Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Conspiracy "theories"

Spartacus

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Crap won't admit any connection until a clinical trial is performed where the victims are directly administered DDT, so they can track them against a bubble boy population for 20 years.

Since neither population can ever be realized, no acceptable clinical test will ever generate conclusive evidence of causation - so DDT the obvious result is DDT is as safe as the jab.    

Nearly all the research over 60 years says there is no connection.  You have to cherry-pick a handful of papers that say their "might be" a connection, and ignore the vast majority that says there isn't, to make the statement "there's a connection."

And that's not how science works.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• Deranged Rhino

• Nouseforaname

• devnull

On 2/28/2023 at 9:22 AM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Nearly all the research over 60 years says there is no connection.  You have to cherry-pick a handful of papers that say their "might be" a connection, and ignore the vast majority that says there isn't, to make the statement "there's a connection."

And that's not how science works.

Not how it's supposed to work.  As everything continues to become politicized, not positive that's completely true anymore.  (Well, technically your statement is true, but you get the meaning of this.)

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not how it's supposed to work.  As everything continues to become politicized, not positive that's completely true anymore.  (Well, technically your statement is true, but you get the meaning of this.)

I think I've mentioned it before, but the single biggest reason I didn't go for my Ph.D. is because my Master's Thesis was a great big "&#%$ you" from my thesis advisor to three guys in Italy who had a downright savage disagreement over whether the direction of a curve at the extreme end was slightly up, or slightly down.  When I pointed out that my data didn't support either conclusion - it was based on the very last value approximated from a power series approximation of several million terms, and hence couldn't be relied on to be accurate - I was told to not write that down, because the Italians had to lose the argument.  

And this was hardly politicized - it was about the decay of excited states in an asymmetric "spin glass" that maybe only twelve people in the world cared about.  It was just...personal animosity.

Thus, you can see where my "what does this mean/why is this so/is this even accurate?" skepticism of even genuine scientific research papers (never mind science reporting, which is universally shit in American media) comes from.  Even in non-politicized topics, the scientific method is often not followed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I think I've mentioned it before, but the single biggest reason I didn't go for my Ph.D. is because my Master's Thesis was a great big "&#%$ you" from my thesis advisor to three guys in Italy who had a downright savage disagreement over whether the direction of a curve at the extreme end was slightly up, or slightly down.  When I pointed out that my data didn't support either conclusion - it was based on the very last value approximated from a power series approximation of several million terms, and hence couldn't be relied on to be accurate - I was told to not write that down, because the Italians had to lose the argument.  

And this was hardly politicized - it was about the decay of excited states in an asymmetric "spin glass" that maybe only twelve people in the world cared about.  It was just...personal animosity.

Thus, you can see where my "what does this mean/why is this so/is this even accurate?" skepticism of even genuine scientific research papers (never mind science reporting, which is universally shit in American media) comes from.  Even in non-politicized topics, the scientific method is often not followed.

Mine comes from a heat transfer professor who would routinely have us read published journal articles and find the faults in them.

That, and being in grad school and knowing some REALLY dumb people that ended up with PhD's.  (Book smart, obviously, but dumber than a box of rocks when it came to actually understanding what that book learning meant or how to use it or really how to do anything in real life.  One of them was in charge of getting donuts for the Friday AM symposiums we had to attend.  Would only buy glazed donuts because she was convinced they were cheaper than the other donuts.  Got pissed off when my buddy got the same quanity of donuts but actually in a variety for the same price.)

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Mine comes from a heat transfer professor who would routinely have us read published journal articles and find the faults in them.

That, and being in grad school and knowing some REALLY dumb people that ended up with PhD's.  (Book smart, obviously, but dumber than a box of rocks when it came to actually understanding what that book learning meant or how to use it or really how to do anything in real life.  One of them was in charge of getting donuts for the Friday AM symposiums we had to attend.  Would only buy glazed donuts because she was convinced they were cheaper than the other donuts.  Got pissed off when my buddy got the same quanity of donuts but actually in a variety for the same price.)

One of my favorite "Knowing what shit means" tests I got from Richard Feynman: show someone a French Curve, and tell them "It's specially designed so that when you hold it perpendicular to the ground, however you orient it, the lowest part of the curve is parallel with the ground."

Anyone who knows what calculus means says "Of course.  The derivative of the minimum of a curve is zero."  Most people, even those who have been taught calculus, don't realize that.

Most people are easier to filter out, though.  E.g. "Messenger RNA isn't natural!"

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Are we still arguing about whether or not poison is poisonous?

Sure.

Name one person that's died from DDT.

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Sure.

Conversely, I'll quote the multiple studies that point out that - at a minimum - 30 million people have died from banning DDT.  (Some studies say 500 million...which is ridiculous.  Malaria is not worse than smallpox.)

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

And if you want an example of poor science, there's this:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9210731/

The authors conducted a proportional mortality study of 1,043 deaths that occurred between 1956 and 1992 among men who used mainly dichloro-diphenyl-trichloroethane (DDT) in an anti-malarial campaign in Sardinia, Italy, during the late 1940s. For each cause of interest, investigators compared observed deaths with expected deaths. The estimated DDT exposure ranged from 170 to 600 mg/m3 in indoor operations and from 24 to 86 mg/m3 in outdoor operations. Workers directly exposed to DDT had a significant increase in risk for liver and biliary tract cancers (PMR = 228; 95% confidence interval = 143, 345) and multiple myeloma (PMR = 341; 95% confidence interval = 110, 795). However, the PMR for liver and biliary tract cancers was also elevated among workers who did not have direct occupational contact with DDT, and the authors observed no increase in either PMR, by number of days in exposed jobs. Perhaps DDT did not increase the risk or perhaps occupational exposure, although quite high, did not further increase the risk, compared with the heavy baseline exposure of the entire Sardinian population, (i.e., mainly through diet and drinking water). Expansion of the cohort to include all exposed workers, and collection of information to improve exposure assessment are needed to clarify these findings.

Know what the bolded means?  Means that despite drawing a conclusion, they admit they can't draw any conclusions, because the chose the wrong control group.  :facepalm:

That's the sort of thing you have to watch out for when looking at "scientific" results.  

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Conversely, I'll quote the multiple studies that point out that - at a minimum - 30 million people have died from banning DDT.  (Some studies say 500 million...which is ridiculous.  Malaria is not worse than smallpox.)

11 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Sure.

Let me rephrase that. Are you all still wasting your time arguing about if a poison is poisonous? I should not have said we because I don't care. I don't even use sun screen or insect repellent because it might harm me. 

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Let me rephrase that. Are you all still wasting your time arguing about if a poison is poisonous? I should not have said we because I don't care. I don't even use sun screen or insect repellent because it might harm me. 

No.  I'm arguing the evidence says it's not even a poison.  And using it as an example of not just bad science, but a conspiracy theory.  

And I did actually find one person that died from DDT.  A suicide in the fifties who apparently ate about 20 lbs of the stuff.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

No.  I'm arguing the evidence says it's not even a poison.  And using it as an example of not just bad science, but a conspiracy theory.  

And I did actually find one person that died from DDT.  A suicide in the fifties who apparently ate about 20 lbs of the stuff.  

By definition it is a poison for bugs. Yes? The argument is whether it is a poison that kills people. Correct? Therefore my statement: "Let me rephrase that. Are you all still wasting your time arguing about if a poison is poisonous?" Correct? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

One of my favorite "Knowing what shit means" tests I got from Richard Feynman: show someone a French Curve, and tell them "It's specially designed so that when you hold it perpendicular to the ground, however you orient it, the lowest part of the curve is parallel with the ground."

Anyone who knows what calculus means says "Of course.  The derivative of the minimum of a curve is zero."  Most people, even those who have been taught calculus, don't realize that.

Most people are easier to filter out, though.  E.g. "Messenger RNA isn't natural!"

Even without using calculus and going into derivatives to get the velocity (were that same curve set on a graph showing distance traveled by an object vs time which at the point where the object changes direction the velocity will be 0) or 2nd derivative for acceleration, they can go to geometry and the tangent to the curve which at the minimum will be parallel to the x axis.

Nouseforaname

It’s not.  We’re mostly bags of water.

18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Sure.

Didn't die, but Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat did get a wicked concussion from it.

66utccb.gif

• Haha 3

Nouseforaname

Finally, proof!

main-qimg-44b2ae52ffb7635af3a081ec5ee08a

This must be an older model because i don’t see the spike protein launcher.

• Haha 1

Jabba The Hutt
23 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

23 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Here's the thing...you would imagine DDT is a neurotoxin and hepatotoxin at the very least. Therefore it would be a poison because it would damage your nervous system and liver...you limit your kidney/adrenal function or nerve function (neurotoxin) or liver function enough (hepatotoxin) and you die, simple as that.

Furthermore it would be carcinogenic because cellular degeneration leads to cancer. Something that degenerates the cells would also obviously be a poison.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

This must be an older model because i don’t see the spike protein launcher.

Chemtrails are made up of spike proteins.  WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!!

• Haha 1