Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Today I ...

Foxx

7 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

Today I did some reading about companies that protect one from identity theft.  Giving it some thought....

Anyone here have identity theft protection, e.g. LifeLock, etc

There is always a risk. However, practicing safe browsing habits and knowing what phishing looks like can and will go a long way to lending protection. 

Same goes for your phone. Never, ever give anybody personal information unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you trust them. Even then, I probably wouldn't give a cold caller anything they wanted. 

Keukasmallie

Today I am trying to find a way to remove the dried pine sap white spots from my Trex deck.

Anyone have some suggestions....?

Edited by Keukasmallie
desperate
  • Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

Today I spent most of the day in the ER with a kidney stone.

My thirtieth.  One a year, every August since 1994.

Yep, that's right.  EVERY AUGUST.  The general consensus in the ER was "Well, that's just the weirdest &#%$ing thing we've ever heard of."

• Sad 3
  • Doh! 2
  • Cheers 1

Fansince88
On 8/16/2024 at 4:04 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Today I spent most of the day in the ER with a kidney stone.

My thirtieth.  One a year, every August since 1994.

Yep, that's right.  EVERY AUGUST.  The general consensus in the ER was "Well, that's just the weirdest &#%$ing thing we've ever heard of."

What type of stone? Different types require different plans to keep them from returning. How does your diet change if it changes at all in July and August? 

Fansince88

Today I learned from my daughter who is home for another week because her husband is in Germany for training in the Airforce that they are expecting our second grandchild. Pretty stoked. Dont say anything though because they have not told anyone but us because she took a test yesterday.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • FANtastic 1
  • Love 1

Keukasmallie

Today I watched the property owner next door (in no way is he a neighbor) put a ReoLink security camera inside his compound (cinderblock structure in driveway, chain across his driveway, No Trespassing and Private Property  signs, plastic traffic barriers separating our properties, etc.),  How do I determine whether or not he can surveil my property?

12 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

Today I watched the property owner next door (in no way is he a neighbor) put a ReoLink security camera inside his compound (cinderblock structure in driveway, chain across his driveway, No Trespassing and Private Property  signs, plastic traffic barriers separating our properties, etc.),  How do I determine whether or not he can surveil my property?

Put a couple of signs up on your property aimed towards his stating "my neighbor is a friggin' loon."  If they get torn down, he can and does surveil your property.  😉 

• Applause 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 8/17/2024 at 10:56 PM, Keukasmallie said:

Guessing you're not borrowing his belt sander any time soon?

• Applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
Fansince88

Took our third annual ride on the motorcycles around the Adirondacks. Started with couple friends meeting at my house. We then rode up to Gouverneur to pick up the last of the crew. 5 of us together rode from there to Star Lake and fueled up. Our circle from there was Cranberry Lake, Tupper Lake, around to RT30 to Long lake, Inlet, and Old Forge. Finally up the windy Moose River Road to Port Lyden on 26 to Lowville where all the flooding was this year and back home. Road with a friend from Jersey for the 2nd year. He a friend we rode with and myself graduated in 88 together. Was good to get together. Had a blast.  Few pics of the trip. Friend is throwing together a youtube vid I will share when he has it done. 

Resized_20240901_122335_1725214391472.jpg

Resized_20240901_113613_1725214421705.jpg

Resized_20240901_122319_1725214402939.jpg

20240901_113717.jpg

20240901_113515.jpg

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Took our third annual ride on the motorcycles around the Adirondacks. Started with couple friends meeting at my house. We then rode up to Gouverneur to pick up the last of the crew. 5 of us together rode from there to Star Lake and fueled up. Our circle from there was Cranberry Lake, Tupper Lake, around to RT30 to Long lake, Inlet, and Old Forge. Finally up the windy Moose River Road to Port Lyden on 26 to Lowville where all the flooding was this year and back home. Road with a friend from Jersey for the 2nd year. He a friend we rode with and myself graduated in 88 together. Was good to get together. Had a blast.  Few pics of the trip. Friend is throwing together a youtube vid I will share when he has it done. 

20240901_113717.jpg

20240901_113515.jpg

Spent a couple summer vacations in Inlet.  I love it there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

20240901_113717.jpg

20240901_113515.jpg

Graduated in '88 from HS or college?

Fansince88
10 hours ago, snafu said:

Spent a couple summer vacations in Inlet.  I love it there. 

Yes, beautiful area. Did you stay at the state park or cabin? We stayed at the State Park and had a bear encounter. Kids were just like 4 and 9. When I saw the bear they ran to it to see it. Photos above are the front side and back side of Long Lake. It was a beautiful day until about 8 miles from my house where it poured. We got soaked. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Cheers 2

Fansince88
8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Graduated in '88 from HS or college?

High School. Started full time where I am still at in '89 Married in '91.  Never did the college thing. Hated school. Now that I am older and watched so many youth my wife and I mentored in youth ministries and seen them go to college or university and saw how it changed them I'm glad I didn't. Its a different world there now. You really have to be strong with your values. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Yes, beautiful area. Did you stay at the state park or cabin? We stayed at the State Park and had a bear encounter. Kids were just like 4 and 9. When I saw the bear they ran to it to see it. Photos above are the front side and back side of Long Lake. It was a beautiful day until about 8 miles from my house where it poured. We got soaked. 

We rented a run-down dump of a house which was a short walk out of Inlet.  We had two of our kids at the time and my sister and her husband drove over from Buffalo with their two kids and we all spent the week together.  We had such a good time that we went back to the same dump house the next summer.  We’d boat and fish and tube out all over Fourth Lake all the way to Old Forge. Hiked and biked, a bit, too.  Inlet has/had a library, a movie theatre and an ice cream shop for rainy days.  The “beach” at Inlet was great, too.  And back then there was no cell phone service, so it was an actual, honest-to-goodness vacation from home and work.

I’d do another trip up there, but not at the same place.  Be better off camping, except for rainy days.  I’d be surprised if that house is still standing.  It’s funny because my wife and I were just having a laugh about that place a few days ago.  The kitchen was well-used, vintage 1964.  We cooked or prepped every meal in it.  Played cards at the kitchen table every night.  The couch could have been salvaged from someone’s trash.  It was a place like that.  And we liked Inlet so much that the house was no big deal.

• Like 1

Fansince88
5 minutes ago, snafu said:

We rented a run-down dump of a house which was a short walk out of Inlet.  We had two of our kids at the time and my sister and her husband drove over from Buffalo with their two kids and we all spent the week together.  We had such a good time that we went back to the same dump house the next summer.  We’d boat and fish and tube out all over Fourth Lake all the way to Old Forge. Hiked and biked, a bit, too.  Inlet has/had a library, a movie theatre and an ice cream shop for rainy days.  The “beach” at Inlet was great, too.  And back then there was no cell phone service, so it was an actual, honest-to-goodness vacation from home and work.

I’d do another trip up there, but not at the same place.  Be better off camping, except for rainy days.  I’d be surprised if that house is still standing.  It’s funny because my wife and I were just having a laugh about that place a few days ago.  The kitchen was well-used, vintage 1964.  We cooked or prepped every meal in it.  Played cards at the kitchen table every night.  The couch could have been salvaged from someone’s trash.  It was a place like that.  And we liked Inlet so much that the house was no big deal.

Our family camp on Higley Flow in Colton is very rustic. We will soon own half with my wife's brother. Her parents are in their late 80s and just cant enjoy it anymore. Not an ideal situation as I have aspirations of upgrading it and he is lazy. I will be doing the work. Would love to buy his half out but he wont sell. Has been in my wifes family since 1950s so there is a lot of personal value to it for her. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

20240901_113717.jpg

20240901_113515.jpg

Family vacations when I was young were at Rollins Pond.  Nice area.  Learned to sit in a rowboat and not catch any fish on Tupper Lake.

• Like 2

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Family vacations when I was young were at Rollins Pond.  Nice area.  Learned to sit in a rowboat and not catch any fish on Tupper Lake.

Rollins Pond is a great spot. As far as camping goes it is more secluded. There is a first SP you have to drive through to get to Rollins Pond. We tent camped there once and ended up in a torrential downpour in a thunder and lightning storm. Our retriever mix hated lightning and breathed in my face all night long. Other than that we had a great time.

• Like 2

... had my dog break free from his collar (we had a contractor that's his buddy back for the final punch list items and he knew the guy didn't come inside the house, though this time that's where he was going; so the dog did NOT want to come inside) and then make a bee line for his truck.  Annoying, but no big issue, and tried to get our car door open to have him hop in and get his collar back on.  But then he ran down our long driveway and headed for the mailbox.  Nearly caught up to him, but upon getting about 10 yards away from him, he decides to walk across the street towards the neighbor's yard.  Which would not have been a big deal except he chose the exact time that a car was going down the road to do so.

Needless to say, their 2 vectors intersected.  Fortunately, today's cars are so low to the road that rather than end up under the car, the dog got pushed a foot or 2 (the car NEARLY stopped in time) and then spun into the other lane.  He then made a bee-line back to driveway and then our house.

We got crazy lucky.  Nothing is broken and he doesn't seem to have any internal bleeding.  But there are only 2 emergency / urgent care vets still in Ra-cha-cha and our vets couldn't see him for about 5 hours.  So, off to Orchard Park it was.  The emergency vets there are incredible.  (Pricey, but incredible.)

Dog is now sleeping on my leg with about 10 sutures in his back paws and a couple in his face.  And a whole lot of road rash around his legs.  But it could've been so much worse.

Happened over 12 hours ago and am still running on adrenaline.  Had never thought about it, but the way today's sedans and coups are so low to the road, am certain 1,000's (if not millions) of critters have been saved by not ending up under the car and having the car lose parts even in a very low impact collision.  So glad it wasn't an SUV or a truck.  Would've saved a lot of money, but would've had to dig a hole and would be just as wound up but not nearly in as much of a good way.

• Sad 4
  • Wow 2
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

... had my dog break free from his collar (we had a contractor that's his buddy back for the final punch list items and he knew the guy didn't come inside the house, though this time that's where he was going; so the dog did NOT want to come inside) and then make a bee line for his truck.  Annoying, but no big issue, and tried to get our car door open to have him hop in and get his collar back on.  But then he ran down our long driveway and headed for the mailbox.  Nearly caught up to him, but upon getting about 10 yards away from him, he decides to walk across the street towards the neighbor's yard.  Which would not have been a big deal except he chose the exact time that a car was going down the road to do so.

Needless to say, their 2 vectors intersected.  Fortunately, today's cars are so low to the road that rather than end up under the car, the dog got pushed a foot or 2 (the car NEARLY stopped in time) and then spun into the other lane.  He then made a bee-line back to driveway and then our house.

We got crazy lucky.  Nothing is broken and he doesn't seem to have any internal bleeding.  But there are only 2 emergency / urgent care vets still in Ra-cha-cha and our vets couldn't see him for about 5 hours.  So, off to Orchard Park it was.  The emergency vets there are incredible.  (Pricey, but incredible.)

Dog is now sleeping on my leg with about 10 sutures in his back paws and a couple in his face.  And a whole lot of road rash around his legs.  But it could've been so much worse.

Happened over 12 hours ago and am still running on adrenaline.  Had never thought about it, but the way today's sedans and coups are so low to the road, am certain 1,000's (if not millions) of critters have been saved by not ending up under the car and having the car lose parts even in a very low impact collision.  So glad it wasn't an SUV or a truck.  Would've saved a lot of money, but would've had to dig a hole and would be just as wound up but not nearly in as much of a good way.

Glad to hear your pup is otherwise okay.

Back when I was young and we lived mostly rural, our lab was allowed out with no chain. He loved to chase passing cars. Well, as was to be expected, he got hit one day. Took him to the vet and they amputated one of his front legs. We were grateful that he was saved, it didn't matter that he only had three legs and hopped around when walking. After he was fully healed, he still chased cars and damned if he wasn't just as fast on three legs. You'd never know he only had three when running. Bashful was a great pup!

• Like 4
  • Love 1