Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Leftist Protests

B-Man

Uncle Joe

Portland police return to PSU after protesters break into library again

Deja vu all over again (oh, and defund the police):

"A crowd of about 150 people, many dressed in black and wearing masks looked on from the South Park Blocks. An organizer yelled, “if you have visible tattoos cover them. Cover your eyebrows. Cover your mouths.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2024/05/protesters-portland-police-return-to-psu-hours-after-library-cleared.html

• Popcorn 1

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• devnull

• IDBillzFan

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 hours ago, Ann said:

1) Grading is entirely up to the professors.  Had one class in grad school where all you had to do to get an A was to pick 40 questions from his just-published textbook and check that he got the answers right (it was a weird class.  Professor looked and sounded like Pat Morita, there were five students - four Chinese guys and me.)  Professors have a LOT of leeway in how they grade.  

2) Don't forget, the protesters are a very small minority of the school's students (a couple hundred protesters out of a student body of about 35,000.)  Unless this professor's class is specifically something like "How to protest Israeli occupation of Gaza 101," this benefits a far greater number of normal students than it does protesters.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Ann said:

But the National Anthem has a verse no one ever sings that mentions slavery.  So this is white supremacist hate speech.  When are colleges going to crack down on it?  

(Not even kidding.  I expect this will happen one way or another.)

• Haha 1
  • Popcorn 2

Federal funding of universities, 2023:

Columbia: $1.2 billion

Penn: $955.6 million

NYU: $805.5 million

Yale: $776.8 million

Cornell: $736.2 million

Harvard: $676.1 million

UT Austin: $645 million

Berkeley: $451.4 million

Princeton: $403 million

GWU: $200.2 million

• Angry 2
  • Facepalm 1

RochesterRob
6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

1) Grading is entirely up to the professors.  Had one class in grad school where all you had to do to get an A was to pick 40 questions from his just-published textbook and check that he got the answers right (it was a weird class.  Professor looked and sounded like Pat Morita, there were five students - four Chinese guys and me.)  Professors have a LOT of leeway in how they grade.  

2) Don't forget, the protesters are a very small minority of the school's students (a couple hundred protesters out of a student body of about 35,000.)  Unless this professor's class is specifically something like "How to protest Israeli occupation of Gaza 101," this benefits a far greater number of normal students than it does protesters.

Got an A - in a Cornell American History (1929-1945) class for writing essay material which was critical of FDR.  How often does that ever happen in a major university of the USA?  Another history professor at Cornell (New York History 1800-1850) went easy on me for being sick while taking a midterm.  I think he liked me because I knew a lot about the Erie Canal and people such as Joseph Smith (founder of Mormon Church) along with the War of 1812 and the Battle of Lake Erie.  I wish that my memory was that good today!

• Applause 2

Cinga
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Most of those are private schools, WTF?

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Cinga said:

Most of those are private schools, WTF?

I'd wager a good portion of it is research grants to individual professors, not direct funding to the schools themselves.  

4merper4mer
2 hours ago, Ann said:

Palestine will be free is a classic.  If Israel disappeared tomorrow, what form of government would be implemented by Palestine?  How “free” would it actually be?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Cinga
10 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'd wager a good portion of it is research grants to individual professors, not direct funding to the schools themselves.  

I'm sure you're right on that but as you know, those grants are often awarded based of the political agenda of the administration in charge when it is being awarded.

It' harder to find political studies being done but I'm also sure you would agree there are way to many ridiculous studies paid for by American taxpayers, remember shrimps on a treadmill? 

Here are some good ones with probably the most ridiculous being the one the NIH did in Russia on "zombie cats" thought the development of an anal print toilet is a close second

https://nypost.com/2022/07/02/watchdog-calls-out-the-governments-most-ridiculous-spending/

And some more, did you know older workers bring valuable knowledge to the job or that the Mexican drug war has led to an increase in murders?

https://time.com/4026473/ridiculous-science-studies/

Yeah, we paid for that stupid shit in our institutions of "higher learning" which are really just ways to milk the system doing stupid shit. Funny, was just thinking how ridiculous it would sound in an interview if I were asked, "What study did you base your doctorate on?" and I replied that i studied the affect of hurricane force winds in lizards

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
37 minutes ago, Cinga said:

I'm sure you're right on that but as you know, those grants are often awarded based of the political agenda of the administration in charge when it is being awarded.

As someone who's been involved in federal grant awards from both sides...they're really not.  I could give concrete examples, except I'd be arrested for it.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

Cinga
37 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

As someone who's been involved in federal grant awards from both sides...they're really not.  I could give concrete examples, except I'd be arrested for it.

Oh? How then did they get a consensus on things like climate change? If you want to prove something along the lines that suits that political agenda, you only fund studies that prove it, very simple and provable concept especially with something as politically motivated and charged as global warming since we have seen grants even pulled from people that disagree with it being manmade

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

devnull
2 hours ago, Cinga said:

Oh? How then did they get a consensus on things like climate change? If you want to prove something along the lines that suits that political agenda, you only fund studies that prove it, very simple and provable concept especially with something as politically motivated and charged as global warming since we have seen grants even pulled from people that disagree with it being manmade

And when a study contradicts The Narrative, denounce it as funded by Big Oil.

• Like 2

Fansince88
On 5/4/2024 at 3:34 PM, Ann said:

Why is the Federal Government funding a private institution.  

(Just kidding. I know why)

• Like 3