Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Wacka: I'm OK!

Wacka

ExiledInIllinois
28 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Don't worry about the "experts"

Local honey is good for you.

Yeah...  Good for @mead107... BUT is it good for @Wacka and his transplant? I'd ask a doctor before eating anything raw or unpasteurized as a transplant patient. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I'm allergic to ragweed. Really not into honey. The only things that I know are a total no-no are grapefruit and pomegranates. A enzyme in them  interferes with the activation of the anti-rejection  medicine i your liver. So no Pom, Squirt etc. ever again. Bought a 12-pack of squirt last fall to have it one last time.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

ExiledInIllinois
5 hours ago, Wacka said:

I'm allergic to ragweed. Really not into honey. The only things that I know are a total no-no are grapefruit and pomegranates. A enzyme in them  interferes with the activation of the anti-rejection  medicine i your liver. So no Pom, Squirt etc. ever again. Bought a 12-pack of squirt last fall to have it one last time.

Wow... Even Squirt. That's only got like 1% juice or something.  I guess it's best not to mess around!

I genuinely hate grapefruit, but like Squirt.  Been taking a stating for like 30 years... I always wondered if it would be safe to wash it down with a Squirt. Ha... I never tried, just to be safe! 

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got the wound vac off two weeks ago.Been putting  wet and dry gauze packing on it.  Visiting nurses come Mon and Fri  and I go to ECMC on Wed  for the surgeons to look at how the incision is draining and healing. The right side (deeper) has healed and scabbed over.  Left side is shallower and wider and should scab over this week.  Then monthly visits to the Transplant Center for blood and urine tests.  Got the OK to celebrate 6 months with the new kidney in 2 weeks with a beer or two. Also got the OK to take a antihistamine  when the ragweed starts blooming in 2 weeks.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • FANtastic 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

8/14- tomorrow is 6 months post transplant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last blood test(last week) showed a slightly elevated  antibody level to CMV (Cytomegalovirus, also know as Epstein-Barr virus which causes mono). Today they asked if I had it in the past. I may have had it while i college 40+ years ago, but a lot of people have no symptoms. It lives in your cells like  the chicken pox virus does. In fact, it is a distant relative to the shingles virus.

They will take a blood test for the antibody levels next week and if it is elevated more, they will put me back on a med they had me on  for 2 months after my transplant.

The incision finally scabbed over but they still have  dressing on it unit the scab fans off. All vitals and other tests are fine.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 5
  • Cheers 3

Fansince88
2 hours ago, Wacka said:

8/14- tomorrow is 6 months post transplant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last blood test(last week) showed a slightly elevated  antibody level to CMV (Cytomegalovirus, also know as Epstein-Barr virus which causes mono). Today they asked if I had it in the past. I ay have had it while i college 40+ years ago, but a lot of people have no symptoms. It lives in your cells like  the chicken pox virus does. In fact. it is a distant relative to the shingles virus.

They will take a good test for the antibod levels next week and if it is elevated more, they will put me back on a med they had me on  for 2 months after my transplant.

The incision finally scabbed over but they still have  dressing on it unit the scab fans off. All vitals and other tests are fine.

Continied best wishes and congrats on 6 months. Keep pressing on bud.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Everything is fine on the kidney front.  Coming home from a checkup last Wednesday (8/21), i got into a car accident. My fault. Other driver's airbags went off but mine didn't.  He was fine. My chest  hit the steering wheel.  Cops were called and ambulance showed up for me. Had my brother-in-law take me to an ambulatory center to get checked out.

No broken bones but  bruised pretty bad. Besides the initial bruise, I have a large semi-circular  bruise around my right breast. Also both shoulder blades  hurt.  Hurt the most trying to get in and out of bed and slept sitting on the couch a couple of nights.  Tylenol's helping a lot and last night I spent the whole time in bed.

Told the kidney transplant center about it right away and they said as long as I have no pain below the ribs and the pain doesn't get worse, they will see me at my next scheduled visit on 9/4.

Edited by Wacka
  • Cheers 3

Will have the insurance look at the car tomorrow. Since the car is a 2009, it is likely it will be totaled. Picking up a rental tomorrow  and  will probably be looking for a new (used) car this week.

• 4 weeks later...

7 months now post transplant.  Incision and subsequent  incision to drain accumulating fluid are healed over. No more dressing on it.  Took me off of sodium bicarb pills (for regulating electrolytes) this week. Now down to 28 pills/day from a high of 35 right after transplant. Bruises from car accident are gone now. No more pain. Stopped taking tylenol last week.

Got a 2021 Altima for the new car. Insurance gave me about what I paid for the old 2009  Focus back in 2017.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • FANtastic 4

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Last week was checkup. Createnine level looks good.Down to 1.5. 1 is ideal, was at 5.5 before transplant, 2.2 upon discharge, been slowly going down since.   Told them I had some swelling in left leg so they sent me for a doppler of both to be sure no clots were present. None found. Said maybe due to steroid I am taking (prednisone) so they halved the dose of that and doubled my diuretic. Peeing like a racehorse. Lost a few lbs and the swelling has gone down a lot. PT exercises for my back have helped a lot. Trying to avoid using a cane (just keep it in the car) and when I do grocery shopping I use the motorized cart  because of the distance covered.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 3