obvious implication her is "We have to punish Russia because we think the American voter is irretrievably stupid."

When's the last time a D didn't do something/ support a policy that at minimum implies they believe Americans are irretrievably stupid?

• Like 1