Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Is McDermott the HC for the future???

SquirminThurman

20 hours ago, Rochesterny said:

As I think about the question was reflecting all of the bills coaches over the years the Bills had the following winning coaches are 

1) Marv Levy

2) Sean McDermott 

3) Wade Phillips

4) Chuck Knox - barely

Even though have some doubts about coaching staff can’t argue with results.

But at some point this organization will need to get over the hump get in and then win Super Bowl. Question in my mind can McDermott coach a team to break that barrier ? That is the question in my mind.

Buffalo Bills head coach record

Coach Years Record Win percentage Playoff record
Sean McDermott 2017-2023 73-41-0 64.0% 5-6
Rex Ryan 2015-2016 15-16-0 48.4% 0-0
Doug Marrone 2013-2014 15-17-0 46.9% 0-0
Chan Gailey 2010-2012 16-32-0 33.3% 0-0
Dick Jauron 2006-2009 24-33-0 42.1% 0-0
Mike Mularkey 2004-2005 14-18-0 43.8% 0-0
Gregg Williams 2001-2003 17-31-0 35.4% 0-0
Wade Phillips 1998-2000 29-19-0 60.4% 0-2
Marv Levy 1987-1997 110-65-0 62.9% 11-8
Hank Bullough 1986 4-12-0 25.0% 0-0
Kay Stephenson 1983-1985 12-36-0 25.0% 0-0
Chuck Knox 1978-1982 37-36-0 50.7% 1-2
Jim Ringo 1977 3-11-0 21.4% 0-0
Lou Saban 1962-1965, 1972-1976 68-54-4 55.6% 2-2
Harvey Johnson 1971 1-13-0 7.1% 0-0
John Rauch 1969-1970 7-20-1 26.8% 0-0
Joe Collier 1966-1968 14-26-2 35.7% 0-1
Buster Ramsey 1960-1961

11-16-1

I expected Hammerin' Hank Bullough to be at the bottom in terms of win %, but thankfully my brain let me forget the likes of Harvey Johnson.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crawhammer said:

Reportedly Klein played great in the wild card, he had the stats, and that was the narrative. It's sort of a 180 to then say they were at a huge disadvantage with him being on the field again in the divisional. I get the injuries were cumulatively a lot but the team was on a 6-0 run with a lot of praise given to the coaching staff and players for keeping that defense rolling. Yet when they get spanked by an underwhelming Chiefs offense (by their standards), suddenly we're rolling out the injury excuse.

Here's my bottom line on this... Josh Allen was 100%. The offense was reasonably healthy. Davis was out, and that didn't help, but he had been entirely ineffective for many games during the season when healthy. Diggs had a huge drop. Allen and Sherfield didn't connect on a deep ball. Allen blew it with Shakir wide open in the middle of the end zone. Bass choked. Despite the injuries the plays were there to be made to win the game and they didn't get it done.

Klein wasn't assigned to cover Kelce in the Pittsburgh game.  He really struggled with that on a number of plays.  He's certainly not the first, but he's lost a step and there's a reason he's been often unemployed or on a practice squad the past 2 seasons.   

The Bills had the opportunity to win the game, but they didn't win it.  Yes, a few plays not well executed and one coaching decision that stands out mattered in the end.   

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

I expected Hammerin' Hank Bullough to be at the bottom in terms of win %, but thankfully my brain let me forget the likes of Harvey Johnson.  

Ah Hank Bullough. At least he provided laughs.

Just now, Ann said:

Ah Hank Bullough. At least he provided laughs.

Yes, especially if you've read the Smerlas book.  

• Cheers 1

Sig1Hunter
5 hours ago, crawhammer said:

The Diggs drop was brutal. That may have been the best throw of Allen's lifetime

Better than the one he threw that hit Beavis in the nuts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Big Gun said:

This is on coaching. Everybody everywhere knew Klein couldn't cover Kelce yet there he was being asked by the defensive mental midget to do it. Instead of putting the way more athletic Williams, which worked later in the game,  or 3rd safety out there McDummass put Klein out there thinking that was a good matchup. The sample size and stats say McDermott is a horrible HC and DC in the playoffs, what reason is there to continue to go forward with him, there isn't one.

They can't get rid of McDermott fast enough IMO!

nope

Edited by Fansince88

Alaska Darin
49 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

Klein wasn't assigned to cover Kelce in the Pittsburgh game.  He really struggled with that on a number of plays.  He's certainly not the first, but he's lost a step and there's a reason he's been often unemployed or on a practice squad the past 2 seasons.   

The Bills had the opportunity to win the game, but they didn't win it.  Yes, a few plays not well executed and one coaching decision that stands out mattered in the end.   

Mason Rudolph also isn't Patrick Mahomes.

I don't get why people are so up in arms...the best possible scenario for the BILLS coming into that game was having the ball with 2 minutes to go and a chance to win the game with the offense.  McDermott was in a tough spot with Benford, White, Milano, Bernard and Rapp all out and Jones, Douglas, Poyer, and Hyde playing at less than 100%.

KC lost their starting OTs before the Super Bowl and their offense went to absolute shit, scoring 9 points and Mahomes running for his life on the majority of passing downs.

A big part of winning championships in any sport is being healthy when it matters most.  The BILLS weren't and it was costly.  It is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Ninety-4 said:

Kay Stevensons short reign couldn't have been much better than Bullough's

• Like 2

Fansince88
25 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Mason Rudolph also isn't Patrick Mahomes.

I don't get why people are so up in arms...the best possible scenario for the BILLS coming into that game was having the ball with 2 minutes to go and a chance to win the game with the offense.  McDermott was in a tough spot with Benford, White, Milano, Bernard and Rapp all out and Jones, Douglas, Poyer, and Hyde playing at less than 100%.

KC lost their starting OTs before the Super Bowl and their offense went to absolute shit, scoring 9 points and Mahomes running for his life on the majority of passing downs.

A big part of winning championships in any sport is being healthy when it matters most.  The BILLS weren't and it was costly.  It is what it is.

100% or 900% (SAE or Metric I believe) agree with you. I went into that game 100% expecting to be a close win or a loss. Anyone that Judges the coaching staff or the team as a whole based on the team that came out of the Pittsburgh game doesn't know football. The way I see it, get up, dust the dirt off and move on. No matter what I want them to do they are going to do what they do. Also regardless of what they do in the off season, I will believe they can go go undefeated right through the Super Bowl. I'm a fan. A really foolish fan! Please sir, may I have another. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

crawhammer
20 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Serious question... what happened on the TD pass where Kelce was basically uncovered?  Who missed their assignment on that one?

You guys know more about Klein's history than I do but it seems like a pretty egregious coaching decision to have him "covering" Kelce.  The Bills coaching was poor in this game even taking into account the obvious plays where the players failed to execute.

2 hours ago, crawhammer said:

Serious question... what happened on the TD pass where Kelce was basically uncovered?  Who missed their assignment on that one?

You guys know more about Klein's history than I do but it seems like a pretty egregious coaching decision to have him "covering" Kelce.  The Bills coaching was poor in this game even taking into account the obvious plays where the players failed to execute.

Don't know the answer to your question as I haven't looked at replay and that might not answer it for me either.  Klein was matched up in what looked like man coverage or middle zone on Kelce several times and couldn't hang.  Milano often was matched up with Kelce in previous games but he was out too and his backup wasn't fully healthy and didn't play the whole game either.   As for Klein, It's more complicated than just covering him with someone else as those changes affect other aspects of coverage on the field on any given play.  The Bills simply didn't have a good healthy option at MLB for the game.  Could the coach have schemed something different?  Probably but he had a lousy hand with so many players out.

A healthier, not even fully healthy Buffalo D in this game would have forced a couple more punts and that would have been the difference in the game IMO.  I don't think a team can stop Mahomes and the good supporting cast with a pre-season defense.   

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 2

Fansince88
17 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Apparently not?

Chris Collinsworth said "I agree 900% of the time you catch a ball with your hands but..." first off there isn't anything over 100%, secondly how can you have a but if your 900% sure.... Mike's response "interesting"

• Like 3