Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Climate policy

snafu

Uncle Joe
On 3/20/2024 at 9:42 AM, Ann said:

Biden Administration Announces Rules Aimed at Phasing Out Gas Cars
The regulations would require automakers to produce more electric vehicles and hybrids by gradually tightening limits on tailpipe pollution.

The Biden administration on Wednesday issued one of the most significant climate regulations in the nation’s history, a rule designed to ensure that the majority of new passenger cars and light trucks sold in the United States are all-electric or hybrids by 2032.

Nearly three years in the making, the new tailpipe pollution limits from the Environmental Protection Agency would transform the American automobile market. A record 1.2 million electric vehicles rolled off dealers’ lots last year, but they made up just 7.6 percent of total U.S. car sales, far from the 56 percent target under the new regulation. An additional 16 percent of new cars sold would be hybrids.

</snip>

A friend of mine told me that this was caused by a parked electrical vehicle:
https://www.oregoncoastbreakingnews.com/post/duplex-fire-in-gleneden-beach

The worst greenhouse gas is water vapor. CO2 is 0.04% of the earth's air. Plants and trees need CO2 olive and grow. 

May this year was the coldest May we've had in nearly two decades.

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Nanker said:

The worst greenhouse gas is water vapor. CO2 is 0.04% of the earth's air. Plants and trees need CO2 olive and grow. 

May this year was the coldest May we've had in decades.

The worst greenhouse gas is methane.  The most common is water vapor.  The issue with CO2 compare to both methane and water vapor is that CO2 stays in the atmosphere for centuries, vs. about a decade for methane and, realistically, weeks for water vapor.  So the difference between CO2 and everything else is the difference between long-term forcing and short-term variance.  

The problem with panicking about CO2 is that no one can decide if the greenhouse effect is lin or log, no one can make predictions based on the effect, and everyone uses the same damn model, so the "agreement" between scientists is based on an single unchallenged theory.

Note, too, that global warming begins to increase decrease increase sharply when SO2 aerosols (which block solar radiation and cause a cooling effect) start to drop after mandates to industry to reduce SO2 emissions.  

Edited by Crap Throwing Clavin
  • Like 1

I thought that SO2 aerosols were something that brought about cooling of the atmosphere, e.g., erupting volcanos. Inversely like heavy cloud cover in winter forms a blanket that keeps the temperature up - and cloudless nights bring freezing cold temperatures in winter.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

I thought that SO2 aerosols were something that brought about cooling of the atmosphere, e.g., erupting volcanos. Inversely like heavy cloud cover in winter forms a blanket that keeps the temperature up - and cloudless nights bring freezing cold temperatures in winter.

They are.  I mistyped "decrease."  :doh:  Fixed.

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The worst greenhouse gas is methane.  The most common is water vapor.  The issue with CO2 compare to both methane and water vapor is that CO2 stays in the atmosphere for centuries, vs. about a decade for methane and, realistically, weeks for water vapor.  So the difference between CO2 and everything else is the difference between long-term forcing and short-term variance.  

The problem with panicking about CO2 is that no one can decide if the greenhouse effect is lin or log, no one can make predictions based on the effect, and everyone uses the same damn model, so the "agreement" between scientists is based on an single unchallenged theory.

Note, too, that global warming begins to increase decrease sharply when SO2 aerosols (which block solar radiation and cause a cooling effect) start to drop after mandates to industry to reduce SO2 emissions.  

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

They are.  I mistyped "decrease."  :doh:  Fixed.

Pretty sure you had it right the 1st time.  "(G)lobal warming begins to increase sharply when SO2 aerosols ... start to drop after mandates to industry to reduce SO2 emissions."  Yes, when SO2 emissions decrease, global warming increases (all other variables being constant).  The mandates lowered sulphur content in fuels, decreasing SO2 emissions, which should have reduced the cooling effect from SOx.  

SOx emissions didn't get limited under the CAA to effect global climate; SOx emissions got limited to reduce acid rain (Anyone remember THAT environmental cause?  Well, besides, you, Tom?  Yeah, didn't think so.  😉 ) to increase the pH levels in lakes in the Adirondacks.  Haven't seen any studies on acid levels in the lakes since the 90's; but do know that due to the formations the lakes were carved into that they tend to naturally be fairly acidic and they weren't seeing the effects (to that point in time) that they'd expected.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure you had it right the 1st time.  "(G)lobal warming begins to increase sharply when SO2 aerosols ... start to drop after mandates to industry to reduce SO2 emissions."  Yes, when SO2 emissions decrease, global warming increases (all other variables being constant).  The mandates lowered sulphur content in fuels, decreasing SO2 emissions, which should have reduced the cooling effect from SOx.  

SOx emissions didn't get limited under the CAA to effect global climate; SOx emissions got limited to reduce acid rain (Anyone remember THAT environmental cause?  Well, besides, you, Tom?  Yeah, didn't think so.  😉 ) to increase the pH levels in lakes in the Adirondacks.  Haven't seen any studies on acid levels in the lakes since the 90's; but do know that due to the formations the lakes were carved into that they tend to naturally be fairly acidic and they weren't seeing the effects (to that point in time) that they'd expected.

You're right, I did have it right the first time.  Editing my edit.  And making a note never to trust Nanker to correct me.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Mike.

The Antarctic ice sheet contains ~26.5 million km³ of ice, which works out to ~24.3 million gigatons (Gt) of ice, using the conversion factor that the mass of 1.0 Gt of ice = 1.091 km³ of ice.

Now, given that 1.0 Gt of ice = 1.0 billion tons and the ice sheet contains 24.3 million billion tons of ice. So, if the ice sheet is losing ~150 billion tons of ice per year, then it would take roughly 162 THOUSAND years for the entire ice sheet to melt.

In other words, I'm not concerned about the stability of the Antarctic ice sheet, and you shouldn't be worried either.

• Haha 5
  • Applause 2

devnull
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Hi Mike.

The Antarctic ice sheet contains ~26.5 million km³ of ice, which works out to ~24.3 million gigatons (Gt) of ice, using the conversion factor that the mass of 1.0 Gt of ice = 1.091 km³ of ice.

Now, given that 1.0 Gt of ice = 1.0 billion tons and the ice sheet contains 24.3 million billion tons of ice. So, if the ice sheet is losing ~150 billion tons of ice per year, then it would take roughly 162 THOUSAND years for the entire ice sheet to melt.

In other words, I'm not concerned about the stability of the Antarctic ice sheet, and you shouldn't be worried either.

The ice sheets melted a long time ago

The New York Jets won a Super Bowl a long time ago

Neither are likely to happen again any time soon

Edited by devnull
  • Like 1

Nelson59

I'm chuckling at all this BS. Man-created Climate change is the biggest line of $hit I have ever heard.

What I find truly moronic are solar farms. That goes against deforestation. Now as a scientist (chemist actually), I can get behind stopping deforestation, thus stop creating solar farms.

All this crap is lining someone's pockets. It is the biggest farse known to man. The bold face lies and lack of scientific facts are disturbing. It insults a true scientist's intelligence. Go back to tree hugging, please!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

devnull
5 hours ago, Nelson59 said:

All this crap is lining someone's pockets. It is the biggest farse known to man. The bold face lies and lack of scientific facts are disturbing. It insults a true scientist's intelligence. Go back to tree hugging, please!!

It's about lining pockets and more importantly, societal control

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

devnull
2 hours ago, Ann said:

11.thumb.jpg.880b3b917078ae32220a49d2507bc929.jpg

To be fair, she didn't say we'd all be dead within 5 years

She said we would all be dead if we didn't adopt Communism within the next 5 years

But here we are, 5 years later.

With time to repent of our sins

And adopt Communism

Praise be to the forgiveness of Communism

• Like 2
  • Doh! 1

34 minutes ago, Ann said:

We are going in August. :censored:

My sister went last week, said it was surprisingly more interesting than she thought it would be.

She is extremely upset.

• Cheers 3

IDBillzFan
2 hours ago, B-Man said:

:mad2:

On the upside, these idiots have done what no politician has ever done: they've brought the world together to agree that they are, quite possibly, the most stupid, most embarrassing and most hated protesters who don't block traffic.

Imagine being this pjhucking stupid.

• Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, B-Man said:

:mad2:

Oh, so what?  It's not like they defaced a Pride flag or anything.

(Seriously...you get more time defacing a Pride flag painted on the street with tire marks than you get for vandalizing a UNESCO World Heritage Site.) 

• Like 2