Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

This thread is for athletes, results, etc. If your post has a political aspect, please post it in this thread>>Summer Olympics 2024 in the Current Events sub-forum.  

Thank you!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Reading the article, there's only 100MM AC Units in the entire EU vs 360(?)MM AC Units in the US.

Well, considering Rome and NYC are at essentially the same latitude and most all of Europe is further north than that and most all of the US is further south than that, it isn't really all that shocking that Europeans don't have the same need for AC as those in the US have.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Reading the article, there's only 100MM AC Units in the entire EU vs 360(?)MM AC Units in the US.

Well, considering Rome and NYC are at essentially the same latitude and most all of Europe is further north than that and most all of the US is further south than that, it isn't really all that shocking that Europeans don't have the same need for AC as those in the US have.

We have AC all the time in Europe, whether we stay in hotels or Airbnbs. A lot of the time they are hangers (inside on walls), but we’ve encountered more traditional central AC the last few years.

Many hotels do the thing where you have to insert your keycard to get electric (which includes heat and air), they have motion for the heat/ac (which sucks overnight), and we recently stayed in a place (Airbnb) that if you opened a door (to the terrace or to the hallway), the AC shut off automatically.

• Cheers 2

Ninety-4

Shout out to Quincy Wilson, 16 year old who won his 400M heat in 44.66 in round 1 of the Olympic trials against some of the big boys.  He'll advance to the next round and has a real chance to make the team.  His time is a U18 world record.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Ninety-4

....And to Marcellus Moore, local kid here who shared a track trainer in high school with one of my sons.  He finished 3rd in his 100M heat today at 10.06 and advances to the next round. Personal best for him I think.  He ran in lane 2 (lane 1 open).  Start is at 3:10.

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Here is an easy link to the events and dates (not the times).  And this isn’t a TV schedule.

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule

Never heard of Olympic “Breaking”. I think my son would excel in that if it is what I picture.  I put my lit, half-smoked cigar on the ground for less than 30 seconds the other night — to let our dog into the house from her walk.  When I turned back to retrieve the cigar I watched him walk over to pick up a basketball he was shooting around (nowhere near where I put it) and on his way he trampled my smoke!  That’s high level “breaking” 

It seems that whenever I tune in to the TV coverage I wind up seeing Water Polo. I have loads of respect for those athletes, because you’ve got to be super fit and strong to play.  But that’s NOT compelling TV. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

MothersMilk
2 hours ago, snafu said:

Here is an easy link to the events and dates (not the times).  And this isn’t a TV schedule.

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule

Never heard of Olympic “Breaking”. I think my son would excel in that if it is what I picture.  I put my lit, half-smoked cigar on the ground for less than 30 seconds the other night — to let our dog into the house from her walk.  When I turned back to retrieve the cigar I watched him walk over to pick up a basketball he was shooting around (nowhere near where I put it) and on his way he trampled my smoke!  That’s high level “breaking” 

It seems that whenever I tune in to the TV coverage I wind up seeing Water Polo. I have loads of respect for those athletes, because you’ve got to be super fit and strong to play.  But that’s NOT compelling TV. 

I'm not a big fan of the Summer games but absolutely love the Winter games. I'll check out some choice events though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

(Unfortunately) 

We should start a pool as to which event will be the first (of many) to be interrupted by protesters.

Also which type of protester will be first ?

Climate

Palestinian 

Animal rights

Ukraine

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

(Unfortunately) 

We should start a pool as to which event will be the first (of many) to be interrupted by protesters.

Climate

Palestinian 

Animal rights

Ukraine

Maybe you'll hit the quadfecta - Palestinian Animal Rights activists protesting the Ukranian War's (and Zionism's) effects on Climate Change.

• Like 3

Ninety-4
On 6/23/2024 at 1:37 PM, MothersMilk said:

I'm not a big fan of the Summer games but absolutely love the Winter games. I'll check out some choice events though.

Swimming and track and field are very globally competitive, and the US has top tier talent and depth in both.  The depth makes our relay teams (swimming and track) really good.  The men's 4x100 relay is one of my favorite events as it takes both speed and technique to win that one.  It's not easy to execute 3 great handoffs at speed and is a thing of beauty when done right.  

• Like 2

KD in CA
On 6/23/2024 at 4:42 PM, B-Man said:

(Unfortunately) 

Climate

Palestinian 

Animal rights

Ukraine

By protesters or by NBC commentators?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

By protesters or by NBC commentators?

Oh, please glue yourselves to the shotput and javelin fields.  

• Haha 1

Uncle Joe
On 6/29/2024 at 12:47 PM, Ann said:

I'm rooting for her after her bout with the yips.

• Like 1

KD in CA
On 7/4/2024 at 8:22 PM, Uncle Joe said:

I'm rooting for her after her bout with the yips.

Im rooting to hear/read her name fewer than six thousand times in the next month.

I have nothing against this young woman, I just despise how the media over saturates the public on their chosen ‘story’.

• Like 2

Uncle Joe
2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Im rooting to hear/read her name fewer than six thousand times in the next month.

I have nothing against this young woman, I just despise how the media over saturates the public on their chosen ‘story’.

See also LeBron. 

I really just despise him.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...