Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Anyone have surgery to repair a hernia?

Mahoney

Mahoney

I'm going in on Thursday and am curious what to expect.

I'm a bit nervous. Last surgery was to remove my gallbladder, and what should have been an outpatient procedure became a 19-day hospital stay. 😬

• Love 1

Uncle Joe

Inguinal. Not too bad. I would recommend a stool softener before the surgery. (Verify with a professional).
Don't ask me how I know this...but since you did.:chair:

• Cheers 1

Fansince88

My daughter went through the entire set of tests through Golisano Children's Hospital in Syracuse for a Hernia. They tested and assured us it was that. She was 15 at the time.  We went in to get things done and they went in through her belly button. Came into the waiting room and said they could not find a hernia. Turns out she was developing cysts on her left tube and it was painful every other month. That said, how are your monthly cycles?

But serious answer. Brother put it off forever. when he had it dont they put the mesh inside because it is harder to reinjure. Do as little as possible as they suggest and get well my friend. 

• Cheers 1

Mahoney
1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

Inguinal. Not too bad. I would recommend a stool softener before the surgery. (Verify with a professional).
Don't ask me how I know this...but since you did.:chair:

You're right! They've had me on it for three days already to "trick" the body. Thanks for confirming that they're not amateurs. 😄

• Like 1

Mahoney
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

My daughter went through the entire set of tests through Golisano Children's Hospital in Syracuse for a Hernia. They tested and assured us it was that. She was 15 at the time.  We went in to get things done and they went in through her belly button. Came into the waiting room and said they could not find a hernia. Turns out she was developing cysts on her left tube and it was painful every other month. That said, how are your monthly cycles?

But serious answer. Brother put it off forever. when he had it dont they put the mesh inside because it is harder to reinjure. Do as little as possible as they suggest and get well my friend. 

My monthly cycles are fine, thanks -- At least I don't think I'm pregnant! 😉 Thanks for the kind words!

• Haha 1

Fansince88
7 hours ago, Mahoney said:

My monthly cycles are fine, thanks -- At least I don't think I'm pregnant! 😉 Thanks for the kind words!

Be well and best wishes for your surgery!

• Cheers 1

I haven't had it myself, but I have taken care of hundreds who have.

You just need to take it slow, even when you are feeling somewhat better.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

RochesterRob

Yep.  The whole hospital stay was a few hours counting surgery and I got the mesh.  This was in 2017 and several years later no issues.  I was kind of paranoid with the post surgery instructions as it was strongly recommended not to bear down too hard while taking a pooh.  The restart of the lower intestine took one full day as far as everything moving as it should.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

mead107

Had one back in 2001 

was not a big deal. 

Edited by mead107
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the feedback.

It was more severe than initially believed, so it's a good thing I didn't wait. I was surprisingly alert after surgery and drove my family home from the hospital. (The alternative was an inexperienced Asian driver, so I hedged my bet. Mrs. Mahoney would be the first to admit I chose correctly   😁).

It has been a week and I'm largely back to normal (sans heavy lifting). I have a few tips for anyone going through this type of surgery:

• As @Uncle Joe pointed out, start the stool softener days before the procedure. You'll be glad you did around Day 3.
  • Shoot for a Thursday, especially if you have a busy schedule. This allows for one business day in case something goes wrong with pain meds, like the pharmacy's refusal to dispense oxys without checking with the surgeon. It also gives you Friday-Sunday to recover, and you should be good to go by Monday.
  • If they give you a body wrap before sending you home, use it for the first week. It keeps everything "tight" and you can adjust it to your desired comfort level.

Again, thanks, all, for your input.

UP NEXT: Sleep apnea 😴

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Mahoney said:

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the feedback.

It was more severe than initially believed, so it's a good thing I didn't wait. I was surprisingly alert after surgery and drove my family home from the hospital. (The alternative was an inexperienced Asian driver, so I hedged my bet. Mrs. Mahoney would be the first to admit I chose correctly   😁).

It has been a week and I'm largely back to normal (sans heavy lifting). I have a few tips for anyone going through this type of surgery:

• As @Uncle Joe pointed out, start the stool softener days before the procedure. You'll be glad you did around Day 3.
  • Shoot for a Thursday, especially if you have a busy schedule. This allows for one business day in case something goes wrong with pain meds, like the pharmacy's refusal to dispense oxys without checking with the surgeon. It also gives you Friday-Sunday to recover, and you should be good to go by Monday.
  • If they give you a body wrap before sending you home, use it for the first week. It keeps everything "tight" and you can adjust it to your desired comfort level.

Again, thanks, all, for your input.

UP NEXT: Sleep apnea 😴

It sounds like everything turned out well for you! I am so glad you are feeling normal. (I cannot believe you drove home!)

Good luck with the sleep apnea.  Hubby has it, and these days the pressure is registered remotely for adjustments.  He doesn't have to do a sleep study to adjust his C-pap machine.  If he falls asleep with out it on I can tell because he starts to snore. For me, after all these years his machine is now just white noise. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Not a hernia but when they put the transplanted kidney i,they don't remove the ones there. They place it near where the appendix is; Have to move a lot of intestines around to put the new one in Also had 35 staples in my abdomen.  Took over a week to et things moving OK again.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Fansince88
On 8/15/2024 at 2:16 PM, Ann said:

It sounds like everything turned out well for you! I am so glad you are feeling normal. (I cannot believe you drove home!)

Good luck with the sleep apnea.  Hubby has it, and these days the pressure is registered remotely for adjustments.  He doesn't have to do a sleep study to adjust his C-pap machine.  If he falls asleep with out it on I can tell because he starts to snore. For me, after all these years his machine is now just white noise. 

My friend has a wife who acts out her dreams in her sleep. Like knocking the A/C out of the bedroom window because she is putting out the fire that is actually the red light on the front. That said, they had him do the at home study. He stopped breating for 5 hours because she had a really bad night and beat him up 4 times because he was the "intruder". He is beginning to think she is not "acting out her dreams".

• Wow 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2024 at 1:16 PM, Ann said:

Thanks, @Ann! Fully healed now. I have a sleep study scheduled for the 18th, so hopefully this nightmare will be over soon and I'll get the C-pap machine. Good to know that the spouse gets used to the noise!

• Like 4