Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Summer Olympics 2024

Hedge

IrishLass

Seemed like they did a nice ode to "Died Suddenly" at the Opening Ceremony.

spacer.png

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Probably an unfair characterization. Sometimes sixth breakfast runs over, and given that there are only so many hours in a day, either seventh lunch or sixth dinner has to get skipped.

• Haha 2

4merper4mer

The Simpsons is a show known for satire.

South Park is a show known for satire with exceptions, notably their accurate portrayal of Canadians.

The Olympics is not an event typically associated with satire.  Further: Satire and outright mockery are sometimes seen differently by the people being satirized or mocked.

I have also seen it reported, somewhat believably that it was not a mockery of The Last Supper, but instead a mockery of some Greek painting.  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha 1

devnull
2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

South Park is a show known for satire with exceptions, notably their accurate portrayal of Canadians.

aWY.gif

• Haha 3

Nouseforaname
Just now, 4merper4mer said:

The Simpsons is a show known for satire.

The Olympics is not an event typically associated with satire.  Further: Satire and outright mockery are sometimes seen differently by the people being satirized or mocked.

You’re 100% correct.

1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

I am agnostic and don't call myself an atheist because never say never.

I found the opening of the Paris Olympics revolting. It wasn't the depiction of the Last Super or an orgy or the mockery or in your face alphabets. It was the sum total, not the parts. The first thing I thought when it was over was, "Why not do this with Islam and Mohamad?" And, after seeing the reaction on X, I wasn't alone in that thought.

It wasn't edgy so much as gross.  It wasn't mockery so much ridiculous.  And it wasn't artistry, so much as presented for shock and because they can and shut-up bigot. 

The "msm" dubbed it 'spectacular' and 'mesmerizing' and couldn't understand why people were upset - and a fair amount of those upset were non-Christians.  There's a reason X and YouTube were scrubbed quickly. And, it wasn't because the people watching found the ceremony wonderous and beautiful (although I gotta admit I thought the metal horse riding down the Seine was incredible, regardless of the alleged message behind it). 

Has class really left our society in the last 15 or so years? If so, why? And, how do we bring it back?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Nouseforaname
1 minute ago, Ann said:

I found the opening of the Paris Olympics revolting. It wasn't the depiction of the Last Super or an orgy or the mockery or in your face alphabets. It was the sum total, not the parts. The first thing I thought when it was over was, "Why not do this with Islam and Mohamad?" And, after seeing the reaction on X, I wasn't alone in that thought.

It wasn't edgy so much as gross.  It wasn't mockery so much ridiculous.  And it wasn't artistry, so much as presented for shock and because they can and shut-up bigot. 

The "msm" dubbed it 'spectacular' and 'mesmerizing' and couldn't understand why people were upset - and a fair amount of those upset were non-Christians.  There's a reason X and YouTube were scrubbed quickly. And, it wasn't because the people watching found the ceremony wonderous and beautiful (although I gotta admit I thought the metal horse riding down the Seine was incredible, regardless of the alleged message behind it). 

Has class really left our society in the last 15 or so years? If so, why? And, how do we bring it back.

I didn’t watch them to be honest.  I saw some pushback on my fb from non religious people as well.

Hopefully with the reaction some changes will be made going forward. 

• Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
32 minutes ago, Ann said:

Has class really left our society in the last 15 or so years? If so, why? And, how do we bring it back?

I may dispute whether or not it intentionally targeted Christianity.

But no argument here.  It was certainly revolting.

The "msm" dubbed it 'spectacular' and 'mesmerizing'

Not mutually exclusive words.  I once saw a two car accident where several people were effectively dismembered.  It was spectacular and mesmerizing...and revolting.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

KARMA.

By Islamic doctrine, all acts are the will of Allah.  So if you lost a match with a dislocated shoulder, then it is the will of Allah.

Or, in the words of Genghis Khan:  "If you had not committed great sins, Allah would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

KARMA.

Nice story, but it doesn’t pass the smell test. You can see on the top left he was competing against someone from Japan.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Nice story, but it doesn’t pass the smell test. You can see on the top left he was competing against someone from Japan.

Yes, poorly written.

He beat the Israeli competitor (1-0) and refused to shake hands, shouting "Allu Akbar"

Lost the next match to the Japanese athlete  who dislocated the jerk's shoulder.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

Yeah, cuz if they mocked the pig &#%$ing Muslims I'm sure it would be ignored, eh...?

20150107__20150108_A13_ND08FRANCETOONSp1

It's cool, though. Let's attack Christians , cuz lol, white people, amiright?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nouseforaname
2 hours ago, Boyst said:

Yeah, cuz if they mocked the pig &#%$ing Muslims I'm sure it would be ignored, eh...?

20150107__20150108_A13_ND08FRANCETOONSp1

It's cool, though. Let's attack Christians , cuz lol, white people, amiright?

For what it’s worth I’m for mocking everyone all  the time including you. 

Edited by Nouseforaname
  • Cheers 2