Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Is McDermott the HC for the future???

SquirminThurman

ComradeKayAdams

You guys might find this interesting…

At this very moment, 16 NFL teams are above 0.500: the Dolphins, Bills, Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Jaguars, Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Vikings, and 49ers.

And 16 NFL teams are currently below 0.500: the Jets, Patriots, Titans, Raiders, Chargers, Giants, Commanders, Packers, Bears, Falcons, Saints, Buccaneers, Panthers, Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals.

Also at this very moment, exactly 16 NFL teams have head coaches whose football coaching background is primarily on the offensive side of the ball: the Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, Jaguars, Colts, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Lions, Vikings, Packers, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams.

And of course, 16 NFL teams therefore have head coaches whose football coaching background is primarily on defense or on special teams: the Bills, Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Titans, Raiders, Chargers, Commanders, Bears, Saints, Buccaneers, Panthers, Seahawks, and Cardinals.

When we compare these lists, we find only 4 teams with offensive-minded head coaches and losing records: the Giants, Packers, Falcons, and Rams! Conversely, we see only 3 teams with defensive-minded head coaches and winning records: the Bills, Steelers, and Texans (John Harbaugh of the Ravens is the only special teams guy with a winning record)!

So what should we make of this information, in relation to Sean McDermott’s job security?? In my opinion, it highlights the continuing trend (since 1977, really) of the league moving toward rules that heavily favor the offense. If you are a team lucky enough to have a franchise QB, it’s probably optimal and most stable for your franchise to have your head coach as essentially the chief offensive coordinator. Some might say that it would be a football tragedy for Buffalo not to optimize arguably the most physically gifted QB in NFL history while he is still in his prime! That’s why we should be looking closely at OC’s like Joe Brady and Detroit’s Ben Johnson to evaluate their HC potential, in terms of both schematics and personality. The Bills would be a prime destination in the head coach market, given a 27-year-old Josh Allen as QB and a reputable Brandon Beane as GM, along with stable ownership and a new stadium in 2026 and a fanbase capable of taking over away games.

What we’re working against is a deeply entrenched conservative football philosophy** within both the Bills franchise and among its fanbase. John Rauch was probably the only hot-on-the-market, innovative, offensive-minded head coach hired in the entire 64-year history of the Buffalo Bills. But that was way back in 1969! Rauch infamously wasted OJ Simpson’s first two seasons, which has apparently scarred ownership and management and the fanbase ever since (lol). My historical analogy of choice is what Mike Shanahan did for John Elway that Dan Reeves couldn’t. It’s the difference between innovation and culture, which in our specific circumstance might translate to the difference between excellence and competence.

Coach McDermott has a lot to prove over the next two months. With an AFC much weaker than anyone initially expected, I might even suggest a Super Bowl appearance be the standard we should hold for him keeping his job. At absolute bare minimum, perhaps it should be a repeat divisional round appearance??

Having said all that, I want to be clear that I’m speaking strictly on Coach McDermott’s questionable game management abilities. I have no issues with his character or with anything else that was covered in Tyler Dunne’s gross hit piece. Hopefully Sean McDermott proves me and all the other doubters wrong! I will also at least give him credit for being the most successful defensive-minded head coach in the league right now! His legacy in Bills history, of course, is secure for lifting our beloved franchise out of the Drought Era doldrums.

** Note: When I say “conservative football philosophy,” I suppose I’m simultaneously referring to two distinct concepts. The first is a strong aversion to major structural change that would lead to an unknown future. We Buffalonians, after all, do tend to have low sports self-esteem and always fear the worst…sometimes to the point of decisional paralysis! The second is a commitment to the classic “three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust” power running game, simple passing game (and running game!) concepts, overly cautious play calling, and an emphasis on strong complimentary football via defense and special teams.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

At this very moment, 16 NFL teams are above 0.500: the Dolphins, Bills, Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Jaguars, Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Vikings, and 49ers.

And 16 NFL teams are currently below 0.500: the Jets, Patriots, Titans, Raiders, Chargers, Giants, Commanders, Packers, Bears, Falcons, Saints, Buccaneers, Panthers, Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals.

Also at this very moment, exactly 16 NFL teams have head coaches whose football coaching background is primarily on the offensive side of the ball: the Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, Jaguars, Colts, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Lions, Vikings, Packers, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams.

And of course, 16 NFL teams therefore have head coaches whose football coaching background is primarily on defense or on special teams: the Bills, Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Titans, Raiders, Chargers, Commanders, Bears, Saints, Buccaneers, Panthers, Seahawks, and Cardinals.

When we compare these lists, we find only 4 teams with offensive-minded head coaches and losing records: the Giants, Packers, Falcons, and Rams! Conversely, we see only 3 teams with defensive-minded head coaches and winning records: the Bills, Steelers, and Texans (John Harbaugh of the Ravens is the only special teams guy with a winning record)!

So what should we make of this information, in relation to Sean McDermott’s job security?? In my opinion, it highlights the continuing trend (since 1977, really) of the league moving toward rules that heavily favor the offense. If you are a team lucky enough to have a franchise QB, it’s probably optimal and most stable for your franchise to have your head coach as essentially the chief offensive coordinator. Some might say that it would be a football tragedy for Buffalo not to optimize arguably the most physically gifted QB in NFL history while he is still in his prime! That’s why we should be looking closely at OC’s like Joe Brady and Detroit’s Ben Johnson to evaluate their HC potential, in terms of both schematics and personality. The Bills would be a prime destination in the head coach market, given a 27-year-old Josh Allen as QB and a reputable Brandon Beane as GM, along with stable ownership and a new stadium in 2026 and a fanbase capable of taking over away games.

What we’re working against is a deeply entrenched conservative football philosophy** within both the Bills franchise and among its fanbase. John Rauch was probably the only hot-on-the-market, innovative, offensive-minded head coach hired in the entire 64-year history of the Buffalo Bills. But that was way back in 1969! Rauch infamously wasted OJ Simpson’s first two seasons, which has apparently scarred ownership and management and the fanbase ever since (lol). My historical analogy of choice is what Mike Shanahan did for John Elway that Dan Reeves couldn’t. It’s the difference between innovation and culture, which in our specific circumstance might translate to the difference between excellence and competence.

Coach McDermott has a lot to prove over the next two months. With an AFC much weaker than anyone initially expected, I might even suggest a Super Bowl appearance be the standard we should hold for him keeping his job. At absolute bare minimum, perhaps it should be a repeat divisional round appearance??

Having said all that, I want to be clear that I’m speaking strictly on Coach McDermott’s questionable game management abilities. I have no issues with his character or with anything else that was covered in Tyler Dunne’s gross hit piece. Hopefully Sean McDermott proves me and all the other doubters wrong! I will also at least give him credit for being the most successful defensive-minded head coach in the league right now! His legacy in Bills history, of course, is secure for lifting our beloved franchise out of the Drought Era doldrums.

** Note: When I say “conservative football philosophy,” I suppose I’m simultaneously referring to two distinct concepts. The first is a strong aversion to major structural change that would lead to an unknown future. We Buffalonians, after all, do tend to have low sports self-esteem and always fear the worst…sometimes to the point of decisional paralysis! The second is a commitment to the classic “three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust” power running game, simple passing game (and running game!) concepts, overly cautious play calling, and an emphasis on strong complimentary football via defense and special teams.

Very well said Kay, and pretty much where I am at. Interesting the numbers you put together.

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I agree with your premise, but using John Rausch as an example sort of cuts against what you're trying to say. The next guy might waste Allen.

I also think that if Daboll didn't leave we might be having a different conversation.  Replacing McDermott with an offense-minded HC might be the thing to do, but the way the Coaching philosophies have been distributed (especially with Daboll  -- and even to some extent with Dorsey and now Brady) didn't lead to a failure of the offense. It was and remains a late-game defense problem.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

ComradeKayAdams
23 hours ago, snafu said:

I agree with your premise, but using John Rausch as an example sort of cuts against what you're trying to say. The next guy might waste Allen.

I also think that if Daboll didn't leave we might be having a different conversation.  Replacing McDermott with an offense-minded HC might be the thing to do, but the way the Coaching philosophies have been distributed (especially with Daboll  -- and even to some extent with Dorsey and now Brady) didn't lead to a failure of the offense. It was and remains a late-game defense problem.

One of my arguments, though, was to not be afraid of change because of any singular instance we can point to where change didn’t work. It’s all about smart risk assessment. Rauch is a great historical example of how evaluating a head coach’s personality is just as important as evaluating his football acumen (back then, actually, Ralph Wilson was a much bigger impediment to success on the football field than anything Rauch ever did or didn’t do).

It's also important to remember that Sean McDermott’s late-game defensive play calling hasn’t been the team’s only problem. The offense has had major stalling issues during weeks 5-10 this season, after the bye week last season, and during the middle portion of the 2021 season. My theory on the root cause behind all this stalling is a low attentiveness to the running game: poorly designed run plays, poor timing of when to call run plays, not calling enough run plays in general, and then doing a poor job of concealing run play intentions based on personnel and pre-snap formations. Not all the blame here goes to the offensive coordinators; an offensive-minded head coach in his seventh year might have quickly addressed such issues a long time ago.

However…I do want to give Coach McDermott credit for making the difficult decision to fire Dorsey and for promoting a new OC who (at least initially) appears much more aware of Cook’s unique skill set and more capable of implementing an effective run game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

SquirminThurman

So I started this thread. Things were looking pretty bleak.

I have to give credit to coach McDermott. His team clearly has not quit on him. I think some guys may have quit, and they need to be sorted out. The 'no name' guys on this team, still love this guy and have played with their hair on fire the last three games.

To review:

Took Eagles to OT in Philly. Typical McDermott team crapped the bed late and in OT... rumors start... fans displeased...felt like the movie Ground Hogs Day....

Bye Week was a mess, but something snapped in the bye week. I have no idea what was said or done, but...

Won a squeaker in KC, McDermott played tight defense and ATTACKED on Defense late in the game. Good man.

Today, just a clinic. Running the ball is a good thing.... let me know if I said this before. Attacking with defense is also good.

The past 2 weeks I think of Marv Levy and his willingness to reference and quote historical figures and situations. Ferdinand Foch 'Marshal of France, a military theorist and the Allied Supreme Allied Commander during the final year of the First World War' is quoted by saying:

'My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, excellent situation, I will attack.'

Way to rally the team coach.... Keep attacking...

Maybe, just maybe he has learned his lesson...

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

So I started this thread. Things were looking pretty bleak.

I have to give credit to coach McDermott. His team clearly has not quit on him. I think some guys may have quit, and they need to be sorted out. The 'no name' guys on this team, still love this guy and have played with their hair on fire the last three games.

To review:

Took Eagles to OT in Philly. Typical McDermott team crapped the bed late and in OT... rumors start... fans displeased...felt like the movie Ground Hogs Day....

Bye Week was a mess, but something snapped in the bye week. I have no idea what was said or done, but...

Won a squeaker in KC, McDermott played tight defense and ATTACKED on Defense late in the game. Good man.

Today, just a clinic. Running the ball is a good thing.... let me know if I said this before. Attacking with defense is also good.

The past 2 weeks I think of Marv Levy and his willingness to reference and quote historical figures and situations. Ferdinand Foch 'Marshal of France, a military theorist and the Allied Supreme Allied Commander during the final year of the First World War is quoted by saying:

'My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, excellent situation, I will attack.'

Way to rally team.... Keep attacking...

Maybe, just maybe he has learned his lesson...

We may have needed to have the apple cart upset for the team to be woken out of their slumber.

I said at the beginning of the year, that due to how the previous year started and ended, I would much prefer the opposite this year. While it hasn't exactly played out that way, it does appear that thanks to the in season controversy, we are now hitting our stride. And that is okay with me.

Maybe, just maybe, that controversy has positioned McDermott as, not only the coach to get us out of the drought, but to get us to the promised land. We have to hope it is anyways.

• Like 6

SquirminThurman
7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

We may have needed to have the apple cart upset for the team to be woken out of their slumber.

I said at the beginning of the year, that due to how the previous year started and ended, I would much prefer the opposite this year. While it hasn't exactly played out that way, it does appear that thanks to the in season controversy, we are now hitting our stride. And that is okay with me.

Maybe, just maybe, that controversy has positioned McDermott as, not only the coach to get us out of the drought, but to get us to the promised land. We can hope anyways.

I needed to see a philosophical change to Billieve again in McDermott. Too many late game heart breaking losses. He was not learning from prior losses.

I saw a change last week vs KC last week. I saw it again today.

Buffalo played attacking football for 60 minutes against both teams, and they won both games. They set the pace, they punched, they attacked for 60 minutes (ok 50 vs Dallas, but the game was over).

Keep attacking. I like it. I'd rather see my team lose while attacking, than play back and safe.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

needed to see a philosophical change to Billieve again in McDermott. Too many late game heart breaking losses. He was not learning from prior losses.

I saw a stat on McD's late season record during the game today and it was impressive,

I am with you tho, I am so done with prevent defense.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
1 minute ago, Uncle Joe said:

I saw a stat on McD's late season record during the game today and it was impressive,

I am with you tho, I am so done with prevent defense.

before KC he was 17-17 in one score games.

1-6 in OT

0-6 with JA in OT

Those are the ugly stats I was aware of.

I hope McDermott has learned and will attack from now on.

• Like 4

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/nate-davis/2023/12/17/nfl-takeaways-bills-playoffs-cowboys-week-15/71953794007/

if it wasn’t for the REFS 💩

It would be 4. 

Stampede coming? The Buffalo Bills have now won three of four since firing offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey and are averaging 29.3 points in that stretch following Sunday's 31-10 rollover of the Dallas Cowboys, a beatdown that knocked "America's Team" out of first place in the NFC East.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Shady said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/nate-davis/2023/12/17/nfl-takeaways-bills-playoffs-cowboys-week-15/71953794007/

if it wasn’t for the REFS 💩

It would be 4. 

Stampede coming? The Buffalo Bills have now won three of four since firing offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey and are averaging 29.3 points in that stretch following Sunday's 31-10 rollover of the Dallas Cowboys, a beatdown that knocked "America's Team" out of first place in the NFC East.

Ty Johnson is a pleasant surprise.  Good speed and runs with some power and attitude.   Cook must have frustrated the crap out of the Cowboys with his cuts and quickness.  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Ann said:

With tonight’s win, this is McDermott’s sixth winning season in his seven years of coaching the Bills.

It was a trap game where we managed to eke out a win. Not the best scenario under this heading, but there are still two more games to the season. I would much prefer us not play down to the competition.

• Like 5

crawhammer

What's the word in Buffalo... is McDermott coaching for his job this weekend?

Regarding the Bills offense, it hasn't looked right for most of the season. Allen's been disappointing, Diggs is having his worst season in a Bills uniform, and I keep waiting for Davis to reach that next level and it keeps not happening. However, overall they're a top 6 offense in scoring and yards, which has firmly been the case for the last 4 seasons. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to the 1998 season to find a top 6 in either scoring or yards. Yikes. 

The offense was rock solid last season under Ken Dorsey. Has the switch over to Joe Brady had much of an impact? Seems not really. But again, the offense is objectively productive, which in part may just be the perseverance of the raw talent there.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

What's the word in Buffalo... is McDermott coaching for his job this weekend?

Regarding the Bills offense, it hasn't looked right for most of the season. Allen's been disappointing, Diggs is having his worst season in a Bills uniform, and I keep waiting for Davis to reach that next level and it keeps not happening. However, overall they're a top 6 offense in scoring and yards, which has firmly been the case for the last 4 seasons. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to the 1998 season to find a top 6 in either scoring or yards. Yikes. 

The offense was rock solid last season under Ken Dorsey. Has the switch over to Joe Brady had much of an impact? Seems not really. But again, the offense is objectively productive, which in part may just be the perseverance of the raw talent there.  

I would actually dispute that.  The offense last season was showing some of the same deficiencies in execution and creativity that we see this year.  It seems this year they either got worse or more exploitable.

But I definitely wouldn't say the offense was "rock solid" last year.

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
6 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I would actually dispute that.  The offense last season was showing some of the same deficiencies in execution and creativity that we see this year.  It seems this year they either got worse or more exploitable.

But I definitely wouldn't say the offense was "rock solid" last year.

As Mohamad atta used to always say, you just need to win no matter the cost.