Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Which Drivers Really Piss You Off?

Keukasmallie

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, Ann said:

My DIL is a neurological ICU nurse. She has seen things. There is a reason they are called donorcycles. 😞  If I could drive in a tank, I would. 

I've known exactly one motorcycle owner that didn't end up in an ER at some point.  And that's my dad, who rode maybe three miles on his mid-life crisis before he got rid of it.  

When I delivered pizza, one regular spent three months in ECMC with a shattered femur (spiral fracture the entire length of the bone) after a motorcycle accident.  Dad's neighbor had an entire episode of "Rescue 911" cover his accident - rear wheel locked up on gravel, went off-road into a ravine, snapped a good-sized sapling in half with his lower leg.  At Harris Hill and Sheridan, saw a guy go airborne and somehow behead himself on a road sign. 

Fansince88
36 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I assumed he meant bicyclists.

I don't hate motorcyclists.  Even the idiots on rice rockets, lane splitting at 110 in a 55 in heavy traffic, I don't hate, on the principle De mortius nil nisi bonum dicendum est.

I had a female on a Hayabusa fly by me on I476 in PA last summer. I was doing 80mph in the 70mph passing traffic on the left side like you are supposed  to. As I was neaing the next car she, in shorts, tanktop and no helmet lane split at at least 60mph greater than I was going. Bout lost my heart when she screamed by. My thought was just the same. People will talk kindly about her when she is dead

Ninety-4
8 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I've known exactly one motorcycle owner that didn't end up in an ER at some point.  And that's my dad, who rode maybe three miles on his mid-life crisis before he got rid of it.  

Some of the street riders that I've known over the years have had bad mishaps including 2 deaths and another with serious permanent injuries.  All involved collisions with cars.  I raced motocross for 4 years in my teens.  Not just messing around in dirt, but in competition.  When I got to be 18 or so, I rode on the street (unlicensed) several times on borrowed street bikes, maybe 50ish total miles and in that short stint, had enough scares to say nope to 2 wheels on the road.  That after feeling indestructible for years in the dirt.  That made my Mom happy.  

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 3

Uncle Joe

I rode a 175cc motorcycle to High School when I was a teen. Probably 30 miles round trip from country to city and back. In the winter my jeans weren't dry until 11am (this was before biker suits were a thing). I definitely learned to be a defensive driver.
     When I was 21 there was an accident in front of our office building. There was some big ol mama in an LTD with a motorcycle under her tires. The cyclist lay on the pavement probably 35 yards away. He had the right-of-way and she had turned into him. "I just didn't see him," she kept saying , "I just didn't see him,"
    I learned that one could be dead right on a motorcycle, I never got on one again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

CarpetCrawler

Even 200 miles from their state, up in the Adirondacks the answer is Jersey drivers.....hands down.

• Like 2

Ninety-4
On 7/4/2024 at 9:53 PM, mead107 said:

Driverless cars 

Don't worry, they'll be just as reliable as your cell phone because the same people will be writing the code. 

• Like 2

devnull

Drivers who take up four parking spots.  Yes four

Monster 'merica pickup with jacked up suspension, probably never learned how to park his behemoth, so they took up four spots

• Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
18 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Even 200 miles from their state, up in the Adirondacks the answer is Jersey drivers.....hands down.

The Adirondacks don't get Florida drivers?

CarpetCrawler
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The Adirondacks don't get Florida drivers?

Plenty, but they're just slow, not aggressively dumb like the ones from Jersey. 

My hat is off to all of you who live in and around NYC. I don't know how you continually deal with all the traffic and the inevitable parking lots on the freeways.

:hattip:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

Five lanes at an intersection.  Two left-turn-only lanes, two through lanes, one right-turn-only lane.

I watched people, on one light, make a left turn from every single lane.  :facepalm:

Crap Throwing Clavin
18 hours ago, Foxx said:

My hat is off to all of you who live in and around NYC. I don't know how you continually deal with all the traffic and the inevitable parking lots on the freeways.

I spent a weekend driving in Manhattan once, and those 72 hours of driving around NYC cabbies made me a distinctly worse driver.  

When we go up to Cape Cod in September, we will go way the hell out of our way to cross at the old Tappenzee Bridge rather than the GW Bridge.  My wife asked "Why don't we just time our trip to avoid traffic in New York?"  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I spent a weekend driving in Manhattan once, and those 72 hours of driving around NYC cabbies made me a distinctly worse driver.  

When we go up to Cape Cod in September, we will go way the hell out of our way to cross at the old Tappenzee Bridge rather than the GW Bridge.  My wife asked "Why don't we just time our trip to avoid traffic in New York?"  :classic_laugh:

I made the mistake of following Google Maps back in February when I went to measure this job. It was supposed to be the quickest route. It was until I hit the GW. 8:30 at night and it still took me an hour to go 5 miles. I took Throngs Neck and Tappanzee back home, as well as on my current trip here.

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Try Brooklyn these days, where you must share the road with all the Citibike tourists and e-bike delivery idiots who don't follow basic roadway rules -- like one-way street signs.

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

It isn't so much the known pinch-points that you need to deal with every day.  It is the random stuff like roving pothole repairs, or the dumba$$es who don't pull over for a fender-bender that also happens every day.  Or thr first rainy day in two weeks (and everyone forgot how to drive in the rain).  And you don't know where or when that crap is going to bite you in the butt.  But the thing that grinds my soul is when traffic could move reasonably well, but drivers are in a collective zombie-like state and not taking advantage of decent conditions.

But I will say that commuters like me are much more patient when we drive during rush hour through someplace like Binghamton or Syracuse.  The delay is maybe 5 or 7 minutes and I look over at other drivers, and they're so pissed off. I guess everything is relative.

• Cheers 2

I don't mind driving in NYC... a cop at every intersection, no right on reds, and of course, I don't have to get behind the wheel as Hubby does all the driving because he drove there for 10+ years. :classic_tongue:

CarpetCrawler
On 7/15/2024 at 1:34 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

From the NJ Turnpike get on the Palisades Interstate Parkway north. Take exit 9E to the NYS Thruway (87/287) cross the TZ Bridge, stay on 287 East (Cross Westchester Expressway), zip past White Plains, and catch back up to I95 again just before the CT border. It's not much of a time difference and you'll save about $10 on the toll crossing the Hudson. 

If traffic looks bad on 95 through Stamford, you could even bail and take the Merritt Parkway (Hutchinson River Pkwy north ->becomes the Merritt at CT border) and get back to it farther into CT, in Milford I think?

If you go that way, honk at exit 7 on the PIP, I'm about 2 miles from there. 

• Like 1

devnull

Morons that don't understand 4 way stops.

I pulled up to a 4 way stop with somebody across the intersection and another to my left, both already stopped.  It took a few seconds for the oncoming car them to decide its his turn.  Then dude to my left sits there for a few more seconds until he figures out its his turn.

And then a few minutes later on my return trip, I pull up to the exact same 4 way with a car stopped to my left.  after a few seconds he honks at me

• Like 1