Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Is McDermott the HC for the future???

SquirminThurman

Nouseforaname
10 minutes ago, Ann said:

I was ready for him to stick around based on how he rallied the team to get the second seed but that playoff game was a debacle.  

Alaska Darin
6 hours ago, Ann said:

I'll give him a pass for this game because of the injuries.  It's not much different than when the Chiefs got smoked by the Bucs in the SB because they lost both their tackles.  More often than not it's about the players than it is about the schemes.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Rochesterny

As I think about the question was reflecting all of the bills coaches over the years the Bills had the following winning coaches are 

1) Marv Levy

2) Sean McDermott 

3) Wade Phillips

4) Chuck Knox - barely

Even though have some doubts about coaching staff can’t argue with results.

But at some point this organization will need to get over the hump get in and then win Super Bowl. Question in my mind can McDermott coach a team to break that barrier ? That is the question in my mind.

Buffalo Bills head coach record

Coach Years Record Win percentage Playoff record
Sean McDermott 2017-2023 73-41-0 64.0% 5-6
Rex Ryan 2015-2016 15-16-0 48.4% 0-0
Doug Marrone 2013-2014 15-17-0 46.9% 0-0
Chan Gailey 2010-2012 16-32-0 33.3% 0-0
Dick Jauron 2006-2009 24-33-0 42.1% 0-0
Mike Mularkey 2004-2005 14-18-0 43.8% 0-0
Gregg Williams 2001-2003 17-31-0 35.4% 0-0
Wade Phillips 1998-2000 29-19-0 60.4% 0-2
Marv Levy 1987-1997 110-65-0 62.9% 11-8
Hank Bullough 1986 4-12-0 25.0% 0-0
Kay Stephenson 1983-1985 12-36-0 25.0% 0-0
Chuck Knox 1978-1982 37-36-0 50.7% 1-2
Jim Ringo 1977 3-11-0 21.4% 0-0
Lou Saban 1962-1965, 1972-1976 68-54-4 55.6% 2-2
Harvey Johnson 1971 1-13-0 7.1% 0-0
John Rauch 1969-1970 7-20-1 26.8% 0-0
Joe Collier 1966-1968 14-26-2 35.7% 0-1
Buster Ramsey 1960-1961

11-16-1

Edited by Rochesterny
  • Like 1

crawhammer
19 hours ago, Ann said:

That's pretty lame on Beane's part bringing up the injuries. Every team deals with injuries every season. Brady pulled off that 28-3 comeback without Gronk and threw for 505 in the next SB without Edelman. Great players find a way to persevere. Allen connects with Shakir on that would be TD pass or Diggs catches that football that went right through both his hands then it's probable they're still playing this weekend.

Dobbins didn't make it through week 1 and then the Ravens lost another RB (Mitchell) who was averaging 8.4 yards per attempt. They're featuring their third RB now in a run dependent offense (1st in rush attempts and 30th in pass attempts). 

Injuries are only an excuse when they reach catastrophic levels like the 49ers being down their QB1, 2, 3 & 4 in the 2022 NFCCG.   

McDermott has had 7 seasons (6 with a generational talent at QB... or 4 if you want to only count the elite-ish seasons). McDermott is 5-6 in the postseason with two soul-crushing losses and one inexplicable no show (vs the Bengals). 0-3 vs the Chiefs now, which will be incredible baggage heading into the next postseason matchup. I'd fire McDermott (and Joe Brady) and turn to a fresh mindset heading into the 2024 season. Find an offensive-minded head coach to help Allen get to that next level (of seriously competing for championships). 

The entire AFC is in a tough spot for the next decade with Mahomes around (he's the new Tom Brady) but now the Bills are probably looking up at the Ravens with Lamar (as well as already the Bengals with Burrow). And we'll see if Miami can upgrade to a QB with a better than weak arm to lead that high flying offense. So the Bills spinning their wheels with McDermott for another 1-3 seasons seems unwise. 

• Like 1
  • clown 1

8 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

Injuries are only an excuse when they reach catastrophic levels like the 49ers being down their QB1, 2, 3 & 4 in the 2022 NFCCG.

How about CB 1, 3,  LB 1, 2, 3 (they got a guy off the sofa for the playoffs) S 3, DT?

The linebackers being hurt was the thing. McDermott even mentioned he'd never coached a game with only three linebackers available. Beane said they probably did go light on LB and got burned by that decision. They adjusted to Milano being out after a few weeks, but missing Benford (MLB) was bad. And then getting AJ Klein off the sofa?

As of right now this is listed for the start of training camp (yikes) :

Tre'Davious White    CB     Tue, Jan 23     Achilles     IR. Injured Reserve
Jordan Phillips    DT     Mon, Jan 22     Wrist     IR. Injured Reserve (retiring)
Damien Harris    RB     Mon, Jan 22     Concussion     IR. Injured Reserve
Taylor Rapp    SAF     Mon, Jan 22     Calf     Questionable for the start of training camp
Baylon Spector    LB     Mon, Jan 22     Back     Questionable for the start of training camp
Gabe Davis    WR     Mon, Jan 22     Knee - PCL     Questionable for the start of training camp
Terrel Bernard    LB     Mon, Jan 22     Ankle     Questionable for the start of training camp
Christian Benford    CB     Mon, Jan 22     Knee     Questionable for the start of training camp
Matt Milano    OLB     Fri, Jan 19     Leg     IR. Injured Reserve
Nyheim Hines    RB     Fri, Jan 19     Knee     NFI-R for the start of training camp
Tommy Doyle    OT     Fri, Jan 19     Knee     IR. Injured Reserve
Justin Shorter    WR     Fri, Jan 19     Hamstring     IR. Injured Reserve
Zach Davidson    TE     Fri, Jan 19     Undisclosed     IR. Injured Reserve

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

crawhammer
9 minutes ago, Ann said:

How about CB 1, 3,  LB 1, 2, 3 (they got a guy off the sofa for the playoffs) S 3, DT?

The linebackers being hurt was the thing. McDermott even mentioned he'd never coached a game with only three linebackers available. Beane said they probably did go light on LB and got burned by that decision. They adjusted to Milano being out after a few weeks, but missing Benford (MLB) was bad. And then getting AJ Klein off the sofa?

Reportedly Klein played great in the wild card, he had the stats, and that was the narrative. It's sort of a 180 to then say they were at a huge disadvantage with him being on the field again in the divisional. I get the injuries were cumulatively a lot but the team was on a 6-0 run with a lot of praise given to the coaching staff and players for keeping that defense rolling. Yet when they get spanked by an underwhelming Chiefs offense (by their standards), suddenly we're rolling out the injury excuse.

Here's my bottom line on this... Josh Allen was 100%. The offense was reasonably healthy. Davis was out, and that didn't help, but he had been entirely ineffective for many games during the season when healthy. Diggs had a huge drop. Allen and Sherfield didn't connect on a deep ball. Allen blew it with Shakir wide open in the middle of the end zone. Bass choked. Despite the injuries the plays were there to be made to win the game and they didn't get it done.

• Like 1

crawhammer
24 minutes ago, Ann said:

Gabe Davis    WR     Mon, Jan 22     Knee - PCL     Questionable for the start of training camp

Is this guy wanted back with the team in 2024? I say not at the expense of going after a better receiver like Higgins or Evans. If Davis is willing to take WR3 money, then fine, but he won't so goodbye. Shakir can ably fill the WR3 role next season. The team needs Diggs at his best and a legitimate WR1/2 opposite him.

33 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

Reportedly Klein played great in the wild card, he had the stats, and that was the narrative. It's sort of a 180 to then say they were at a huge disadvantage with him being on the field again in the divisional. I get the injuries were cumulatively a lot but the team was on a 6-0 run with a lot of praise given to the coaching staff and players for keeping that defense rolling. Yet when they get spanked by an underwhelming Chiefs offense (by their standards), suddenly we're rolling out the injury excuse.

Klein played the best game of his career against Pittsburgh. No one expected it twice (or once), and yes, he was a big step-down. 

“Suddenly?” You must not have read the injury concerns in the game week thread. The injuries accumulated throughout the season, but the addition injuries suffered in the Pittsburgh game were decimating.

33 minutes ago, crawhammer said:

Here's my bottom line on this... Josh Allen was 100%. The offense was reasonably healthy. Davis was out, and that didn't help, but he had been entirely ineffective for many games during the season when healthy. Diggs had a huge drop. Allen and Sherfield didn't connect on a deep ball. Allen blew it with Shakir wide open in the middle of the end zone. Bass choked. Despite the injuries the plays were there to be made to win the game and they didn't get it done.

Anyone blaming this game on Josh Allen needs to take a remedial football course. As said a number of times, drops off hands of receivers were devastating. Chris Jones block of Dawson into Allen was a great defensive play, and doomed the Allen to Shakir catch. 

At this point, I have to question if you are trolling.

• Applause 2
  • FANtastic 1

crawhammer
9 minutes ago, Ann said:

At this point, I have to question if you are trolling.

I've been here since August, if I was trolling you would have picked up on it already. I'm just giving honest opinion.

10 minutes ago, Ann said:

Anyone blaming this game on Josh Allen needs to take a remedial football course.

Agreed. The team in general would be completely screwed without him. But that's an obvious observation of any team with an elite quarterback.

12 minutes ago, Ann said:

As said a number of times, drops off hands of receivers were devastating.

The Diggs drop was brutal. That may have been the best throw of Allen's lifetime.

The Sherfield "drop" could have been a better pass so I'm putting that on both the QB and receiver. 

The Chiefs had the most drops and highest drop% in the NFL this season. Yet Mahomes is playing in another AFCCG. All time greats have to overcome obstacles too. 

19 minutes ago, Ann said:

Chris Jones block of Dawson into Allen was a great defensive play, and doomed the Allen to Shakir catch.

I disagree. Dawson got beat badly but Allen had room to move in the pocket. One step to his right would have given Allen enough time/room to get a better pass off there. Did this one play lose the game? Of course not but a TD there probably wins it.

I've been saying it all season, I think Allen is a tremendous football player, but he's gaining the reputation of an elite QB who underachieves. Given his enormous talent, he should be firmly in the discussion of who's the best QB in the NFL today. But now he's 0-4 to Mahomes and Burrow in the postseason and he's looking up at Lamar with 2 league MVP's and a possible ring. Again, I have tremendous respect for Allen, but imo he blew it on that one play with Shakir wide open in end zone. 

43 minutes ago, Ann said:

Klein played the best game of his career against Pittsburgh. No one expected it twice (or once), and yes, he was a big step-down. 

“Suddenly?” You must not have read the injury concerns in the game week thread. The injuries accumulated throughout the season, but the addition injuries suffered in the Pittsburgh game were decimating.

Yet they had the ball at the KAN 26 with 2 minutes left in the game. Only down 3 points. Their last 3 drives they ran 23 plays for only 59 yards. They had golden opportunities to win in regulation or at least tie the game. They didn't get it done. I'm a Pats fan first but I have no problem recognizing another team can be great or rooting for that team. I was pulling for Buffalo in this postseason, and specifically this game, so I'm disappointed too. But I still believe Allen will win a Super Bowl in a Bills uniform. The only other QB of his caliber in the history of the NFL to not win a Super Bowl is Dan Marino. I don't see Allen ending his career as another Marino.

Rochesterny

Whether you think it coaching or not something is missing to get this team over the hump. What that is who knows. It maybe the coaching. It maybe the players. Or a combination of both. But look you got receivers dropping balls in their hands. Look got #1 receiver getting paid kings ransom and in the big game does little and drops key catch. Allen needs more support than that. The defense played well despite injuries but someone tell me why does one let kelce get so wide open. Would have double covered him all game long and have their scrubs wide outs beat us. Would have gamble on that. Then get 3 points in red zone when should have scored touchdowns. Coaches can do so much but players have to execute. The great ones when game is for all marbles know how to dig deep to get to next step when it matters. For me my view is we have issue with both coaching and player combined. It combination of things. Say what you will about Allen. Btw makes me super mad 😡 to hear all negative things being said about him. From my view despite the mistakes he plays with heart ❤️ and gives 100% all time every time. There are handful of players on the bills team that show up and show up hard and there a bunch who imo are soft. As for defense I think they did fine despite the injuries. But honestly it needs serious retooling there some building blocks. As for coaching willing to give it another year and see what McDermott does to be fair. If get same result but different year then yes coaching got to be looked at. Sean should not get comfortable here his seat should be very hot right now. Also they have to get the salary cap under control. Anyways just my opinion 

Edited by Rochesterny

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Rochesterny said:

Whether you think it coaching or not something is missing to get this team over the hump.

Luck.

• Like 3

Alaska Darin
20 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

So then we're &#%$ed?

Since God appears to hate Buffalo?  Probably.

• Sad 1

crawhammer
52 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Luck.

It's not luck. They've gotten their fair share of it.  Their best players need to play better in the biggest moments.

• Doh! 1

5 hours ago, Ann said:

This is on coaching. Everybody everywhere knew Klein couldn't cover Kelce yet there he was being asked by the defensive mental midget to do it. Instead of putting the way more athletic Williams, which worked later in the game,  or 3rd safety out there McDummass put Klein out there thinking that was a good matchup. The sample size and stats say McDermott is a horrible HC and DC in the playoffs, what reason is there to continue to go forward with him, there isn't one.

They can't get rid of McDermott fast enough IMO!

Edited by Big Gun
  • Cheers 2