Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Climate policy

snafu

Spartacus

too many cow farts to work efficiently

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/thursday-humor-what-optimal-temperature-global-gdp-growth

The journal Nature published an influential article in 2015 by Marshall Burke, Solomon M. Hsiang, and Edward Miguel (hereafter BHM) purporting to show that higher temperatures will lower economic growth in warm countries.

A group of climate alarmists have concluded that global GDP will be 23 percent lower on the current path.

How-Does-Temperature-Affect-GDP.jpg?itok

On the geek side, Barker notes “Any data, no matter how noisy, will generate a smooth quadratic curve if one variable is regressed on another and its square and the predicted values of the dependent variable are plotted against possible values of the independent variable.”

Thus, the nice smooth graphs of BHM are automatic by design.

Regarding the lead chart, Barker says “Five countries are cherry-picked to make the relationship appear to be significant. While the figure is not a crucial part of BHM’s analysis, it is indicative of the misleading approach of the paper, and suggests alternative methods of measuring the relationship between growth and temperature.“

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It would be funny to have someone release what this guy's diet has looked like for the past 30 days.

But don't think for a second that you're going to take my beef away, mf'er. Ain't happenin'.

Been a while since I've exercised my "Every time PETA says something extremely stupid, have a bacon double cheeseburger" rule.  Maybe I should expand it to the WHO.

IDBillzFan
56 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Been a while since I've exercised my "Every time PETA says something extremely stupid, have a bacon double cheeseburger" rule.  Maybe I should expand it to the WHO.

tumblr mi1d8uhmfq1qedb29o1 500

• Like 1

Nanker
54 minutes ago, Ann said:

Stop subsidizing them. Then, see how many buy them.

This is a scandal:

Federal "Investment!" Yeah, right. Like the tens of thousands of gas stations that the Federal Government built when the automobile was becoming a mass produced item. 

These people are a cancer.

• Cheers 2

Nanker

"What is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?" Thomas Sowell.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

devnull
2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Makes you wonder. Are all Pete's morons?

LmpwZw

Uncle Joe

So Climate Change is responsible for all these wildfires/

Ex-college professor sentenced for setting 7 wildfires
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2024/06/ex-college-professor-sentenced-for-setting-7-wildfires.htm

"A former criminal justice professor who set at least 7 fires...was sentenced Thursday to five years and three months in prison, prosecutors said.

<snip>
Maynard suffered from untreated mental health issues and was homeless when arson spree began, according to a sentencing memorandum filed by his attorneys. He has been attempting to treat his illnesses while in custody and will continue his treatment in prison, the defense wrote."

• Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Nanker said:

"Global warming causes cooling" is usually the explanation.  Which is really the difference between science and pseudoscience - when you dismiss contrary data as supporting your theory, you're being unscientific.

More seriously: local, and even regional, weather is not global climate.  You need to look at the integrated temperature of the globe as a whole...which no one ever does, because "pseudoscience."

• Like 1

Taro T
28 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

"Global warming causes cooling" is usually the explanation.  Which is really the difference between science and pseudoscience - when you dismiss contrary data as supporting your theory, you're being unscientific.

More seriously: local, and even regional, weather is not global climate.  You need to look at the integrated temperature of the globe as a whole...which no one ever does, because "pseudoscience."

They also, as you mention, point out that regional weather not conforming to their claims &/or predictions does not disprove their theories.  Remember reading about a study (just read the abstract, not the article itself) from the early 90's looking at all US temperature data going back to the early-mid 1800's through to the early 90's (which was by far the most complete data set over that timeperiod) and it showed no appreciable temperature change (in either direction).

The data & results were poo-poo'd because it only covered 5% of the Earth's surface and didn't mean ANYTHING.  (Which, technically was correct; but the Michael Manns of this world would've been all over that study had it supported their contentions.)

People that think the US and Europe are becoming athiest nations are off slightly.  Seems from this vantage point, that they're heading away from Judeo-Christian orthodoxy into Environtology.  (People need to believe in something.)

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Taro T said:

People that think the US and Europe are becoming athiest nations are off slightly.  Seems from this vantage point, that they're heading away from Judeo-Christian orthodoxy into Environtology.  (People need to believe in something.)

You know what really amuses me?

That the climate zealots, who usually (but not universally) reject Judeo-Christianity, embrace the idea of Genesis 1:28 (God giving man dominion over the earth) more slavishly than most Christians.  

Really annoys the shit out of some of them, when I point out they're more Christian than the Christians they hate.  

• Like 2