Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

it's the economy

Spartacus

RochesterRob
5 minutes ago, snafu said:

Boots on the ground level feels like a recession.  People are just zombie-ing around.  There's no real growth at all.

We're going to get real numbers some day and it will reflect a drop.  Feels like a big drop since at least the beginning of the year.  But since it is an election year, we won't know about it until way after it started.

The trouble is that the US government is well practiced at burying bad economic news and has been for decades regardless of which party is in charge in DC.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, snafu said:

Boots on the ground level feels like a recession.  People are just zombie-ing around.  There's no real growth at all.

We're going to get real numbers some day and it will reflect a drop.  Feels like a big drop since at least the beginning of the year.  But since it is an election year, we won't know about it until way after it started.

Stock market is reliably up in election years.

But after the election...if we got a 1000 point pull-back on the S&P by next summer, I would be entirely unsurprised.  (And yes, I've hedged against it.)  Hell, if Trump wins, we'll probably get a 100 point drop the following morning.

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
30 minutes ago, snafu said:

If that’s the case in the US where the economy on a macro level is strong, id hate to see Canada 

https://financialpost.com/news/canada-standard-of-living-faces-worst-decline-40-years

RochesterRob

A lot of manipulation got us to this point.  Suppressing interest rates and extending terms got more people into homes.  This in turn increased home values.  Second mortgages played a large role in the consumer economy of recent decades.  The US government has painted itself into a corner where it has no choice but to print money and maintain historically liberal lending practices to stave off a very sharp falloff in home values and keep certain vital consumer industries viable.  I fear the inevitable is just around the corner where modest two story homes will see a one third or greater decline in value.  That the camper and Kubota dealers will become ghost towns.  125,000 dollar high end pick up trucks will stack up on dealer's lots.  

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
49 minutes ago, Ann said:

Of course.

1) As an Arab state, why would you trust the US as an ally of Israel?

2) After listening to US leaders call you evil for years, why would you trust the US as your ally?

3) As an ally of the US, why would you trust the US after seeing how they manage their alliance with Israel?

4) Now that China has done more to stabilize and normalize relations between Iran and the Arab world, including the Saudis, why wouldn't you want to be more inside the Chinese sphere of influence?

• I don't know 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/13/2024 at 3:11 PM, Ann said:

I saw on X (Twitter) that this is not exactly true. The US wants a new deal, but did the old deal not exist? and now I cannot find that tweet. So *grain of salt*

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I saw on X (Twitter) that this is not exactly true. The US wants a new deal, but did the old deal not exist? and now I cannot find that tweet. So *grain of salt*

Just search “Saudi dollar” on X. You’ll see a lot. 

• Cheers 2

Billsandhorns
On 6/15/2024 at 8:42 AM, Nanker said:

Just search “Saudi dollar” on X. You’ll see a lot. 

Good thing the "adults are back in charge."..

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Uncle Joe
53 minutes ago, Ann said:

And don't get her started on the price of a pack of smokes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Prices up 100%, drop them 20% from those highs… prices have gone down. :classic_dry:

• clown 3
  • Facepalm 1

Deranged Rhino

I know the saying is the biggest microphone always wins - that's just not true anymore. And we're seeing it with stories like this breaking today. 

4 years ago, most middle Americans who don't pay attention would believe this if they ran across it on their news feed. 8 years ago, that number was even higher. Today? It's getting mocked and ratioed even on the left. 

The biggest microphone still has power, but it's not the king of the hill anymore. That's what is freaking out the establishment the most. The decay of their biggest tool. 

This is a good thing for the country in the long run. The more and more the manipulation and control gets exposed, the easier and more palatable what needs to be done becomes for the American People.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I know the saying is the biggest microphone always wins - that's just not true anymore. And we're seeing it with stories like this breaking today. 

4 years ago, most middle Americans who don't pay attention would believe this if they ran across it on their news feed. 8 years ago, that number was even higher. Today? It's getting mocked and ratioed even on the left. 

The biggest microphone still has power, but it's not the king of the hill anymore. That's what is freaking out the establishment the most. The decay of their biggest tool. 

This is a good thing for the country in the long run. The more and more the manipulation and control gets exposed, the easier and more palatable what needs to be done becomes for the American People.

Ten of those economists must be Paul Krugman.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...