Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Is McDermott the HC for the future???

SquirminThurman

SquirminThurman
43 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Personally I thought this was one of our few losses this year 

Jets/ Pats/ Broncos/ Eagles

JA walked off the field with the lead and 3:00 or less to go, or a conservative approach in OT.

The Bills gave up late leads to Zach Wilson and Mac Jones....

They blew a game with 12 men on the field on ST

None of those teams was the 9-1 Eagles away.

It's not the QB or the offense Fansicne88....

JA left the game with the lead in all of those games, and is on the bench when the team blows it.

Should he play LB too???

• Cheers 4

SquirminThurman
4 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

It's fair to question why McD didn't replace Dabol with a much more experienced OC than Ken Dorsey.  

It's not the offense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquirminThurman said:

Jets/ Pats/ Broncos/ Eagles

JA walked off the field with the lead and 3:00 or less to go, or a conservative approach in OT.

The Bills gave up late leads to Zach Wilson and Mac Jones....

They blew a game with 12 men on the field on ST

None of those teams was the 9-1 Eagles away.

It's not the QB or the offense Fansicne88....

JA left the game with the lead in all of those games, and is on the bench when the team blows it.

Should he play LB too???

Your reading comprehension needs work. I had this written down as a loss before the season began. Is that easier for you to comprehend?

Edited by Fansince88
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

And plan to coach against him for years to come twice a year.

not a problem if the game is close at the end

guaranteed his defense will fold

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1
  • Boo 1

43 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Jim Harbaugh would be worth checking out

willing to push the limits to get an advantage to win is a good thing

would probably consider an Ernie Adams clone to help Josh identify the winning option route on every play.

Those option routes worked great for NE when TB wasn't guessing what route his WR was opting to

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

It's not the offense

But is has been at times.  Allen fumbled the ball on his own 27 yard line late in game 1 against the jets.  Jets then got a FG to tie the game.  He also threw a pic in the 4th quarter on the Jax 7 yard line.  2 turnovers against the Bengals and 3 turnovers against the Broncos.  Close games each of them and turnovers in bad parts of the field (their own end or when driving in opponent territory) likely made a difference.

• Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants

I agree that there is no plan after McDermott. That doesn't mean I have to believe he's going to take this team to the Super Bowl. I'm a little tired of hearing all of the criticism of Josh Allen for what has arguably been largely an issue with management from where i am sitting. Before you go off on a tangent about how stupid I am and how great this staff is; I am not excusing any player mistakes. 

First; you have all of the controversy surrounding Leslie Frazier last year. It's a little weird to see the same end of game folding on defense. Am I the only one who is taking that along with the revelation earlier this year that paints McDermott as some kind of control guy? I get it, head coach...but that doesn't mean he always knows best. That's why there are coordinators. Was it really Leslie Frazier last year? Or was it McDermott insisting on his way? The longer this goes on the more I am leaning toward the latter. 

Second; Cap space and injuries. Can't be planned for. They happen. I get it. But, it is also common knowledge that older players are more susceptible. Is Beane going to be able to fill the voids in 2024? We went all in on a very expensive 34 year old Von Miller, who is (was) very good and it bit us in the ass. Told they were one piece away. It's clear we were more than one piece away. Heading into 2024; we will be many pieces away. What are they going to do? Betting the farm is fine when odds are in your favor. Not sure how he is going to do this. I will say it is nice to see some of the younger players come into their own. 

Third; player mistakes. Allen included. Comes down to two things, coaching and player execution. I list coaching first because that is where it starts. Taking all your players, different strengths with different weaknesses and plugging them into a system in which they are meshed and succeed. I laughed when Sean said a couple weeks ago after the FG snafu; "We practiced that a couple times". 

Fourth; player reactions on the field. I don't see too much infighting. Haven't heard of any locker room turmoil that would indicate players are getting frustrated with each other. However; I am thinking there were many disgruntled employees with Dorsey on offense and I am wondering if that isn't carrying over to McDermott. The players are living it. We just get to see it on TV and listen to pundits explain things to us in their own way. These players know what they are seeing on the field more than anyone else. Their reactions tell a lot more than a tweet.

I am not a coach. Sure. But, I think we are in trouble moving forward. I will agree with Sean, still a good team but we have a problem. Josh Allen is not it. McDermott may not be it either but it's hard to tell right now. 

I'll end with this because it is important. Sean is not stupid. But maybe he's putting too much on himself. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Ann said:

He's not wrong.

He is also 100% correct, outside of one game, it is not the fault of the offense. The lone game that you could lay on the offense, was last year's ouster, the defeat against the Bengals in the playoffs. Other than that lone game, it is all on the defense.

• Like 3

I don't know enough about football to know whether McD should go or stay.  I do know that when someone makes a mistake, especially in as visible a position as head coach of an NFL team, they need to admit it.

I'm sick of Steve Tasker, et al., simply refusing to admit that McD made a twenty second mistake in the Eagles game [and that's Tasker's mistake].  Squander twenty seconds rather than run plays to attempt to get to field goal territory ? unacceptable.  Nowhere have I heard McD admit that he made that mistake.  Not to do so appears outside of the culture McD built in Orchard Park.  Twenty seconds, thirteen seconds begin to add up over a career....

Unless, of course, I'm totally wrong in thinking that moving the ball toward the end zone is more important than kneeling down to run time off the clock.

Edited by Keukasmallie
just pissed!
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Keukasmallie said:

I don't know enough about football to know whether McD should go or stay.  I do know that when someone makes a mistake, especially in as visible a position as head coach of an NFL team, they need to admit it.

I'm sick of Steve Tasker, et al., simply refusing to admit that McD made a twenty second mistake in the Eagles game [and that's Tasker's mistake].  Squander twenty seconds rather than run plays to attempt to get to field goal territory ? unacceptable.  Nowhere have I heard McD admit that he made that mistake.  Not to do so appears outside of the culture McD built in Orchard Park.  Twenty seconds, thirteen seconds begin to add up over a career....

Unless, of course, I'm totally wrong in thinking that moving the ball toward the end zone is more important than kneeling down to run time off the clock.

He did not trust the guy that carried the team.

if he had not lost the locker room before this game, pretty sure it is gone now

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Boo 1

3 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

Which is why taking the TO before the kick was soooooo egregious.  Not only did he make it easy on the kicker (easier, 59 yards on a wet field isn't easy in any case) but he also took 1 extra play away from Allen and the O.

Is there ANY Bills fan that didn't expect Josh Allen with 20 seconds and 2 timeouts to move the ball from the 25 into at least long FG attempt range?  (Well, provided the coach would let him try to do so.)

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

The Guy In Pants
9 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

I am not sure I have ever heard McDermott admit a mistake outside of the coveted "It starts with me" cupcake reply for media purposes. It makes good reading. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants
5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Which is why taking the TO before the kick was soooooo egregious.  Not only did he make it easy on the kicker (easier, 59 yards on a wet field isn't easy in any case) but he also took 1 extra play away from Allen and the O.

Is there ANY Bills fan that didn't expect Josh Allen with 20 seconds and 2 timeouts to move the ball from the 25 into at least long FG attempt range?  (Well, provided the coach would let him try to do so.)

I can tell you with a decent level of certainty that Josh Allen is the guy to do that. After this season; I am 100% certain that I will take the "oops, shit, threw a pick, let me go monster next drive and make it work" over the  "let me mosey along for the appeasement of my coaching staff although nothing is working" Josh Allen. 

Allen is generational talent. We probably don't see another one in Buffalo in our lifetime quite like this kid. It's much easier to replace a coach than it is a player like Allen. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 5
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Spartacus said:

He did not trust the guy that carried the team.

if he had not lost the locker room before this game, pretty sure it is gone now

The effort the guys play with tells me he hasn't lost the locker room.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Foxx said:

The effort the guys play with tells me he hasn't lost the locker room.

you haven't seen any games played after this latest fiasco

https://theathletic.com/5098045/2023/11/29/nfl-coaches-on-hot-seat/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Buffalo Bills

Bills coach Sean McDermott is now front and center needing to have a plan for 6-6 Buffalo to not waste another year within the championship window of their perennial league MVP candidate Josh Allen.

McDermott is known for his attention to detail and his need to micromanage at every level. But right now his only management job should be his defense, which has underperformed this season. That’s where he needs to be a difference-maker on Sundays.

To be fair, some of the Bills’ issues are injury-related, but some have been a function of McDermott’s ill-timed blitzes and less-than-ideal execution. By replacing his defensive coordinator last off-season and installing himself, he has to be directly accountable for the unit’s results. His somewhat defensive responses to questions about his decisions are seen by some as an effort to pass the buck. I would love to see more transparent self-accountability. Sometimes a little humility can go a long way.

Forget about Allen and his propensity to make a crucial mistake. Forget about the dismissal of offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey; at this point it doesn’t matter. Forget about the lack of reinforcements that they may have been able to add to the defense before the trade deadline and didn’t. The point to focus on is that this defense has to play better over the last third of the season or questions will start to be asked about the guy who is leading the charge. Organizational skills be damned, McDermott needs to make a difference on Sundays.

The pass rush has generated sacks (41), but the sub package pressures to affect the opposing QB have been a letdown at critical times. The Bills rank 14th in opponent passer rating and 17th in getting off the field on third downs, per TruMedia. Neither is good enough to advance in the postseason.

The offense is trending in the right direction with the changes instituted by McDermott. Now he must do the same with the side of the ball where his expertise lies.

• Like 4