Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Is McDermott the HC for the future???

SquirminThurman

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Second winningest head coach in all 4 professional sports leagues in the US since 2019.

He ain’t getting fired after one trying season. #BillsMafia

since.jpg.d60d87219d5aff433a17d23b584fd99f.jpg

that's because winning a championship does not seem to be the top priority.

He sure as hell better turn over the DC duties to someone not bound to his late game philosophy

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

that's because winning a championship does not seem to be the top priority.

He sure as hell better turn over the DC duties to someone not bound to his late game philosophy

It keeps the defensive players fresh for the next game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Second winningest head coach in all 4 professional sports leagues in the US since 2019.

He ain’t getting fired after one trying season. #BillsMafia

since.jpg.d60d87219d5aff433a17d23b584fd99f.jpg

At this time he's not getting fired.  For those that want him gone, who's the replacement?  An unproven head coach?  A fired during/after this season coach?  A 10 year younger Bill Belichick?  Bil Cowher leaving the broadcast booth - doubtful.   Harbaugh and if so is he better?  Jeff Saturday (kidding).  

McD has some history of not great clock management and other in-game mistakes.  I feel he's got the defense playing a little better than last season.  I questioned the elevation of Dorsey to OC because the team was in a win now position and it wasn't a good time for on the job training for a new one.  Seems to me a seasoned OC should have been brought in, but McD probably favored continuity.  Mistake IMO.  

Beane I blame for not getting a bigger RB or two on the roster before this season.  

Edited by Ninety-4
  • I don't know 1

11 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

At this time he's not getting fired.  For those that want him gone, who's the replacement?  An unproven head coach?  A fired during/after this season coach?  A 10 year younger Bill Belichick?  Bil Cowher leaving the broadcast booth - doubtful.   Harbaugh and if so is he better?  Jeff Saturday (kidding).  

McD has some history of not great clock management and other in-game mistakes.  I feel he's got the defense playing a little better than last season.  I questioned the elevation of Dorsey to OC because the team was in a win now position and it wasn't a good time for on the job training for a new one.  Seems to me a seasoned OC should have been brought in, but McD probably favored continuity.  Mistake IMO.  

Beane I blame for not getting a bigger RB or two on the roster before this season.  

To the bolded I agree. That said Daboll was hired by the Giants on January 28, 2022. Who is left at that point? That said, Josh pushed for him and Bills hired him on Feb 1st. 

SquirminThurman
On 11/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, Nouseforaname said:

Having a game noted as a loss earlier in the season isn’t anything special.  We can all guess that we might lose to a powerhouse on the road but how we’ve lost all recent games comes down to coaching.  

If he wants to stick with McD, fine but I agree with @Alaska Darin, he’s Tony dungy.

So do I. i actually made a post about this exact comparison (and Andy Reid in Philly).

We agree.

SquirminThurman
On 11/29/2023 at 1:59 PM, Fansince88 said:

I am simply restating my statement and you still think you need my w-L expectations in your office? We agree that Josh does what it takes to win. Where we dont agree is dumping a coach that has earned the right to prove it. Last week, no. Last 5 years yes, IMO he has. I think this struggle is he is managing a game and the D that was thrust upon him after Leslies replacement opportunities were gone because he quit on the team in February.  Im giving him an out for that and willing to see him through another season. 

We generally agree.

The fact remains that McDermott is 17-17 in one score games, and is 1-6 in OT (with JA being 0-6).

McD calls a Hell of a defense no matter his personnel for 55 minutes, then goes into a soft prevent/ cover 2/ cover 3 in the last 5 minutes, especially when poor performance by the offense/ bad day by the defense/ playing another good team happens and they are nursing a 3-7 point lead. But he goes into that two deep/ prevent shell every single time.

I would rather my defensive minded HC have his def play physical/ disruptive football in the last 5 minutes, as they did all game long to stay in it, than sit back and 'not get beat over the top'.

McDermott plays 'not to loose' in close games. He is Tony Dungy in Tampa. You can't do that in the modern NFL and win  championship.

That is my point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

I would rather my defensive minded HC have his def play physical/ disruptive football in the last 5 minutes, as they did all game long to stay in it, than sit back and 'not get beat over the top'

One of my favorite games was when Schwartz blitzed the legend of Kiko on the last play for a sack.

IIRC it was against Miami.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 2
  • FANtastic 2

SquirminThurman
On 11/29/2023 at 9:38 PM, Ninety-4 said:

3 games with leads before the last possession (Pats, Broncos, Eagles).  In Denver game the Bills had 3 turnovers, 3 punts and 1 turnover on downs.  Jets game 3 turnovers and the D held Jets to 16 points in regulation.   Jags, 6 punts and 2 turnovers.  There's blame to go around.  Allen is a generational talent, but you've got a short memory if you don't think the offense hasn't shit the bed in some of the losses.  

I understand your point of view. I shared it for 5+ years. I was hoping to see some coaching adjustments due to the 'Hai; Murray' or '13 seconds' etc. Nope, doing the same things, making the same errors, playing not to loose and coming up small.

At the end of the day you can't look at championship winning football teams that way. Those types of teams win despite the stuff you pointed out. This team has had the lead in the last 3;00 minutes multiple times despite poor play from one unit or another/ or turnovers/ or an egregious penalty disparity. All that matters at that point is that your team has fought their balls off and has a 3+ point lead with 3:00 to go.

McDermott is 17-17 in those situations. He often plays 'not to loose' in regulation and opts for OT. 7 games in OT in 5-6 years??? He is 1-6 in those games.

Can we all agree '13 seconds' was as much on ST as DEF? Ok then. so a team that retains players just for ST has blown it now multiple times on ST when games are on the line?

'13 seconds' no squib kick. Denver '12 men on the field' for a missed FG. I believe the ST coordinators are different.

This team does really well in terribly played games to get close at the end, and then blows it over and over again. Who does that fall on??? Why go soft and weak for OT when you are 1-6 in OT???

It's very very rare JA does not leave the field with a lead, or commits a TO in 3:00 or less or OT. Why is he 0-6 in those games???

That is game management and coaching IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shady said:

McD knew to pull the plug and move on mid season 

people can complain all they want. 

the last 2 games were statistically very good for Josh 

Ironically, McD directed Dorsey to neuter Josh in his running and his low positive demeanor, then basically fires Dorsey the messenger when McDs changes forced the offense into the ditch.

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Ironically, McD directed Dorsey to neuter Josh in his running and his low positive demeanor, then basically fires Dorsey the messenger when McDs changes forced the offense into the ditch.

Not really. 

the Bills need a running game beyond Josh that’s a fact. 

how that running game worked was on the OC. 

Brady is doing both

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

I understand your point of view. I shared it for 5+ years. I was hoping to see some coaching adjustments due to the 'Hai; Murray' or '13 seconds' etc. Nope, doing the same things, making the same errors, playing not to loose and coming up small.

At the end of the day you can't look at championship winning football teams that way. Those types of teams win despite the stuff you pointed out. This team has had the lead in the last 3;00 minutes multiple times despite poor play from one unit or another/ or turnovers/ or an egregious penalty disparity. All that matters at that point is that your team has fought their balls off and has a 3+ point lead with 3:00 to go.

McDermott is 17-17 in those situations. He often plays 'not to loose' in regulation and opts for OT. 7 games in OT in 5-6 years??? He is 1-6 in those games.

Can we all agree '13 seconds' was as much on ST as DEF? Ok then. so a team that retains players just for ST has blown it now multiple times on ST when games are on the line?

'13 seconds' no squib kick. Denver '12 men on the field' for a missed FG. I believe the ST coordinators are different.

This team does really well in terribly played games to get close at the end, and then blows it over and over again. Who does that fall on??? Why go soft and weak for OT when you are 1-6 in OT???

It's very very rare JA does not leave the field with a lead, or commits a TO in 3:00 or less or OT. Why is he 0-6 in those games???

That is game management and coaching IMO.

The no squib kick at 13 seconds and last week's FG timeout are most egregious.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

We generally agree.

The fact remains that McDermott is 17-17 in one score games, and is 1-6 in OT (with JA being 0-6).

McD calls a Hell of a defense no matter his personnel for 55 minutes, then goes into a soft prevent/ cover 2/ cover 3 in the last 5 minutes, especially when poor performance by the offense/ bad day by the defense/ playing another good team happens and they are nursing a 3-7 point lead. But he goes into that two deep/ prevent shell every single time.

I would rather my defensive minded HC have his def play physical/ disruptive football in the last 5 minutes, as they did all game long to stay in it, than sit back and 'not get beat over the top'.

McDermott plays 'not to loose' in close games. He is Tony Dungy in Tampa. You can't do that in the modern NFL and win  championship.

That is my point.

I agree. I also dont want to see a coach get fired for the last 5 minutes of 17 games. Like I said, get a quality DC and let McD coach the game and not focus on one side only. 

3 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I agree. I also dont want to see a coach get fired for the last 5 minutes of 17 games. Like I said, get a quality DC and let McD coach the game and not focus on one side only. 

yeah, it was really unfortunate that someone forced him to be DC and call the plays, when he already had trouble with in game management decisions as HC.

If only he had a choice to get an actual DC

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

yeah, it was really unfortunate that someone forced him to be DC and call the plays, when he already had trouble with in game management decisions as HC.

If only he had a choice to get an actual DC

Who do you suppose they could have hired after Frazier left on February 27th? Who was still out there?

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
29 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Who do you suppose they could have hired after Frazier left on February 27th? Who was still out there?

That's why the league's Shadow Council told Frazier to leave that late.  To leave the Bills in a bind and hamstring McDermott, so they could have their first openly gay coach, Mike McDaniel, win a division and make the playoffs.  Just in time for election season, too.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

bobby babich

Well, he was DC for Jax and Bears. How many wins did those two teams get with him as DC? Hint, not many.