Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Is McDermott the HC for the future???

SquirminThurman

57 minutes ago, Fig Newton said:

I think we can call Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow circumstances. More then one good QB in the league Ann. Elite Josh Allen doesn't give us a free pass to the big dance. Ask Herbert and the Chargers. Mahomes is teamed up with the best Offensive guru in the league. Ken Dorsey never stood a chance.

Does Joe Brady you might ask?

Ask me tomorrow evening after the game Ann. 

I just want to say that I appreciate the back and forth in this thread.  No one is jumping to hard and fast conclusions.  You can have an honest dialogue.  On the other forum I visited, you can smell the tar and feathers from your computer screen.  Folks are questioning the veracity of existing players backing McD in the Buffalo News interviews, yet accept as gospel the word of former coaches and players who hide under the guise of anonimity.  I've liked McD as a head coach...but this year his abilities have been admittedly called into question.  The 9/11 reference he used is mind boggling.  (I might have gone with Seal Team 6 and their hunt for Bin Laden.)  He admitted it, apologized for it and now has to deal with it again...with more apologies.  McD may well deserve criticism for his failures on defense and in game management, but attacking his character is below the belt and IMO Dunne's agenda is quite transparent.

So...if the team wins out and makes the playoffs, potentially even taking the division, I will cheer and hope that in those wins we see a HC who coaches boldly and not scared. We'll see.

• Like 5
  • Cheers 3

On 12/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, Ninety-4 said:

I think the conclusion is that the Bills can replace McD with Jeff Saturday and win the super bowl next year.  

Personally, I think the reasonable conclusion is that McDermott is not adding to the likelihood they reach a Super Bowl, which makes it much less likely it happens.

When teams have a dominant QB and a great coach, it tends to matter in the playoffs, as a review of SB champs shows.

That doesn’t mean they can plug in anyone, it just means they need an upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

There is a good chance we'll find out today whether or not the team has Sean's back.

I was just thinking this; the season was already on the brink before the McDermott mess.  The difference in narrative if they win vs lay an egg will be huge.  If it’s the later, get ready for a month of ‘on the hot seat’ articles.

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

There is a good chance we'll find out today whether or not the team has Sean's back.

To tank, they've have to take Tyler Dunne seriously.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I was just thinking this; the season was already on the brink before the McDermott mess.  The difference in narrative if they win vs lay an egg will be huge.  If it’s the later, get ready for a month of ‘on the hot seat’ articles.

I think they rally behind Sean.

I also think we stood a good chance to beat the Chiefs before Dunne's axe grind.

• Cheers 1

Concerning the last 6-7 replies. I don't think the team really considers the Dunne report a real concern. In fact in front of the media they are "Oh we are so sorry" but in the office they are saying, Damn Dorcey sure holds a grudge. I'm convinced he is Mr. Anonymous because he is butt hurt. His smashing the tablet shows he doesn't handle things too well.  I also think the players are in the " well that is stupid" mindset as well. The only fans that are awestruck by how awful it is are those fans that think McD is the issue and want him gone. 

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Concerning the last 6-7 replies. I don't think the team really considers the Dunne report a real concern. In fact in front of the media they are "Oh we are so sorry" but in the office they are saying, Damn Dorcey sure holds a grudge. I'm convinced he is Mr. Anonymous because he is butt hurt. His smashing the tablet shows he doesn't handle things too well.  I also think the players are in the " well that is stupid" mindset as well. The only fans that are awestruck by how awful it is are those fans that think McD is the issue and want him gone. 

Yes, although I have no problem with smashing a tablet or expressing emotion.  Years ago we had a guy at work that was a very high performing senior product manager that would go nuts over losing certain deals.  He'd smash his office phone which he did several times.   IT would just bring him another one.  Never was he punished in any way. It was hilarious.  In the 8 orgs in which I've worked since college, most of which were successful and in some cases market leaders, there are always people that are unhappy or disagree with strategy.  Add to that, personalities that clashed.  I can also recall people that wanted Marv Levy gone after losing a couple Super Bowls.  One damn field goal probably would have changed that.  

McD is gonna make himself and his staff either more or less secure by the end of the season.  All this noise will either grow or diminish.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Yes, although I have no problem with smashing a tablet or expressing emotion.  Years ago we had a guy at work that was a very high performing senior product manager that would go nuts over losing certain deals.  He'd smash his office phone which he did several times.

I started my work career in The Bell System. Loved the old film of Western Electric testing the old analog phones by having a machine continuously slamming down the receiver. You would see the phone slam in a lot of old movies.

• Like 1

Coach get a B- for his Bills career. 

He almost blew the Chiefs game in the last 2½ minutes. Clock work! He should have had running plays with a running clock! Passing the ball not only can stop the clock (which it did), but pose an interception result. KC should have NEVER had a chance to repossess the ball. The coach gets  C+ for this game. The extra plus was for the victory. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Seppe said:

He almost blew the Chiefs game in the last 2½ minutes. Clock work! He should have had running plays with a running clock! Passing the ball not only can stop the clock (which it did), but pose an interception result. KC should have NEVER had a chance to repossess the ball. The coach gets  C+ for this game. The extra plus was for the victory. 

A C+, defeating the AFCW division leaders and current defending Super Bowl Champs? That seems like a tough scale you've got there...

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Seppe said:

If Diggs doesn't drop that screen it might have been a different story.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Seppe said:

Those calls come in from the OC. Not the Head coach that is also running the D. I agree on the Clock needs to keep running from the running game. Disagree who is to blame.

• Like 1