Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Today I ...

Foxx

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 9:27 PM, Fansince88 said:

Not a huge JD fan. That said, when you need a part you will alway be able to get them. 

I don’t think John Deere is what they were years ago. They are living off their name. 

i have a friend who is into sub compact tractors, owns like 6 of them, he told me he thinks my model I had was the worst one John Deere ever produced. So I had no problem switching to spartan zero turn.

The big problem now with John Deere is if you want service they don’t want to deal with you, if they do they will rake you over the coals. They would fix mine because it was a subcompact and they could make decent money if I was willing to let them screw me. 

I had a friend who had a riding mower like the size you get from Lowe’s and they told him they wouldn’t even fix it because they were too busy fixing tractors. 

but I don’t think they are a bad machine especially if you can get a good deal one, especially going into a Lowe’s or Home Depot. The best thing they sell. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

Fansince88
4 hours ago, Pete said:

I don’t think John Deere is what they were years ago. They are living off their name. 

i have a friend who is into sub compact tractors, owns like 6 of them, he told me he thinks my model I had was the worst one John Deere ever produced. So I had no problem switching to spartan zero turn.

The big problem now with John Deere is if you want service they don’t want to deal with you, if they do they will take you over the coals. They would fix mine because it was a subcompact and they could make decent money if I was willing to let them screw me. 

i had a friend who had a riding mower like the size you get from Lowe’s and they told him they wouldn’t even fix it because they were too busy fixing tractors. 

but I don’t think they are a bad machine especially if you can get a good deal one, especially going into a Lowe’s or Home Depot. Prickly the best thing they sell. 

Dont confuse John Deere at the dealer and John Deere at the box stores. Thst is MTD. 

• Cheers 2

Taro T
6 hours ago, Pete said:

The big problem now with John Deere is if you want service they don’t want to deal with you, if they do they will take you over the coals. They would fix mine because it was a subcompact and they could make decent money if I was willing to let them screw me. 

i had a friend who had a riding mower like the size you get from Lowe’s and they told him they wouldn’t even fix it because they were too busy fixing tractors. 

but I don’t think they are a bad machine especially if you can get a good deal one, especially going into a Lowe’s or Home Depot. Prickly the best thing they sell. 

Why would you go to a dealer for any repair (that isn't under warranty)?

Find a good small engine mechanic near you for a lawn tractor.  It'll be a lot cheaper and pretty good chance the job will be done better, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Dont confuse John Deere at the dealer and John Deere at the box stores. Thst is MTD. 

Oh. That I did not know. I have only bought the one sub compact from the dealer I have not ever had an mtd.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Why would you go to a dealer for any repair (that isn't under warranty)?

Find a good small engine mechanic near you for a lawn tractor.  It'll be a lot cheaper and pretty good chance the job will be done better, too.

When I bought it in ‘99 they were locally owned and the service manager seemed like a good guy but over time, like everything they got worse. I learned to do all my own maintenance and even got into some repairs that were above my pay grade. But the wiring harness I did not want to tackle. So when they tried to kill me on price to repair that I had been thinking about going to a zero turn for a few years now. I just hadn’t because the tractor and mower were working fine plus I had a bucket on it I used to plow my driveway. 

i did a pretty fair amount of repairs on that and my other equipment I was thinking about doing a small engine repair and service out of my garage. I got to like fixing that kind of stuff.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 4

CarpetCrawler
3 hours ago, Pete said:

Oh. That I did not know. I have only bought the one sub compact from the dealer I have not ever had an mtd.

• Like 5

Taro T
17 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Will believe completely that MTD does not make John Deeres.  BUT also completely believe that the models sold at Home Depot or Lowes are in fact lower quality than the ones bought from a John Deere Dealer.  (Pretty sure in our area the official dealers are all Land Pro's now.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Will believe completely that MTD does not make John Deeres.  BUT also completely believe that the models sold at Home Depot or Lowes are in fact lower quality than the ones bought from a John Deere Dealer.  (Pretty sure in our area the official dealers are all Land Pro's now.)

That’s when they went down hill, when they became land pro. Closed up a bunch of other shops in the area that were John Deere dealers, jacked their prices up and basically ruined it. 

but why would John Deere make a decent model to sell at the dealer and model that is not up to par to sell at a store like Lowe’s? John Deere’s name is still on the mower. If it’s a cheaper model maybe. Do they just sell the cheap models at Lowe’s etc. and the better models at the dealer. I can’t see them making a good 4200 to sell at the dealer and a cheaper 4200 to sell at Lowe’s.

MothersMilk
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

100% true. Two completely different worlds. Everything is, for lack of better words, scaled down to the average Joe's need. I used to deal with mowers and the number 1 thing I can say to anyone with a zero turn or a standard riding mower is to get rid of the pneumatic front tires and switch to solid filled. That move will save you money, time, and hassle.

• Like 3

Fansince88
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Hmmmm, All I can say is about 15 years ago our place of business had a John Deere mower. We needed to replace the belt and I was looking for the model #. On the plate that had the model # it said proudly assembled  by MTD. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • O Rly 2

On 5/29/2024 at 9:00 PM, Fansince88 said:

Hmmmm, All I can say is about 15 years ago our place of business had a John Deere mower. We needed to replace the belt and I was looking for the model #. On the plate that had the model # it said proudly assembled  by MTD. 

Assembled by, and manufactured by, are not necessarily the same thing.

• Like 1

Fansince88
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Assembled by, and manufactured by, are not necessarily the same thing.

Very true. Like Harley Davidson. Assembled in USA but many of the pieces are built in Mexico.

Edited by Fansince88

Uncle Joe
52 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Very true. Like Harley Davidson. Assembled in USA but many of the pieces are built in Mexico.

Sadly, also like Boeing. 

devnull

Today I...

Was going thru some home networking logs and noticed several peculiar DNS requests from my Windows systems to...

collector.azure.eaglex.ic.gov

Browsed thru some Reddit's and this traffic started with the May update for Windows

Now why would Microsoft Windows devices be sending traffic to CISA :think:

• Wow 2

Ninety-4
24 minutes ago, devnull said:

Today I...

Was going thru some home networking logs and noticed several peculiar DNS requests from my Windows systems to...

collector.azure.eaglex.ic.gov

Browsed thru some Reddit's and this traffic started with the May update for Windows

Now why would Microsoft Windows devices be sending traffic to CISA :think:

That is frightening if true.  

• 2 weeks later...
Uncle Joe

Watched Welcome to Wrexham and googled men's "soccer brassiere"

Edited by Uncle Joe