Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL 2024 Season

Foxx

Ranking NFL team WR, TE, RB talent for 2024 season: Top players
- Bill Barnwell

This is just about running backs, wide receivers and tight ends. In other words, imagine if every set of offensive skill position players got a chance to play with the same average quarterback in an average scheme with average weather, average luck and at an average pace. Who would have the league's best offense?

This is only about on-field performance during the 2024 season. While I talk a lot about contract value and long-term impacts in evaluating the league, all of that doesn't matter once the games start. This is strictly considering what each player might do this season, not what will happen years down the line.

I'm using each player's recent level of play and various advanced metrics to get the best sense of how they performed while attempting to adjust for the context around each of them. Aging curves matter here; we know players in their early-20s are more likely to improve than players in their 30s. When it comes to draft picks, I'm leaving my own feelings about each player out of the equation and relying more on historical performance for draftees in their respective ranges during their rookie seasons. In other words, to estimate what Chargers wideout Ladd McConkey will do in his rookie season, I'm looking at the typical performance by receivers chosen early in Round 2.

Wide receivers are weighted more heavily than running backs or tight ends. I'm just following the NFL's lead here. Justin Jefferson makes $35 million per season. Christian McCaffrey is the only back making over $15 million per year. Twenty different wide receivers are making more than $20 million per season, a figure no running back or tight end can match.

24. Buffalo Bills

2023 rank: 20 | 2022 rank: 10

This is a second straight drop for the Bills, who saw positives from their young players mixed with disappointing years from their veterans in 2023. James Cook ranked sixth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage over the second half of the season and averaged 2.1 yards per route run over that stretch, although he was only running about 14 routes per game in his role. There's the potential for massive upside with Cook if he's on the field more often, although fumbles were a problem in 2023. Dalton Kincaid wasn't as explosive as hoped, but talk about a reliable pair of hands, as the rookie tight end caught more than 80% of his targets. He had five games with 65 yards or more after sitting out the Week 6 win over the Giants.

The wide receivers? Not so much. Stefon Diggs dropped from fourth to 67th in ESPN's advanced receiver metrics, leading the Bills to trade him to the Texans for a second-round pick. Gabe Davis continued to serve as a low-efficiency, heavy-route deep threat, and Buffalo let him leave for the Jaguars in free agency.

If the Bills tried to emulate the Chiefs last year by drafting Kincaid and shifting toward more 12 personnel packages, this year's version is to get rid of the star receiver and replace him in the aggregate. Buffalo will give Khalil Shakir a larger role, drafted Keon Coleman in Round 2 and signed Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Curtis Samuel, Chase Claypool and Mack Hollins in free agency. I'm not sure the formula works quite as well without Travis Kelce, but given how often even the Joe Brady-coordinated Bills throw the football, somebody has to catch passes here.

• Like 1

KD in CA
On 7/9/2024 at 7:34 AM, Ann said:

Translation:  We kicked that MF's ass in both 2021 and 2023....why ain't HE the one changing his name!!!  😠

SquirminThurman
On 7/12/2024 at 9:28 AM, Ann said:

It happens

We should rename Highmark Stadium 'Del Boca Vista' for the Oct 20th game.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Seasons1992
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Who?

How dare you…..he’s a household example of quality, four teams in eight years. 

Just another reason to run up the score when they come to the “crap factory.”

• Like 3

KD in CA
On 7/13/2024 at 7:40 AM, Ninety-4 said:

What a tool.

It sounds like he's trying extra hard to ingratiate himself with the Fish faithful.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 4:11 PM, Seasons1992 said:

“crap factory.”

You rang?

• Haha 1